Preventing excess permissions

rc211

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Question about permissions-
most apps from very reputable brands are requesting microphone recording, video & picture taking, contact access, phone access, and SMS access when they don't need it.- *(know the nex 7 doesn't have phone)

also the updates on the weekend for the google apps almost all are going to record audio & video/pics at any time and without your knowledge or confirmation.

I just got the nexus7, its back in the box and bag, ready to return it because I don't need a spy recording stuff all the time gaining control of my email and sending stuff out without me knowing. Google should pay me for that privilege.

Is this excessive on their part?

and second, can I hack around this, making the OS much more secure than it is- without having to roll my own ROM?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You have phobia imo... do you not know that these apps are build for phone which need that permission and you you are using it on your tablet??

where do you think your email is? with google!! and you fear google will take control of your gmail!! i laughed!! recording audio is for text to speech.
video/Pics is for taking pics in your phone. its an android device.

rc211

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey still birth- as mentioned in the post- *(know the nex 7 doesn't have phone) and you can have a non hosted account with the device.

Going back to the point of the post:
Can I prevent excessive permissions? Or WTF is this Nexus really doing to erode privacy?

This is exactly what you are agreeing to when you update the google apps. View attachment 45899

Or if you have an android phone- View attachment 45900

Google drive taking pics of you at any time; View attachment 45901

You may be "cool" with this, for a variety of reasons, no life, nothing interesting, boring everything, but for me if I have this thing in client meetings and it happens to record or it just starts taking pictures of everything not cool. Are you really are you that cool with privacy invasion? may they should have an optional anal probe.

If you are employed, would you be OK with having your current and future employers see all that you are doing on this forever and still want to keep you?

Can you post all of your credit card numbers, SSN, phone #, pictures of your self on the can with your tablet, all your emails and their contact info so I can call them and sell them things or just harass? And pay me to do that. This is what the nexus 7 is.
Can you post all of your pictures that the apps have taken without your knowledge and post them?

Waiting for your post so the community can take a look at you and examine you android style. There is a reason the camera doesn't face out.

rc211

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Ha ha,
but really no one cares that their info can be taken or 3rd party Chinese app developers can use your camera and mic at will?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You really should return the device. You're not going to be happy with all the apps asking for permission to access the abilities that the device offers.

You should get an ipad, where the company decides for you what functions the 3rd party app should have and then they don't give you a list of permissions so you don't have to worry about them.

-Suntan

rc211

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Like I said its back in the box, I know apple is just as bad/worse-

My question, or rather my curiosity is why everyone just like sheep goes along with this? Like no one in this tread, attempted to answer the question or even state why they are ok with this- its like having a camera in front of your face recording and tracking your every move.

Even linux had SE Linux the NSA's lockdown version but android is wide open. I just cannot wrap my head around this community.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest. I don't care if Google reads my GMail. I don't care if they know my scores on Angry Birds and Bad Piggies. I don't care if they know where I was Saturday afternoon and that I was looking for a Thai restaurant near that location.

You care and it bothers you. We get that. What you don't get is we don't care about that either. :D :D

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
you think that apple dont have this permission?? they just dont display it to you. if that makes it more secure. so be it and be a fool.
btw, go and buy a dumb phone. which will pretty much let you make calls. Microsoft does it, BB does it, iphone does it. you just dont know that.
how foolish is that you are worried that google will read you gmail? all your email resides in google server. if that is a concern make you own email server. thats the only way.
oh hotmail lives in microsoft server.

then you should not be using online service to buy products..

Amazon knows you credit card number... OOOh they will use it.
dont file tax via online/ turbotax or HNR.. they will know you SSN... they are just a company as google is.

like i said you have phobia. go see a doctor.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
If you are worried about permissions apps use then read this and do something about it.

FWIW, I don't think Google will collect data on you without your permission*, and what data they do collect I trust them not to misuse. But if you don't trust Google then disable all the Google apps on your Android device, maybe even flash a custom ROM without them.

*Although you may need to agree to it if you want to use their services.

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
You're best bet is to stop trying to 'wrap your head around this community', return the N7 and leave it at that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I've never downloaded an app that requested camera use (i.e. video recording) that didn't NEED it. Like, my Sudoku app doesn't request that kind of stuff. My photo app does, because--guess what, it NEEDS camera access to take photos. Since the N7 doesn't have a phone, why piss and moan about SMS/phone access? Many reputable apps, by the way, explain why they need permissions that aren't totally straightforward. I don't think you fully understand what permissions are, and why certain apps need them.

If something sounds fishy, don't freaking download it. If you're paranoid and want to live 'off the grid', don't bother getting a tablet or smartphone--or even a phone. And don't call everyone "sheep" because you're too paranoid to live comfortably. I don't know why the hell you think the N7 automatically--fresh from the factory--takes secret pictures and videos of you. My answer to your paranoia is: YOU don't matter. No "big brother" cares about you. Sure they want your search history for ads, or location history for nearby things/statistical data; but nobody f*cking cares enough about you as a single user, to secretly take photos. It's simply illogical. Do you know how much data it would cost Google to constantly upload pics of your ass pocket? They want your money, not you.

I'm sure Google collects an ass-ton of data about me, whether or not I 'allow' it. But what's the harm done? I know for a fact I've turned off all ad/search/etc permissions on everything, but I still get tailored ads. I have several Google accounts, and I get the same ads for each, all tailored for me. LOL funny anecdote--I searched a few YT vids for that Will Ferrell faux-spanish-soap movie, maybe some translated interviews--and ever since, half my YT ads have been in Spanish (don't speak a word of it).

But... I don't care. I don't matter. I'm just anonymous census data, with ads tailored to suit my expenditures. "Big Brother" Google doesn't want pics of my ugly mug holding the tablet in my boring apartment room.

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest. I don't care if Google reads my GMail. I don't care if they know my scores on Angry Birds and Bad Piggies. I don't care if they know where I was Saturday afternoon and that I was looking for a Thai restaurant near that location.

You care and it bothers you. We get that. What you don't get is we don't care about that either. :D :D
Exactly this ^.

I've never even seen my gmail account. If any of Google's evil minions want to read it they're welcome to have at it. Pooh only knows what's in there.

I completely agree with everyone else. As long as it's already packed up, you should just go ahead and send the N7 back.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think you misunderstand the notion of "sheep."

"Sheep" just blindly use something without even knowing what is or can happen.

Personally, I take an active roll in deciding what software gets installed on my device. If I don't like the permissions the app is asking for, Suprise! I just don't install it.

As for native google apps, I don't care. That is an active choice I make. I trust in the logic that a company with $45 Billion in assests has better things to do than personally identify me and my browsing habits. I don't think there is a specific group of google nut-heads just sitting in a room discussing the pron I was looking at, or the coffee mugs with my kid's pictures I ordered for their grandparent's Christmas present last night...

-Suntan

xips

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Question about permissions-
can I hack around this, making the OS much more secure than it is- without having to roll my own ROM?

Secure your N7 app permissions with LBE Security Manager. Grab the latest v4.1.2224 release as it is JB ready. Not everything has been translated into Engrish, so only go with the options you can read & understand. Secure LBE SecMgr (after updating the Virus Database) from net access with DroidWall or it's newer fork AFWall. The only prereq to run these apps is root.

Editorially speaking, I believe I can trust Google. On the other hand, Play Store is full of apps with inappropriate and loose permissions. Locking down permissions on these loose cannons until something better comes along keeps me productive and my life secure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC