Nexus 7 for us? Questions in order to decide...

anon4843263

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I have a DroidX that is about on it's way out due to locking up/freezing apps/constant resets....you name it....but heck it has seen 2 years of good use and I really loved it (will probably keep it until it totally dies due to all the Apps I have paid for)....

A month or so ago a buddy and I went on a camping trip and he had a Kindle Fire.....I had never ever used a tablet and found the device to be REALLY COOL! It had limitations such as accurately posting to some forums and rendering some web pages but I really liked it. My friend suggested that if I liked the Kindle to look into a Google device.

I am not an Apple owner and I have seen I-Pads and handled the "Mini Pad" at the Apple store this weekend and really loved the size of the Mini. We then went to Staples and saw the Nexus 7....

WOW....I really like them both!

Here are things that I would like to do with the tablet that we end up getting....I would like to know if the Nexus 7 can do these things as I am not that familiar with tablets to be honest....

1. Print documents from the nexus 7 to my home printer.....
2. Edit Google Docs as we use Google Drive a ton for our business....
3. Find a way to be able to load my SD card from the digital camera to display on the Nexus (Ipad can do this with some connector)
4. Find a way to transfer files from the PC (documents, MP3, Pictures...etc)
5. Will the Nexus be able to view PDF files?
6. I have been reading that folks can use a cable to use a SD card as storage? How easy is this to use?
7. Is there a way to use my USB memory sticks to transfer files somehow?

Big Question.....

Since I will be losing the Droid X and all my apps were purchased on it....can I use those programs on the Nexus 7 if we get it?????

Thanks in advance folks....I am leaning the Nexus 7 because I really loved the way it felt in my hands and REALLY liked the voice search....very nice!

Our family really is excited about getting a tablet and the Nexus 7 really sounds like something we can all enjoy....

Mike :)

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
1. yes
2. yes
3. dunno...should be able to read it via a card reader
4. you can add files by plugging it in and it shows up as a drive
5. yes
6. yes..buy a $2 app if you don't want to root and only need read access
7. same as (4)
8. yes..use the same google account

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know if the Nexus 7 can....
1. Print documents from the nexus 7 to my home printer.....
2. Edit Google Docs as we use Google Drive a ton for our business....
3. Find a way to be able to load my SD card from the digital camera to display on the Nexus (Ipad can do this with some connector)
4. Find a way to transfer files from the PC (documents, MP3, Pictures...etc)
5. Will the Nexus be able to view PDF files?
6. I have been reading that folks can use a cable to use a SD card as storage? How easy is this to use?
7. Is there a way to use my USB memory sticks to transfer files somehow?
Big Question....Since I will be losing the Droid X and all my apps were purchased on it....can I use those programs on the Nexus 7 if we get it?????
Buy the Nexus 7! It's the best value you can get in a tablet today, it's quite powerful, has an excellent screen and is very versatile and portable. I think it's easier to hold than the iPad Mini, too. It's build quality is not Apple-like (though it is pretty good), but then its price isn't anywhere near Apple-like either! To answer your questions:

1. Yes you can. For printing to your printer that you've set up with Google Cloud Print (either the printer has it built in or you use the Google Chrome browser and that computer is hooked up to the printer), I like the app Cloud Print. EasyPrint is also good. For printing without Google Cloud Print (assuming you have a WiFi enabled printer), try PrinterShare, though it's a bit expensive. If it's an HP WiFi printer, you can use the free HP ePrint Home app.
2. Yes, use the Google Drive app.
3. Yes, (plus see #4) if you want to attach a USB flash drive or SD card reader for viewing photos, use the free Nexus Photo Viewer app. If you want media (photos, videos, documents, and music) copying or streaming, then I'd recommend the Nexus Media Importer app by the same developer, but it costs a few dollars. Either way, you'll need to attach an inexpensive OTG USB cable. Many recommend the $0.87 one from Amazon, but I bought a $3 one from eBay because of mixed reviews for the cheaper cable.
4. Yes, you have multiple options. The easiest is to attach the Nexus 7 to your computer with a USB cable. The N7 will show up as another drive on your computer, and you can transfer back and forth. You can also do this wirelessly. AirDroid is a cool, free app that gives you a very easy to use interface on your computer's browser that lets you interact with your N7 wirelessly. You can also use a free file manager app on your N7 to connect to your computer over your local WiFi network. I'd recommend Solid Explorer or ES File Explorer. You can then see what's on your computer drive, but do have to provide correct permissions.
5. Yes, Android has a built in pdf viewer. But I'd recommend downloading the free Adobe Acrobat Reader app.
6. Yes, for media and some document files, see #4 above. It is easy. But for more versatility of file types, and to transfer from the N7 to the USB drive (instead of only from the drive to the N7), you need to root your device and install the pay app called StickMount.
7. See #4 and #6 above.

And finally, yes, all apps you purchased from Google or another app store are available for downloading onto your other Android devices, assuming that you are using the same Google account (your email address) with each device.

Some other tips:
To really customize and get more out of the interface, install an alternate launcher. I really like Nova Launcher Prime, but then again, it's the only alternative I've ever used. Also, test out some alternative keyboards. I like SwiftKey for Tablet, but there are a ton out there. Of course, you might like the stock keyboard just fine.

To fully utilize the camera, get the free app Camera Launcher for Nexus 7.

You'll want a versatile media player like MX Player or BSPlayer. For music, I like n7player and jetAudio Plus, but there are many from which to choose.

Easy Voice Recorder is a good audio recorder, as is TapeMachine, though only the paid version is worthwhile.

If you have DirecTV at home, I definitely recommend DirecTV Remote+ Pro. It let's you control all the DirecTV receivers around the house from your N7, no matter where you are in the world - great for messing with the family!

For a better calculator, get RealCalc. The free version is very good, and much better than stock.

Need a dictionary? I like WordWeb and Dictionary.com.

GrooVe IP lets you use your Google Voice account to make phone calls with your N7. I tried it using a Bluetooth headset and it worked!

BubbleUPnP is great if you have a DNLA TV, as it allows you to wirelessly stream video and audio files from your N7 to your TV (or computer with the right software).

Other utilities I like are Power Toggles, DiskUsage, Battery Widget? Reborn!, AirDroid, AndroSensor, GPS Test, Field Compass, OS Monitor, WiFi Analytics, Speed Test, Screen Test, and BTmono.

Also, download alternative app store apps. I have 1Mobile Market (go to their website to download it), Amazon (also have to download from their site), and SlideME Market. 1Mobile gives you access to apps that Google Play lists as incompatible with the N7, like CNN and USA Today, among many others. They usually work just fine and really aren't incompatible.

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
people who posted above me has done a freakin good job of answering your question.

so i would say just this . Yes to all your questions.

anon4843263

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks SOO much to all of you for your input!!! This really helps me decide! We stopped by some shops today and ended up heading into the Apple Store OMG :O

The Family was really impressed with the Ipad but were less impressed with their mini version. Comparing the N7 vs the MiniPad was almost a no brainer in my mind...N7 really was nicer in my mind. I also didn't like the fact that you have to purchase the additional connectors that we would have needed.

I also was a big fan on the N7 that I can hook it up to the PC and transfer the files. The apple person told us that we had to do all of this through ITunes and purchase some software to do this as well.

I am not a fan of Itunes.....I have never liked it and still do not.

A HUGE plus for ME on the N7 is the fact that it has a GPS. I have a DroidX that is 2 years old and is on a rapid descent to the bottom of the ocean I feel...LOL.... I use an application called Back Country Navigator that I absolutely LOVE for Jeeping and exploring in the mountains...can't get or use that on the Mini or the Ipad.

I think that the N7 is in the front of this decision but the family will have to assist in the decision. They do like the Ipad for it's bigger screen but the smaller tablets (N7) (mini) etc...are perfect for what I am looking for it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac