4.2 Impressions

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
What does everyone think of the update so far? The first thing I noticed after the lock screen widgets is that dock icons are smaller. It'll probably take five minutes to get used to the smaller icons.

The permissions an app has access to looks nicer and shows icons. It'll even show warnings on anything that may cost money with a gold coin icon next to it. Cute. Yay no need for a stopwatch and countdown app and we get two different notifications depending which side you swipe down. This may be a placebo effect but running apps and scrolling seems a bit smoother when having a live wallpaper running. So far, so good!

Sent from a tablet, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

hurricanedt

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I am at school and am waiting for the update, definitely going to manually update it when I'm home, can't wait for some 4.2! Battery life?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm late for work (damn you update I'm going back to Apple!!) but I'll be able to test the battery life there.

Sent from a tablet, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I like the keyboard and quick settings (something that should have been put in stock Android a looooong time ago) just got it flashed, the home screen seems to scroll a lil faster. I just got my nexus 7 about 2 hours ago so I didn't have much time on 4.1.2 to compare it with. I have to say I'm loving this device!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
The quick settings are nice. As is the keyboard. Lockscreen isn't very intuitive though

I'm ditto on the quick settings are nice but definitely going to have issues between notifications and quick settings being done when in trying to get the other.

Just updated and havn't got farther since I'm at work.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

AidenSurvival

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The keyboard is nice, as is the quick settings. Nothing really eye-catching. Incremental updates aren't really meant to catch the eye, just they are more focused on bug fixes and little bits of features included.

Glad I manually updated it nevertheless.
Alongside rooting, it works quite nicely. :)

Edit: Changed my mind. 4.2 is a bigger upgrade than I thought. ;-)

Last edited:

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Here are my impressions (after having it loaded for the past 10 minutes):
1. I like the multiple users but they can improve on it. I got a lot of FCs when setting up the second user.
2. Keyboard is nice but I need to play a little more
3. Seems to be buttery smooth!
4. BIG ONE: They took out Developer Options from Settings
5. Whereas the Quick Settings is nice, they need to be customizable. I already had an app installed that could do the same thing but it was customizable.
6. Quick Settings, Cont'd.... there are 8 icons with room for 9. Bad layout IMO. Again, it should be customizable.

hurricanedt

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
For anyone that wants to know, here is the battery usage for 4.2 so far. uploadfromtaptalk1352846545019.jpg
I like how low android os and system usage are.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
They hid it. Go to the about screen and tap on the build number seven times. The developer options should then return to their normal place on the menus.

Seems kinda silly, but...

I also figured out that if you plug your device into the computer it will give you the USB Debugging message and you can click it to get there as well.

VERY silly indeed!

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone please explain to me how different users with the same apps will be handled, data-wise? E.G. My friend wants to install a 1GB game I already have. Will he be installing an extra 1GB?

DannyDefinit

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Are there new Wireless & Network settings in 4.2 to support the new Nexus 7 3G version? USB tethering or Mobile Hotspot built-in?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been playing around a bit with this and as far as I can see, if it is already installed for one user, then it just copies it to the new user with no additional space used.

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
There are four lockscreen widgets (clock, calendar, Gmail, Sound Search). Those network settings will probably show up if Android recognizes the 3g hardware.

Spent a whole day on JB 4.2 and I have to say this update is no bueno. Audio bluetooth is even worse than before as it now skips even when the tablet isn't even a foot away from my device. I've had the N7 just suddenly reboot when waking up from sleep mode and again when it was just idling. The podcast app lockscreen widget constantly flickers and doesn't register any presses very well.

When pressing on a contact's number it crashes when it tries to go to Google Voice. Heck, GV crashes when pasting a phone number from the clipboard! The gallery app crashes when I wanted to try out the editing feature. Driving home from work I used the Maps app for directions and it crashed during the middle of the route.

At least my dislike for Apple is based on their business ethics and not on their products which made me foolishly try out the Nexus 7 . I now dislike Google but for a difference reason. I've never had a product that goes out of its way to piss me off and now that mini ipad is starting to look good again. It may be crappy but at least I'm pretty sure it'll give me a better experience than the Nexus 7.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Well 4.2 broke my Groove IP app. It no longer connects... The makers need to update the app I guess to be compatible with 4.2 so not entirely Google's fault.

Keyboard: I was using Swype Beta. So I'm used to swyping... I find this keyboard lacking compared to Swype. There's still no number row or more than basic punctuation keys without having to switch keyboard screens... Meh.

Clock: Definitely liking the clock and the stopwatch/timer functions.

Quick Settings: This should have been stock a long, long time ago. Welcome addition. It's taking a little getting used to but I like it so far. I also noticed that you can't pull it down from the LEFT side of the screen or the middle for that matter. The normal Notification shade drops down instead regardless if you using two fingers or not. You have to use two fingers from the RIGHT side of the screen to get the Quick Settings shade to drop down... And it had this bounce that I find a bit weird.

Daydream: I like the idea bit need to test it more to Gerry more of an opinion on it.

Users: I appreciate this. Will come in handy if I kind my tablet to a friend to Brose the web or check their email or just to take a look at out to seed if they want to but one. Don't have to worry about them poking into my personal data or mistakenly downloading an app or something and me getting charged.

Lock screen widgets: Not liking it to much. Anyone can view your email, texts, calendar even if you have password in place from the lock screen now. Do. Not. Like. Will not be using it for privacy reasons unless there's a way to be forced to enter your password to view it, which I don't beeline there is. If anyone knows a way to do that please let me know? :)

I'm noticing GPS being accessed a whole lot more... Or did they just make the GPS icon show up now for every little thing now? :confused:

All said and done, I'm really looking this update so far. Just hoping no other programs are broken and devs hurry and release compatible versions very soon. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63