Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Default Re: 4.2 Impressions

The new gesture typing is sick!

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean
    Eduardo06sp likes this.

Has anyone noticed any speed issues with multiple users? I always found the Nexus 7 to be a bit sluggish before on 4.1, so was excited to try 4.2. After some initial slugglishness and stuttering while setting up and updating apps, it seemed to generally be faster.

But the moment I added my gf as a new user and switched over, everything was ridiculously slow. Facebook timed out, etc etc. Seemed to affect both users. Just in general there seemed to be a lot more random slugglishness. I'm guessing that it's not sufficiently unloading the other user's apps from the background and either gobbling up RAM or letting them run CPU intensive tasks in the background?

Has anyone else experienced this? I love Android, but I sometimes get frustrated that iOS just beats it hands down on having a relatively smooth user experience without lag or stuttering.

Quote Originally Posted by darthus View Post
    Has anyone noticed any speed issues with multiple users? I always found the Nexus 7 to be a bit sluggish before on 4.1, so was excited to try 4.2. After some initial slugglishness and stuttering while setting up and updating apps, it seemed to generally be faster.

But the moment I added my gf as a new user and switched over, everything was ridiculously slow. Facebook timed out, etc etc. Seemed to affect both users. Just in general there seemed to be a lot more random slugglishness. I'm guessing that it's not sufficiently unloading the other user's apps from the background and either gobbling up RAM or letting them run CPU intensive tasks in the background?

Has anyone else experienced this? I love Android, but I sometimes get frustrated that iOS just beats it hands down on having a relatively smooth user experience without lag or stuttering.
    I haven't tried it, but it looks cool. Also, I never knew the iPad had multiple users.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

4.2 has caused all browsers to crash when using flash. Boat. Firefox. Dolphin. Crap!

Samsung Note 2 and Gear 2

Yeah, tons of problems with multi-user. Even just setting up a new user and trying it out, it ended up crashing launcher and never recovered. Very very slow, basically unusable.

ROM
    BCM ICS 4.1U2 (Desire)

I must be the only one having issues with the keyboard then . It lags a lot on my N7 when typing or swiping. Love the new clock and gmail finally re-sizes everything. Battery life seems slightly worse somehow.

How long do you guys think until we get 4.2.1, with some added bug fixes? ;-)

Last edited by jonmall; 11-14-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonmall View Post
    I must be the only one having issues with the keyboard then . It lags a lot on my N7 when typing or swiping. Love the new clock and gmail finally re-sizes everything. Battery life seems slightly worse somehow.

How long do you guys think until we get 4.2.1, with some added bug fixes? ;-)

Settings--->Language & input (under personal)---> Next to Android Keyboard, hit the settings button---> Disable what you desire under Gesture

Any issues with 4.2 and foxfi?
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Quote Originally Posted by stillborn86 View Post
    The app switcher seems to be managed differently:

If you're on the homescreen, it clears all of the widgets and icons from the screen and brings up your recent apps.

If you're in an app, it "minimizes" that app and places it at the bottom of the list of recent apps, and brings you back to an icon-less, widget-less homescreen.
    ^ just noticed this it actually looks and transitions allot better

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts

So far the biggest pain is it crashed Apex - not really fond of the stock launcher and had to configure a bunch of screens until a new version of Apex comes out.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hichris123 View Post
    Sad part is that I wanted to try out Photo Sphere.

Me too.

Love the clock, since I use a stylus I don't care about the keyboard, will have some learning there. The Nexie does seem to be running more smoothly.

Is there a way to remove the gmail widget from the widget pullout thing?

Ok so far I'm happy except my MX Player won't work with 4.2 :what:

~Jaqi~
    Sent from my lovely Nexus 7

Global Posts
    1,190 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy ICS

Quote Originally Posted by slosh74 View Post
    that 9th spot you mentioned in quick settings is were your alarms show, so its not a bad layout

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    using Android Central Forum
    I didn't know this... thanks. But now I think it is even a worse layout! The clock should ALWAYS be there and be accessible as a quick setting. I mean when WiFi is off the icon is still there and allows for 1 touch access to my WiFi settings. Should work the same way with the clock.
    עם ישראל חי

Still no 4.2 update here.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
    4.2 has caused all browsers to crash when using flash. Boat. Firefox. Dolphin.
    Is there a workaround? That means I can no longer watch Amazon Prime movies on my tablet.

With all the problems I've been reading about, I'm wondering if I should upgrade to 4.2. There's no way to uninstall if you don't like it, am I right?

I'm hoping flash gets fixed. Otherwise I'm only mildly excited.
    The user feature seems kind of cool, but I was hoping I could create other users with different permissions, like one for the kids where they could play games, but that's it. Instead, users require their own idea and must install applications all over again.... Though perhaps I just haven't found the way to do it right yet.

Lock screen widgets are a nice idea.... I think they could look a little better.

Performance though seems really good. And good on Google for getting the updates out so fast. That's what a nexus owner should expect.

ROM
    Stock Nexus 4

i wanted to try the multi-user feature, not that I needed it, but oh my lord I was about to throw my nexus 7 out the f***ing window; it was so horribly slow with tons of force closures, the menus soft buttons stopped responding, most windows went away except for the pull down menu, I mean really google? they made their product look like it was put together in some childrens coding workshop; it's like I was thrown back to the 90s. Thanks google for selling me a buttery smooth tablet 6 months ago only to make it bloated to a crawl.

i don't need the multi-user feature, so once I was able to get back to a single-user I was frustrated free.

aside from that, is anyone else annoyed at what they did to the clock? I know this is a small detail, but the original clock was slick and simple; what's with the multi-sized font? or is it just bold for the hour and not bold for the minute? either way that's missing the point, before it was clean and simple; now it's just ugly. again, it looks like something a child came up with. It's a small detail but it is something I have to look at everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by DogPsyche View Post
    Ok so far I'm happy except my MX Player won't work with 4.2 :what:

~Jaqi~
    Sent from my lovely Nexus 7
    Glad I haven't updated mine yet id cry without that, probs my most used app.

My N7 is at home right now

Prior to 4.2, if you tell Google Now "Set the timer for 10 minutes" it actually sets an alarm 10 minutes into the future. It does not give you a countdown timer. What about in 4.2?

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Both are rooted, stock

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I'm holding off on doing anything with 4.2 as I'm rooted and installed the AOSP browser, so OTA won't work for me. I'd have to flash the 4.2 factory image (downloaded it today) and set everything up again. So far I don't see a pressing reason to do that any time soon as I have no use for any of the new features of 4.2 nor see any fixes I'm in need of. I'll probably flash it when I'm bored and have nothing else to do.
    I am rooted and downloaded the update yesterday (from HERE). I flashed with TWRP right over 4.1.2
    Rhoq

Also Mobo Player won't play the sound with mkv's.

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    Is there a workaround? That means I can no longer watch Amazon Prime movies on my tablet.

With all the problems I've been reading about, I'm wondering if I should upgrade to 4.2. There's no way to uninstall if you don't like it, am I right?
    Amazon Prime movies & Flash work fine with 4.2 for me using the Boat browser.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    My N7 is at home right now

Prior to 4.2, if you tell Google Now "Set the timer for 10 minutes" it actually sets an alarm 10 minutes into the future. It does not give you a countdown timer. What about in 4.2?
    The same.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

I love Android, but I sometimes get frustrated that iOS just beats it hands down on having a relatively smooth user experience without lag or stuttering.
    This.
    I've tried to defend droid but you speak the truth. The mini is polished, fluid and quick. No wifi issues lag or stutter.
    .....but then they just FIRED the guy responsible Lol

The good:
    I love the new features, I'm excited about multi user support and especially excited if Miracast works on the Nexus 7.

The bad:
    The performance has been awful for me. The very first thing I did when I sideloaded 4.2 was to setup a new user. That whole experience was unpleasant, nearly every action required to setup the user crashed. After setting up a new user and returning to my own user, everything was molasses slow and lots of things crashed. Normally I snicker when I read about people saying some of their apps were "uninstalled" without them doing it, but it sure enough happened to me. My webcam app that I use to monitor my baby girl "Tinycam Pro" was totally uninstalled after I sideloaded 4.2. There is zero chance I accidentally did that myself, that notion is flatly preposterous.
    Everything seems to be in slow motion and laggy, to the point that I've deleted the new user I setup in hopes that it will improve performance back to where it was.

Back to the good:
    I really dont have any worries that this behavior is anything but very temporary. It'll get fixed and it'll get fixed fast, but I am disappointed at the initial 4.2 release.
    FApple
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast