4.2 Impressions

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Just came home over an hour go and updated my N7. About 30 minutes in after stop playing with the new features and started checking my blogs,emails, browses, etc. I noticed the N7 was running smoother and seemed more responsive in my daily task performed on my N7. I did not go in believing or having a single thought of N7 performance improving.

There are few problems my firefox app was closing on me shortly after each time In would launch the app. Another problem was the screem brightness has been fluttering back and forth. Though after hour of use the N7 seems to be problem free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I really like the keyboard,
I'm also a little annoyed that they made the dock icons smaller, I don't see why this was necessary.
I liked my dock icons the way they were, but I guess it's nothing to get upset about.

So I'm not crazy I can't wondering if the dock icons got smaller. I do prefer the bigger dock icons but smaller dock icons IMO are better on a phone. Then again I always thougjt did N7 orginal docks icons were too big now they are to small.

Last edited:

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, just started having an annoying bug. My sleep settings are set for 5 minutes, but it now randomly sleeps whenever it wants. I noticed it when it adjusted the brightness, it would flicker a bit then just sleep on its own even while I'm typing on it. not sure if it's associated or if it's another app. But very annoying.

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
So far nothing but PROBLEMS!!! My Apps that never had any problems yesterday are force closing at random times. I usually sit in front of the TV and web surf and mess around with Apps but today after the update they keep FORCE CLOSING ON ME. I did 2 power cycles hoping it would help but to no avail.

Hopefully these issues resolve themselves quickly. I use my N7 everyday and take it literally everywhere I go so yeah it would be nice to have it back working under normal parameters. smh.......

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The app switcher seems to be managed differently:

If you're on the homescreen, it clears all of the widgets and icons from the screen and brings up your recent apps.

If you're in an app, it "minimizes" that app and places it at the bottom of the list of recent apps, and brings you back to an icon-less, widget-less homescreen.

I have to say that I like this a little bit better than the old system of just fading whatever you're doing into the background and bringing up the recent apps, without the one you're currently in. This just seems to be more thought out.

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Also, the Dream feature has me scratching my head. It has options to activate when:

1. Docked
2. Charging
3. Either

2 & 3 are pretty self-explanatory, but the first has me confused. To my knowledge, there isn't a dock for the Nexus7. Although it has the contact spots on the lower right side, I heard that the dock idea was scrapped shortly after it was commissioned. I just imagined that to be true since the new tablet doesn't have the dock contact points.

Maybe I'm just misinformed, but I don't think the dock is out yet, and that it's even due to come out any time soon, if at all...

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Dock? Well there's something else I'd like to question. If you look through the advanced WiFi settings, there's an optimization option. I'm assuming this is why some people are seeing improvements in battery life.
uploadfromtaptalk1352874313773.jpg

darthus

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed any speed issues with multiple users? I always found the Nexus 7 to be a bit sluggish before on 4.1, so was excited to try 4.2. After some initial slugglishness and stuttering while setting up and updating apps, it seemed to generally be faster.

But the moment I added my gf as a new user and switched over, everything was ridiculously slow. Facebook timed out, etc etc. Seemed to affect both users. Just in general there seemed to be a lot more random slugglishness. I'm guessing that it's not sufficiently unloading the other user's apps from the background and either gobbling up RAM or letting them run CPU intensive tasks in the background?

Has anyone else experienced this? I love Android, but I sometimes get frustrated that iOS just beats it hands down on having a relatively smooth user experience without lag or stuttering.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed any speed issues with multiple users? I always found the Nexus 7 to be a bit sluggish before on 4.1, so was excited to try 4.2. After some initial slugglishness and stuttering while setting up and updating apps, it seemed to generally be faster.

But the moment I added my gf as a new user and switched over, everything was ridiculously slow. Facebook timed out, etc etc. Seemed to affect both users. Just in general there seemed to be a lot more random slugglishness. I'm guessing that it's not sufficiently unloading the other user's apps from the background and either gobbling up RAM or letting them run CPU intensive tasks in the background?

Has anyone else experienced this? I love Android, but I sometimes get frustrated that iOS just beats it hands down on having a relatively smooth user experience without lag or stuttering.

I haven't tried it, but it looks cool. Also, I never knew the iPad had multiple users.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
4.2 has caused all browsers to crash when using flash. Boat. Firefox. Dolphin. Crap!

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, tons of problems with multi-user. Even just setting up a new user and trying it out, it ended up crashing launcher and never recovered. Very very slow, basically unusable.

jonmall

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I must be the only one having issues with the keyboard then :-\ . It lags a lot on my N7 when typing or swiping. Love the new clock and gmail finally re-sizes everything. Battery life seems slightly worse somehow.

How long do you guys think until we get 4.2.1, with some added bug fixes? ;-)

Last edited:

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I must be the only one having issues with the keyboard then :-\ . It lags a lot on my N7 when typing or swiping. Love the new clock and gmail finally re-sizes everything. Battery life seems slightly worse somehow.

How long do you guys think until we get 4.2.1, with some added bug fixes? ;-)

Settings--->Language & input (under personal)---> Next to Android Keyboard, hit the settings button---> Disable what you desire under Gesture

slosh74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The app switcher seems to be managed differently:

If you're on the homescreen, it clears all of the widgets and icons from the screen and brings up your recent apps.

If you're in an app, it "minimizes" that app and places it at the bottom of the list of recent apps, and brings you back to an icon-less, widget-less homescreen.

^ just noticed this it actually looks and transitions allot better

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So far the biggest pain is it crashed Apex - not really fond of the stock launcher and had to configure a bunch of screens until a new version of Apex comes out.

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Sad part is that I wanted to try out Photo Sphere.

Me too.

Love the clock, since I use a stylus I don't care about the keyboard, will have some learning there. The Nexie does seem to be running more smoothly.

Is there a way to remove the gmail widget from the widget pullout thing?