4.2 Impressions

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
that 9th spot you mentioned in quick settings is were your alarms show, so its not a bad layout

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
using Android Central Forum

I didn't know this... thanks. But now I think it is even a worse layout! :) The clock should ALWAYS be there and be accessible as a quick setting. I mean when WiFi is off the icon is still there and allows for 1 touch access to my WiFi settings. Should work the same way with the clock.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
4.2 has caused all browsers to crash when using flash. Boat. Firefox. Dolphin.

Is there a workaround? That means I can no longer watch Amazon Prime movies on my tablet.

With all the problems I've been reading about, I'm wondering if I should upgrade to 4.2. There's no way to uninstall if you don't like it, am I right?

petefromphilly

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping flash gets fixed. Otherwise I'm only mildly excited.
The user feature seems kind of cool, but I was hoping I could create other users with different permissions, like one for the kids where they could play games, but that's it. Instead, users require their own idea and must install applications all over again.... Though perhaps I just haven't found the way to do it right yet.

Lock screen widgets are a nice idea.... I think they could look a little better.

Performance though seems really good. And good on Google for getting the updates out so fast. That's what a nexus owner should expect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

capslock118

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i wanted to try the multi-user feature, not that I needed it, but oh my lord I was about to throw my nexus 7 out the f***ing window; it was so horribly slow with tons of force closures, the menus soft buttons stopped responding, most windows went away except for the pull down menu, I mean really google? they made their product look like it was put together in some childrens coding workshop; it's like I was thrown back to the 90s. Thanks google for selling me a buttery smooth tablet 6 months ago only to make it bloated to a crawl.

i don't need the multi-user feature, so once I was able to get back to a single-user I was frustrated free.

aside from that, is anyone else annoyed at what they did to the clock? I know this is a small detail, but the original clock was slick and simple; what's with the multi-sized font? or is it just bold for the hour and not bold for the minute? either way that's missing the point, before it was clean and simple; now it's just ugly. again, it looks like something a child came up with. It's a small detail but it is something I have to look at everyday.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My N7 is at home right now :(

Prior to 4.2, if you tell Google Now "Set the timer for 10 minutes" it actually sets an alarm 10 minutes into the future. It does not give you a countdown timer. What about in 4.2?

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm holding off on doing anything with 4.2 as I'm rooted and installed the AOSP browser, so OTA won't work for me. I'd have to flash the 4.2 factory image (downloaded it today) and set everything up again. So far I don't see a pressing reason to do that any time soon as I have no use for any of the new features of 4.2 nor see any fixes I'm in need of. I'll probably flash it when I'm bored and have nothing else to do. ;)

I am rooted and downloaded the update yesterday (from HERE). I flashed with TWRP right over 4.1.2

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Is there a workaround? That means I can no longer watch Amazon Prime movies on my tablet.

With all the problems I've been reading about, I'm wondering if I should upgrade to 4.2. There's no way to uninstall if you don't like it, am I right?

Amazon Prime movies & Flash work fine with 4.2 for me using the Boat browser.

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed any speed issues with multiple users? I always found the Nexus 7 to be a bit sluggish before on 4.1, so was excited to try 4.2. After some initial slugglishness and stuttering while setting up and updating apps, it seemed to generally be faster.

I love Android, but I sometimes get frustrated that iOS just beats it hands down on having a relatively smooth user experience without lag or stuttering.

This.
I've tried to defend droid but you speak the truth. The mini is polished, fluid and quick. No wifi issues lag or stutter.
.....but then they just FIRED the guy responsible Lol

bas.androiddev

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The good:
I love the new features, I'm excited about multi user support and especially excited if Miracast works on the Nexus 7.

The bad:
The performance has been awful for me. The very first thing I did when I sideloaded 4.2 was to setup a new user. That whole experience was unpleasant, nearly every action required to setup the user crashed. After setting up a new user and returning to my own user, everything was molasses slow and lots of things crashed. Normally I snicker when I read about people saying some of their apps were "uninstalled" without them doing it, but it sure enough happened to me. My webcam app that I use to monitor my baby girl "Tinycam Pro" was totally uninstalled after I sideloaded 4.2. There is zero chance I accidentally did that myself, that notion is flatly preposterous.
Everything seems to be in slow motion and laggy, to the point that I've deleted the new user I setup in hopes that it will improve performance back to where it was.

Back to the good:
I really dont have any worries that this behavior is anything but very temporary. It'll get fixed and it'll get fixed fast, but I am disappointed at the initial 4.2 release.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I haven't found a workaround yet. I uninstall flash uninstall the browsers... Nothing I do can get the Flash content working reliably. Prior to the update flash work fine on dolphin for me as long as I didn't try to go full screen

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Me, too. But I am loving this keyboard, even better than swype so far.

And I can turn off autocorrect completely (squee!!!)

Ok I feel stupid ... where does one get Swype? I have it on my Gingerbread phone but cannot find it in either the Play Store or Amazon App Store...

slosh74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
is it only my gsm nexus that didn't get the new wallpaper with the 4.2 update? i got everything else that i was to get all except the new wallpapers... :confused:

when my nexus 7 got updated i got the new wallpapers and all the other new features but i gots non on my gnexus :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
using Android Central Forum

sojodave

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Overall I like 4.2, but I have noticed some problems.

1. MX Player does not work.
2. Dice Player does not work
3. I was running SlideIt keyboard. I'm trying the new keyboard, but I'm not sure I will stick with it. Horizontal sliding takes long swypes.
4. My battery drains quickly. I went from 80% to 40% in two hours.

I'm sure there will be updates for some of the apps

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
How do you manually update? I checked mine at 8:30, no update yet.

Go to <Settings <Apps <All and go down to Google Services Framework. Force Close and then clear memory. Then go to <Settings <About <Updates and press check for update. Sometimes it works the first time...for some people it takes a few. It took 5 for me.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok I feel stupid ... where does one get Swype? I have it on my Gingerbread phone but cannot find it in either the Play Store or Amazon App Store...

Go to beta.swype.com Honestly I don't see the need for Swype as the new 4.2 keyboard is awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2