4.2 Impressions

Yde

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Sv: 4.2 Impressions

30 minutes in with 4.2..

The swipe keyboard is pretty sweet, if you only use the English layout. I'm originally from Sweden and I write messages to friends and family back home so I switch between languages fairly often. In the Swedish layout I can't use swipe and the auto spelling is not as good as with the English layout. They need to start supporting other languages fully so I can use the swipe function all the time. For now I'll just stick with Swiftkey, which is an excellent app for typing in different languages.

Where is the lock screen widget for the music players? In 4.1.2 it showed the track and album cover and I could change track, pause and play with both Spotify and Google music. Hopefully they fix this soon.

To me it seems that every time I change a setting it slows down the N7 and it gets laggy for a short time afterwards, only to go back to its speedy self after about 5-10 minutes.

I'm Danish but in the settings I could download an additional dictionary, and then swype worked for me - did you try that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

elvis_1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine is dropping wifi and rebooting randomly.. Not happy

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is dropping wifi and rebooting randomly.. Not happy

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
A good test is to turn on auto rotate, and rotate the Nexus 90 degrees to see how fast this display changes . With 4.1 .2, the screen rotated in about 1 second. After the update, it can take as long as 6 seconds. So the factory reset I did last night, did not really work that well over time.

I noticed that if I rotate the screen back and forth multiple times with the same screen displayed, then it will eventually rotate in about a 1 second period... Like caching.

I am interested to know if anyone else having this lag In the auto rotate screen.

-T

Sent from my Desire HD using Android Central Forums

Yep I noticed it.

jnb5531

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Most apps work in 4.2 for me. Everything seems smoother and faster. If people see my schedule because my calendar on the lockscreen... I'll probably get over it. Apps will be updated and ROMS will come out to adjust to individual needs. That's the benefit of having android devices. Updates aren't permanent and nexus devices get more support and frequent updates. So allow developers to make their apps compatible and do what you need to customize the os.

cybercrs

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Lock screen widgets
Anyone find a way to delete the option or not allow it to create more? I don't mind the clock on the lock screen but the others are bit much. it seems like it can create widgets for calendar and gmail without unlocking so anyone can check my email or see my calendar just by adding the widgets on the lock screen.

There is a free app called "Lockscreen Features Policy" that can take care of this.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
My one real bugbear is the lockscreen, I hate how it looks when you wake it up and I don't like the new clock.

Turn the lock screen off, it's useless. The cases have magnets in then that will wake the tablet when you open the cover and put it to sleep when you close it.

As for 4.2, I think there's not much difference. I love the keyboard and panoramic camera, but I don't see what else is added that I can play with.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Wullie32

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Turn the lock screen off, it's useless. The cases have magnets in then that will wake the tablet when you open the cover and put it to sleep when you close it.

As for 4.2, I think there's not much difference. I love the keyboard and panoramic camera, but I don't see what else is added that I can play with.

The official cases don't have that feature, which is bloody ridiculous really.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Is the panoramic camera different than the one on 4.1.2?

Honestly I'm not sure if the old version had that feature, this is the first time I'm playing with the camera. After seeing the commercials for the iPhone 5 camera which let's you just glide the phone sideways to take a massive long picture I noticed that jelly bean 4.2 will have the same thing and it made me want to finally play with the camera feature.

The official cases don't have that feature, which is bloody ridiculous really.

I think it's a shame that Google barely has any official accessories at all. IPads have hundreds and Google has only a crappy case?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Wish they would update the pull down notification shade.
It doesn't always stay down when I swipe down to view my notifications.

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
New lock screen clock widget looks brutal. Those new fonts are just absolutely ugly. Should have given an option to customize the font.

There should be an option to lock the lock screen for changes. The add option every time you unlock is annoying.

There should be an option to modify the settings pulldown.

Last edited:

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree the don't on the unlock screen looks awful, trying to get used to the keyboard seems really cool. Enjoying it so far I like having the option for multi users.

BTW what's the point in having daydream in dock when there isn't one "officially" at least.

farb12

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Love the keyboard and the ability of multiple users, have a youngster constantly getting on my tablet. The clock widget and lockscreen clock are freakin ugly!!

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
New lock screen looks a little like how Motorola handles their home screens now. Good to see googleorola working together.

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
All in all I like the 4.2 upgrade just fine. I do have one question though. On my N7 I can't go straight to Google Now by swiping up on the lockscreen anymore. I can still get to it just fine by swiping up, but not from the lockscreen. Anyone else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton