How to get the 4.2 OTA update NOW!! Your welcome! ;)

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm what someone else posted... That if you can't get it to download, then force stop, delete data and force stop again. That's what got it to download for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

presb4

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
It worked for me but after 4 try's and no dice I changed it up a bit and cleared data first then forced stop the frame work services. Then checked for system updates and it worked. Dont know if that made the difference or not but who cares I got 4.2 now on my N7 32gig.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks it worked on the 5th time. When I went into About and hit "Check for Updates" it always showed 12/31/1969 and then on the 5th try I got the update screen. Great I have a Miracast PTV3000 that has been waiting on that 4.2 update.

anon4843263

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased a Nexus 7 16 GB for the family and I must say I love it thus far :)

Still trying to work out some bugs but only after about 5 minutes of turning it on ..... Update came OTA for it! Kind of glad it came out right away on the new purchase as I will only now have to get used to 4.2!!!

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Worked.. By clearing data first then force stop it works. So far I really like the key board and notification trays, haven't tried much else yet.

Nexus 7

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow. That sucks. It took me once.

loving 4.2. on my Nexus 7

Seriously, I tried probably 20-25 times exactly following the instructions from the OP. Finally it worked and all is well except Dolphin keeps crashing no matter what I do to fix it. I may have to wait for an update from Dolphin. Anyone else have this problem?

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Question, other than the keyboard enhancement, what other noticeable improvements were made? I don't see very many changes other than some minor and insignificant changes.

jeremydc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Read the title. Read the instructions. Grabbed N7. It prompts me to dl the update. Damn it Google, I am trying to be mad at you for the N4 fiasco( didn't get 1) but this helps lol.

anon4843263

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
My apologies....

I did not "read" the update screen properly. The OTA was for 4.1.2....RATZ!!!

I tried the OP's method and after about 5 times it did not work.

What I did was almost identical to what the OP but with one minor change as some have posted:

Did the "Force Stop"
Did the "Clear Cache"
HIT "Force Stop" a second time

Searched for the update and voila! Success!

Thanks OP for posting this up and helping us all!!!

:)

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Question, other than the keyboard enhancement, what other noticeable improvements were made? I don't see very many changes other than some minor and insignificant changes.

Keyboard, lock screen that allows widgets, my understanding is that the play store now protects against malware, and Quick Settings.... much more convenient than the old two-step method of getting to settings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke