Apps broken in 4.2

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
And if you actually *had* an N4 or N10 in your hand right now, only to find these apps incompatible, maybe you would have an argument. But app devs are quickly updating their apps (MX just got updated) and in another day or so (when people actually get their N4s and N10s) this will mostly be a whole bunch of nothing.

-Suntan

People have already started receiving them and some of them are already complaining of issues. (And T-Mobile is already selling them in stores)

CJREX

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not really broken, but with 4.2 Beach Buggy Blitz now has an annoying pause that was not there before.

Forgot to add, the Boat browser has sank.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
People have already started receiving them and some of them are already complaining of issues. (And T-Mobile is already selling them in stores)

Nobody was forced into buying an N4 or N10 on release day. Wait a flippen couple of weeks before buying it if you have such a hangup with 3rd party apps not working for the first 3 or 4 days of the release.

Your suggested alternative, to hold shippment of product for a month? Missing black Friday and 50% of the holiday season? Not likely. Would you really want that anyway? A couple million more tablets sold (during the most important couple of weeks of the year) that aren't android based and aren't incentivizing devs to put more attention on android apps?

For a tablet, that gets updated once or twice a year, leaving the device to sit on the shelf for a month is the same as killing 10 to 20% of its lifespan. Not a smart move.

You think Google was just sitting on the release of 4.2 for the last couple of weeks because there was something magical about 11/13? They released the update to all as soon as it was ready. Asking them to do anything else is absurd.

-Suntan

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Since update last night HBO Go has sound but no picture when trying to watch content

I'm getting the same problem. Sound but no picture in HBO Go.

I don't understand why they don't do what Apple does: release the code/sdk to developers in advance. Wouldn't it be better to have them fix all the bugs before it goes to all those users?

Some of you are losing sight of what the Nexus program is for. It's a developer device. It's IS the SDK...or a mechanical deployment of it. It also doubles as their flagship OEM device. We just have to live with this if we're going to jump aboard the way we are. I remember going through this all the time with the D1 and Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I would often have the newest build of AOSP on my device, and several apps wouldn't be compatible.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site

Some of you are losing sight of what the Nexus program is for. It's a developer device. It's IS the SDK...or a mechanical deployment of it. It also doubles as their flagship OEM device. We just have to live with this if we're going to jump aboard the way we are. I remember going through this all the time with the D1 and Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I would often have the newest build of AOSP on my device, and several apps wouldn't be compatible.

That may be, but it is not being marketed that way to the general public. 99% of the people buying this device have no idea what you are talking about - they think it is a "done" product.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
If the Nexus 7 is a developer device then why the hell did Google put a massive advert for it on the Play Store website?

The Nexus One may have been a developer device, but the current crop of Nexuses are definitely aimed at regular users.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That may be, but it is not being marketed that way to the general public. 99% of the people buying this device have no idea what you are talking about - they think it is a "done" product.

Jeez, you guys are acting like you've never updated an OS before.

I've been updating operating systems for about 25 years, and and guess what? Some third party apps always Bork as a result! Only back in the day, you pretty much had to kiss those programs goodbye or repurchase them. Now you guys whinge because you have to wait up to a week for updates to automatically be spoon fed into your system for free.

-Suntan

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Opened this thread from a notification. Now when I open Android Central Forums app it opens here and gives no way out. So I'm going to see if writing something will make any difference. I had just uninstalled/reinstalled the app the other day when it got stuck spinning its wheel and wouldn't load content. It's always something, eh?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Nobody was forced into buying an N4 or N10 on release day. Wait a flippen couple of weeks before buying it if you have such a hangup with 3rd party apps not working for the first 3 or 4 days of the release.

Your suggested alternative, to hold shippment of product for a month? Missing black Friday and 50% of the holiday season?
-Suntan

They could have scheduled the event to be earlier than it was. They didn't have to do it at the end of October.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you read Jerry's initial review of the N10, you would have read how he didn't get to try out multi-user switching because it still wasn't ready. The early samples they sent to reviewers didn't have the final version of 4.2 because... *it wasn't ready!* Google released 4.2 as soon as they thought it was ready.

Look at this blog right here: Pre-release Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 devices getting an OTA | Android Central

The pre-released units got the final update a day before the rest of us. That was the day 4.2 was "ready to release." Scheduling a conference earlier or later wouldn't have affected that one bit. Now, would you really rather have the N7 update, and N4 & N10 releases be on Dec 12 just to give your devs 4 weeks to lazily get around to looking at their code? Do you really think the majority of them would have even bothered, or do they wait until they start getting the rash of 1 stars and "doesn't work with new update, wtf?" posted to their app comment sections?

-Suntan

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

I contacted HBOGo and they just responded:

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. The HBO GO/MAX GO App does not currently support Android 4.2. Please stay tuned as a new version of the application with support for Android 4.2 is coming soon!

Thank you,
The HBO GO Team