Can you use a portable hardrive with the nexus 7?

SherbetDibDab

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Treating myself to a portable hardrive just to keep all my downloaded films, music and media all in one place. Could i plug my hardrive straight into the nexus 7 and then just copy the files over that i want to have onto my nexus or can i even stream a film directly from the hardrive lets say?

Thanks in advance

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You can get them for a buck or two on Amazon.

Amazon.com: otg cable

Just be aware, if you have an external "hard drive" with an actual spinning disc, it may not run directly off of the power that the N7 can provide. Some will, some require an external power source. Flash based drive (USB stick or thumb drives) should work.

-Suntan

SherbetDibDab

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way i can pick a hardrive based on wether it will work with the nexus 7 or not? i mean is there a specific specification that i need to look for in my hardrive before purchasing it so it will work with my nexus

thanks

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Short of doing a search in this forum and/or others for someone that can confirm a specific drive works, I don't think so. I don't know if there is anyone keeping a list. You could look over at xda-developers. If there's going to be a big, long, confusing list; it will likely be over there.

-Suntan

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't get my portable hard drive to work, but my flash drive works fine, make sure you get nexus media importer though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You can definitely stream straight from external memory--but you need to get Nexus Media Importer if your device isn't rooted.

I've used this OTG cable: Amazon.com: Micro USB to USB Female Cable USB- OTG For Galaxy S2 I9100: Cell Phones & Accessories and it's pretty dang fragile. Your device has to be absolutely motionless otherwise you'll get disconnected. Problem got worse over time though, so in the beginning at least, it should be fine. Might have to do with the fact that it was L-shaped in the wrong direction in landscape mode.

I can't tell you which external hard drives would work with the N7, but for sure avoid the ones that require 2 USB ports lol. How much memory would you want to store? You could always get a 128GB flash drive like this: Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 128 GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ60-128G-B35: Electronics' no doubt those would work just fine. Though if you want to be economical, you could always get a handful of 32GB flash drives :p.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I just tried three external drives (all USB powered) and none will work on my N7 32GB. They light up, but make ticking sounds and won't show up when I do a "scan" with Nexus Media Importer. The ones I tried and that won't work are:
LaCie P9221
Hitachi SMD/250RD
Gateway HDD in a generic enclosure.

pb5525

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
The hard drives power consumption is too demanding for the N7 's output. I guess that means we are confined to ssd USB jumpdrives.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
There are two routes to connecting USB external magnetic media like pendrives and hard disks: unrooted using (NotFree) Nexus Media Importer app which gives a very limited read only capability, rooted with free Stickmount app which gives more or less complete read/write access and integration. The Nexus 7 currently can NOT access USB hardwired external media without a helper app.

The USB hardwired connection must be via an usb-OTG cable or adapter. WiFi and Bluetooth access is also possible, BTW.

-- nexus media importer and USB devices seem to work best if ALREADY connected BEFORE booting your N7.in my experience.

-- some hard drives are not recognized by NMI, some are - that's just the way it is. Someone with Stickmount experience can let us know about their experience.

Andy Price1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I Help You shy, i also have a buffalo ministation 500gb, am looking at getting a nexus 7, just wondered what cable you have and which app you use (prices if you wouldnt mind?) and how well it works too. does it lag at all when watching films etc....anything you can tell me i'd pretty much like to know haha.

cheers

Andy

Alexander Ramz

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi i have a 2.5 500gb western digital from my old laptop (2009) and i wanted to know if there was an enclosure that works with nexus 7. if so i would appreciate some input and maybe some ebay links. thanks

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 Western Digital 500GB My Passport drives that both work but my 1TB Western Digital My Passport will not - it draws too much power. My Seagate Satellite 500GB wireless drive also works.

Alexander Ramz

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
mine was an internal drive but i wanted to make it an external drive. Do you know of any enclosures that will work?? or will j
ust about anything do? sorry im completely new at this =P

Kenny Bellew

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Here's how I got my 2tb WD Passport to work with Nexus 7 (2013). I am rooted, but I've read this works with Nexus Media Importer regardless of root status.

I have a powered USB hub (BalanceFrom)

Plug the Nexus 7 into the MicroUSB port of the USB hub (where you would normally plug in the PC).
Attached the 2tb Passport to the powered USB hub.
Use Nexus Media Importer to see folders.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc