Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrwatson
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Battery dying when tablet powered off (dropping to 89%, each time)?!?

Hi,

I'm a first time poster, long time lurker (you guys are great!). I bought a Nexus 7 a couple of weeks ago (32gb version) and just last night started having a really weird problem with the tablet. I charge it 'til it reaches 100%, it says it's charged, I power it off and when I turn it back on it says the battery is "decharging" (or whatever) and it has it at 89%. This is with the tablet off, not in sleep mode.

It genuinely seems to need to charge to get back to 100%. It takes around 90 minutes to charge the 11%. Another thing (I'm providing as much info as possible) is it doesn't reset the battery's usage -- it keeps saying it's been used for 5 hours and 52 minutes and keeps listing the things I did with it 3 charges ago. Until this problem, it always, once reaching 100% charged, reset and started fresh with the battery stats (saying I had used it for 1 minute, etc.).

More details: The number goes up from 89% when it's charging. Right now it's at 93%. It will reach 100% in around an hour. Then, I will unplug it and it will say 100%. As soon as I power it off, even if it's at 97% or 98%, it will turn back on and the power will be at 89% and it will need to be charged.

Again, this didn't happen the first 12 or 13 days I used the tablet (charging about once a day). It started yesterday. The way I charge it, and have charged it from the beginning, is through the charger it comes with into a wall outlet and I power the tablet down completely while charging selecting "power off."

I really hope someone who knows more about these sort of things that I do can figure this one out. Or if anyone can tell me if this is a known issue (I haven't been able to find anything on it). I've never had this problem with a battery before and it seems beyond strange.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by DarthMickey; 11-14-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Default Re: Battery dying when tablet powered off (dropping to 89%, each time)?!?

I'd say something's wrong with your battery indicator, but I don't know if that would explain why it actually needs charging from 89%

I had a similar battery problem in the very beginning when I first got the device--the indicator was wonky, so the battery would decline at a ridiculous rate (this is with everything but wifi off, screen beyond min with a filter app--it would eat 1-2% every minute). I was told to let it physically die from low battery a few times, to help the indicator re-gauge.

That fixed my issue, but I don't know if yours is the same type of problem. I can't explain why you'd suddenly and inexplicably start having issues, unless you dropped it or dl'ed apps with strange permissions. If a reset doesn't cure it, I'd say it's something weird with the hardware. If you've only had the device a couple weeks, a reset won't be as painful lol.

(on another note--I started having weird battery issues again, just a couple days ago. I'm actually having somewhat the opposite problem: it says it's 100% even after HOURS of screentime--and then it steadily declines a few % per minute. Attached are two screenshots in the same day, device was on a couple hours from 8 AM - 4 PM--I turned the device off which reset the usage, but didn't fix the "100%").
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery dying when tablet powered off (dropping to 89%, each time)?!?-one.png   Battery dying when tablet powered off (dropping to 89%, each time)?!?-two.png  
    Thanked by:
    DarthMickey likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Battery dying when tablet powered off (dropping to 89%, each time)?!?

While I didn't do a reset, when I updated to Jellybean 4.2, the battery charged to 100% (which, I think, does show it was actually dropping to 89%, for some unknown reason) and worked properly again. "Properly" being it's back to about 5 hours "screen on" time with brightness at 30% and takes 7-8 hours to charge from 0-100% (how normal/abnormal is that?). Maybe an app went rogue and was put back in its place by Jellybean 4.2; but I still don't know how even a rogue app could affect a tablet that's completely powered down.

Thanks for your reply! And to ask a question that will probably have everyone facepalming; how do you get those screenshots from your Nexus? I wanted to post a shot along with my original post, but am not sure how to get a shot to post in the first place.

Can't really say about the charging since I always let it charge overnight, but ~5 hours screen time sounds about right. Keep in mind that the screen eats away at most of the battery, so if you're indoors and don't need the brightness, you could use a screen dimmer app.

You can take a screenshot by simultaneously holding the power button and low volume button . It'll be in your gallery under a folder named 'screenshots'.

To get a screen shot in landscape press the left edge of the power button and the right edge of the volume control button at the same time and hold for about two seconds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums