Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: 4.2 Auto Brightness Bug

I have the brightness bug and the long startup bug. The brightness since 4.2, but I've had the long startup bug since 4.1.2.

Switching to manual Captain. So far 4.2 is not going well on a lot of fronts. Firefox hates it. Updates may help. We'll see.

Also have the auto-brightness bug after installing 4.2.
    In fact, I found this thread while searching for info about this bug.
    My startup pin entry screen also looks different and not for the better.

I have had my N7 for less then a week. No issues with 4.1.2 and after the upgrade to 4.2 yesterday, I have the same Auto Brightness issue. Looks like a bug to me. Hope they fix this soon.

I had the same issue on my Nexus 7. I had to disable auto brightness because it was changing so much I was getting motion sick.

Not liking 4.2 at all so far. They seemed to have changed the screens size. Apps that used to fit fine are now scrunched or some of them are blown up as if they are zoomed in. And the thing keeps wanting to go horizontal on me and they removed the lock for that and removed the quick access to settings through the pull down notification area.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ohmslaw View Post
    Switching to manual Captain. So far 4.2 is not going well on a lot of fronts. Firefox hates it. Updates may help. We'll see.
    Try Firefox Beta, it works for me. Although now dolphin Beta crashes.

Absolutely could not deal with the auto brightness issue and hated the lock screen! Flashed 4.1.2 back onto my Nexus- much much happier!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Noticed the same thing and it was driving me crazy. My 7 was doing it prior to the 4.1.2 update which corrected it here yo yo brightness. 4 douce un fixed it. So I went to a fixed brightness.

Sent from Nexxie 7. Own your devices don't let them own you.
    Unlock, root, and hack...

I'm having the same brightness issue on my Nexus 7. I've even turned auto brightness off and I'm still noticing it with the brightness turned all the way down in a dim room. It never did this before the 4.2 update.

So far I've only noticed it when the background is white. A lot of the apps I use have a "dark theme" that makes the background dark. I haven't noticed the brightness issue when the background is dark.

Since the 4.2 update caused this issue, I'm confident that another update can fix it. But we have to let Google know about it and that it is caused by the update. Our chances of getting it fixed soon will be better if everyone calls and complains to Google. I will be calling Google support today...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Before 4.2 people were complaining that the brightness often took too long to adjust down, now people are complaining that it adjusts too much. I suspect the issue is that the sensor isn't very accurate, and the previous behavior just hid that fact.

New Nexus 7 with 4.2. Same problem. I took it out of my G-Hub leather case to test if the case affected it but it still brightens and dims by itself with the case off. Please Google this is a big issue. This screen bug is so noticeable.
    Update: also happens with auto brightness turned off in an unlit room. However, it is slightly different - when going from my darkish home screen to Chrome or YouTube, I notice the screen gets brighter or dimmer a few small increments (as opposed to just one increment in a daylight lit room).
    Last edited by ShreddedDiesel; 11-19-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Turned off auto-brightness and I still notice fluctuations in the screen. Haven't had my tablet long but this wasn't an issue with 4.1.2. Disappointing this code wasn't checked a little better considering this is a premier Google branded product.

Just received 4.2.1 OTA Jellybean update. Hasn't fixed the brightness issue, very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroomturtle View Post
    Just received 4.2.1 OTA Jellybean update. Hasn't fixed the brightness issue, very disappointing.
    Same here. Maybe 4.2.2...?

Quote Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
    Before 4.2 people were complaining that the brightness often took too long to adjust down, now people are complaining that it adjusts too much. I suspect the issue is that the sensor isn't very accurate, and the previous behavior just hid that fact.

That can't be the problem. It constantly changes even when I don't move it at all, or the lighting does not change.

Quote Originally Posted by hpilot View Post
    That can't be the problem. It constantly changes even when I don't move it at all, or the lighting does not change.
    The amount of light the sensor receives can change without you perceiving a change in the amount of light, just changing the angle you are holding the tablet at can change the amount of light the sensor receives. Also the human eye is very good at adapting to different light levels without you noticing.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

The amount of light the sensor receives can change without you perceiving a change in the amount of light, just changing the angle you are holding the tablet at can change the amount of light the sensor receives. Also the human eye is very good at adapting to different light levels without you noticing.
    That all may be true and I do not doubt it.....but it does not address the problem that this auto brightness problem is real. retsaw....I am not sure if you used the N7 with the 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 JB versions? If you did....didn't you notice how the auto brightness function is in comparison to the latest 2 versions of JB on the N7? It's totally buggy now.

Prior to 4.2 update on the first 2 versions of Jelly Bean, auto brightness worked perfectly.....now after 2 updates.....it is not working correctly. I surely hope they can fix this.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Missed this post by you....... Actually I did not notice the auto brightness being to slow to change on the earlier updates....I thought it worked pretty good on my unit. I wonder if there was any hardware changes in this element from different production runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich215 View Post
    Prior to 4.2 update on the first 2 versions of Jelly Bean, auto brightness worked perfectly.
    In my experience, I have never found auto brightness to be anything other than annoying on any device I have used. I always immediately disable it. It must be _really_ bad now if the above is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich215 View Post
    That all may be true and I do not doubt it.....but it does not address the problem that this auto brightness problem is real. retsaw....I am not sure if you used the N7 with the 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 JB versions? If you did....didn't you notice how the auto brightness function is in comparison to the latest 2 versions of JB on the N7? It's totally buggy now.
    I've been using my Nexus 7 everyday since the end of July when my pre-ordered device was delivered. It may be that you are seeing different behavior than I am, but I prefer how the auto-brightness behaves since 4.2, before that I always had to turn the screen off and on again to get it to adjust the brightness down when I moved the tablet somewhere darker. I think the real issue is they can't program a single behaviour that everyone will be happy with given the limitation of the light sensor they are using.
    tflash likes this.

I guess I'm having a hard time getting my point across. When the N7 is on the table (not holding it), the light will go up, then back down, then up etc. constantly all within the span of 2 or 3 minutes. The ambient light has NOT changed, and the device has NOT moved. Before 4.2 it worked perfectly. It's as simple as that. Maybe yours works, mine doesn't.

Mine isn't working properly either it adjusts every 5-10 seconds and it is doing a number on my battery, before the update i could go three to four days on a charge, now im lucky to get a day and my usage is the same....

sent from my RAZR MAXX

Totally agree hpilot, I've tested my Nexus 7 in constant light conditions, the behaviour of the auto-brightness is most definitely broken on my device.

4.2.1 seems okay for me so far...

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by hpilot View Post
    I guess I'm having a hard time getting my point across. When the N7 is on the table (not holding it), the light will go up, then back down, then up etc. constantly all within the span of 2 or 3 minutes. The ambient light has NOT changed, and the device has NOT moved. Before 4.2 it worked perfectly. It's as simple as that. Maybe yours works, mine doesn't.
    I can confirm this. I'm using an app called "Screen Brightness"(aka. "Custom Auto Brightness" by Dmitry Matuzko) on both my Thunderbolt and my Nexus 7. It allows you to customize how bright the screen is at specific ambient brightnesses, which is really useful because I generally dislike the factory defaults for auto brightness. It also allows you to update the frequency at which samples are taken and adjustments are made.

Since 4.2, I've noticed that even with the app set properly I was getting an up-and-down brightness pretty frequently, much to my annoyance.

I started the app (which shows the current brightness reading) and sure enough, the brightness indicator was jumping over very large gaps very rapidly even with my N7 sitting perfectly still on a table. This is not at all like the behavior I saw on 4.1.2, where the jumps were a lot smaller.

So that tells me two things:

1. It's software and will eventually be fixed. The sensor was a little twitchy before 4.2 but has now gone buggy.

2. The only current way around it for me using Auto brightness was to set a brightness that's a little higher than I'd like in a darkened room and a little darker than I'd like it in a lighted area, and set that constant brightness up to about an indicated 200lux, then do a more normal heuristic curve from there on up. Others might choose to turn off Auto and either choose a "good enough" brightness or set up a quick way to change brightness levels like Curvefish's "Brighness Level" or a similar quick brightness switch.

"Auto" seems fundamentally broken in 4.2 and 4.2.1. Not a critical flaw, but an annoying one nonetheless, and hopefully one that gets fixed.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast