4.2 Auto Brightness Bug

Yul Brynner

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

My N7 ran flawlessly under the predecessor to 4.2. I have now noticed that 4.2 has caused a glitch in my auto brightness. Instead of only adjusting with light or absence of light, it will make a subtle change in brightness levels every 30 seconds or so, notwithstanding that external lighting is unchanged. I would assume this is a software problem associated with 4.2. Has anyone else observed this since the 4.2 upgrade?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No problem here. First things first--I assume your light sensor is clean, without anything blocking it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

qreepii

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing with my auto brightness. I've also noticed my battery is burning fast.

kpw09

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
When I have brightness set to Auto, the screen dim and brightens for no apparent reason; it's very annoying, at least for me. In my situation, I don't think the issue is related to the upgrade to 4.2; however, it's tough to say because I just received by Nexus 7 and didn't have much time to use it before the upgrade was installed. A quick Google search shows that this problem existed since the device was released.

Yul Brynner

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, those are my exact symptoms. I feel confident that the problem lies with 4.2, since no such problem existed prior to uploading 4.2 yesterday evening.

Lionel666

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've got the same problem with my brigthness since version 4.2. And some of my apps are now crashing. Is version 4.2 just crap? I will downgrade as soon as possible.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With regards to apps crashing, this kind of thing is common whenever there's a new system update. Most major apps will get updated to be compatible pretty soon, especially as complaints start to pour in.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How about just setting the brightness manually to around 50% for now?

Yul Brynner

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that eliminates the issue (since it does not involve use of auto brightness). However, if I do not return to the brick and mortar store within the next 5 days, I will have to deal directly with the manufacturer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it's a software issue, it will likely be corrected in an upcoming update.

Yul Brynner

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Right. My only concern is that the next update will come after my return period expires. If the update does not resolve the issue, then I will have lost my opportunity to return.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I know. I'm just saying that since this is a Nexus device, another update will come at some point which will likely solve the problem. So if you don't mind manually setting the brightness until then, there's no need to return the tablet.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
This is def. a bug with the 4.2 update. I noticed this first thing after getting the update. I am un-rooted and running stock configuration on a C60.

Hopefully they will address this very soon as it is highly annoying, but yes for now we just have to deal with it or use manual setting on brightness level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome