Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.2 Auto Brightness Bug

Hello,

My N7 ran flawlessly under the predecessor to 4.2. I have now noticed that 4.2 has caused a glitch in my auto brightness. Instead of only adjusting with light or absence of light, it will make a subtle change in brightness levels every 30 seconds or so, notwithstanding that external lighting is unchanged. I would assume this is a software problem associated with 4.2. Has anyone else observed this since the 4.2 upgrade?

Default Re: 4.2 Auto Brightness Bug

No problem here. First things first--I assume your light sensor is clean, without anything blocking it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, just the usual fingerprints.

I've noticed the same thing with my auto brightness. I've also noticed my battery is burning fast.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have also performed a factory restore to no avail. I don't notice diminished battery performance.

When I have brightness set to Auto, the screen dim and brightens for no apparent reason; it's very annoying, at least for me. In my situation, I don't think the issue is related to the upgrade to 4.2; however, it's tough to say because I just received by Nexus 7 and didn't have much time to use it before the upgrade was installed. A quick Google search shows that this problem existed since the device was released.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yes, those are my exact symptoms. I feel confident that the problem lies with 4.2, since no such problem existed prior to uploading 4.2 yesterday evening.

I've got the same problem with my brigthness since version 4.2. And some of my apps are now crashing. Is version 4.2 just crap? I will downgrade as soon as possible.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Is there a way to downgrade without rooting?

With regards to apps crashing, this kind of thing is common whenever there's a new system update. Most major apps will get updated to be compatible pretty soon, especially as complaints start to pour in.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Does this problem merit a return, or should I just sit back and wait for the next firmware update to kick out the bugs?

How about just setting the brightness manually to around 50% for now?

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Yes, that eliminates the issue (since it does not involve use of auto brightness). However, if I do not return to the brick and mortar store within the next 5 days, I will have to deal directly with the manufacturer.

If it's a software issue, it will likely be corrected in an upcoming update.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Right. My only concern is that the next update will come after my return period expires. If the update does not resolve the issue, then I will have lost my opportunity to return.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying that since this is a Nexus device, another update will come at some point which will likely solve the problem. So if you don't mind manually setting the brightness until then, there's no need to return the tablet.

I observed the same problem when reading a book from Google Play. This is most annoying and wasn't a problem until after the 4.2 upgrade.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil3, Stock/franco

I have the same problem, I think it has to do with "Project Roadrunner". Using manual brightness for now. SHAME
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

The question I have is, if it is indeed a software issue, why do only some N7 owners experience the problem?

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

This is def. a bug with the 4.2 update. I noticed this first thing after getting the update. I am un-rooted and running stock configuration on a C60.

Hopefully they will address this very soon as it is highly annoying, but yes for now we just have to deal with it or use manual setting on brightness level.

My personal opinion about 4.2 is that it's a crappy release . For those of you that think it's great please let's not argue about it I'm just giving my opinion .

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2
    kokakoala likes this.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Do you think I should return it, and take the chance that the next one will not have this bug?

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil3, Stock/franco

This is 4.2 software issue, not hardware. I have no problem on 4.1.2 before that.

I also have this brightness issue on my N7 since updating to 4.2

I have the same problem with 4.2. Also many other problems. When I turn on the N7, I have to hold the power button down about 30 seconds before it will start to boot up. Anyone else have this problem? I can live with the app problems, but these are basic OS problems - no excuse. I feel it has destroyed this fine tablet...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast