If I reset my device.. Will it automatically update with 4.2??

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a ton of issues with my device when I first got it--namely, that the system UI would frequently crash--requiring a reset. Now, I'm experiencing issues again.

4.1.2 made my device laggy, and now all my apps crash often. Just a couple days ago (haven't downloaded any new apps) my battery indicator started acting up. It shows everything at 100% even after hours of use--and makes up details that never occurred, like that it's been 'charging' or that it was awake when it wasn't. I tried letting it die to 'regauge', but that hasn't helped. Although I've been tolerating these quirks up until now, I think another reset might be in order. I mean it's livable, but apps that used to be totally solid/reliable are freezing up.

Though, I'm of the mindset that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I'm sure 4.2 is amazing, but I'm fine with 4.1 for now at least; I hear there are a couple issues here and there that I'd rather not worry about atm. I'll probably get around to dl'ing it eventually, but right now I just want it to function as it did before. My question is, if I perform a factory reset tonight, will it automatically load the newest OS? I haven't been prompted for one yet, but I'd imagine it would automatically load 4.2..

Do you think a hard reset might help? Hard resets don't prompt OS updates, right? I'm just really confused as to why my device would start acting up

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure but like 90% sure a factory reset only deletes all data on your tablet and takes you back to stock before you put anything on it so I'm pretty sure a factory reset won't make you update to 4.2

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
if you factory reset it you will get the update quicker. but you have to push update to update it.

but i think it will fix all your problems.

do this. factory rest. connect to wifi. update to 4.2. then download all apps.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I actually don't want the update lol. I've been getting notifications for the update every half hour or so since yesterday. I was wondering if a factory reset would automatically prompt the device to install 4.2, or if I would still be able to opt out.

Thomas Dennis

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine did a factory reset on his Nexus 7 last night, and he's currently running 4.1.2.
I don't know how and I don't know why, but he's not running 4.2
Don't make a decision just based of this comment though. o_O
Good luck!

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It's not magically going to be 4.2 after reseting. You will lstill have to install it, and reseting doesn't mean you will get it faster.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I had a ton of issues with my device when I first got it--namely, that the system UI would frequently crash--requiring a reset. Now, I'm experiencing issues again.

4.1.2 made my device laggy, and now all my apps crash often. Just a couple days ago (haven't downloaded any new apps) my battery indicator started acting up. It shows everything at 100% even after hours of use--and makes up details that never occurred, like that it's been 'charging' or that it was awake when it wasn't. I tried letting it die to 'regauge', but that hasn't helped. Although I've been tolerating these quirks up until now, I think another reset might be in order. I mean it's livable, but apps that used to be totally solid/reliable are freezing up.

Though, I'm of the mindset that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I'm sure 4.2 is amazing, but I'm fine with 4.1 for now at least; I hear there are a couple issues here and there that I'd rather not worry about atm. I'll probably get around to dl'ing it eventually, but right now I just want it to function as it did before. My question is, if I perform a factory reset tonight, will it automatically load the newest OS? I haven't been prompted for one yet, but I'd imagine it would automatically load 4.2..

Do you think a hard reset might help? Hard resets don't prompt OS updates, right? I'm just really confused as to why my device would start acting up

Check this post

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-how-get-4-2-ota-update-now-your-welcome.html

markst

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I wiped my wife's Nexus 7 and when it loaded up it had 4.2 on it. That's assuming you are using Google backup.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
A reset won't take you back all it does its wipe data. Just wait for the apps that don't work to be updated. It's not worth the work trying to go back

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I wiped my wife's Nexus 7 and when it loaded up it had 4.2 on it. That's assuming you are using Google backup.

And her N7 was running 4.1 prior to the wipe? This is exactly what I wanted to know, thanks :).

I don't want 4.2, so I don't care about it magically prompting me. 4.1.2 didn't do anything great, other than making my device a little slower. Now, just recently, I'm experiencing weird issues with apps that erasing data/reinstalling won't fix; with external keyboards not working well; with the battery going crazy even after letting it die a few times; etc. I'm afraid updating to 4.2 will only make it worse (I'm not speaking for all N7's, just mine)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It's impossible for it to automatically load 4.2 after a factory reset. All it does is erase all user data and return it to how it was before you set it up. If you're on 4.1.2 you're still going to be. It won't update until it pops up and asks you to install it.

If you don't want the update, but want to reset to fix your app issues, then go for it.