Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: A bit of buyers remorse....

Quote Originally Posted by emul8ter25 View Post
    I wanted a full tablet experience with a portable form factor. Instead we got a gimped experience so asus could save a few cents per tablet.
    You said you understood that the Nexus 7 didn't have the feature you wanted when you bought it, and that it wasn't until later that you realized how much you missed that feature. Therefore, your disappointment should be directed at yourself, not the manufacturer. If you wanted the full tablet experience (whatever that means) in the 7" form factor, why didn't you buy a model that offers such a thing? Or why not complain about the other manufacturers of 7" tablets that have the video out feature, but whose tablet experience is lacking in other ways or whose price is much more expensive? Your remorse just seems to be misdirected.

You make it sound like it's simple and cheap to do the things you want, but that's not necessarily true. There's also engineering, programming, royalty, and support costs involved. The more features you add, the more complexity there is. The more complexity, the higher the cost, regardless of how cheap the actual part is.

Based on what the N7 sells for, I don't think Asus has a lot of margin to play with (it's a matter of percentages, not cents). A few cents (though I doubt it would just be a few cents) may not sound like much to you, but multiply that by tens of millions of units, and suddenly you're talking serious money. So to add such a feature just to appease a very small number of users wouldn't be make much business sense. They wouldn't sell significantly more, but their margins and profit would be reduced. That's not a good way to run a business, and I didn't even have to go to business school to figure that out.

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

I love my Nexus 7, but I really miss having no video out option.
    Did you mean to say that you miss having a video output option?

If so, I thought that 4.2 adds a wireless option called miracast...

Will that not do what you want?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dparrothead1 View Post
    A little research = no buyers remorse. Heck, just a glance at the specs would have told you this.
    Ummm.. Maybe not for you but that would be a reason for me to wish that I hadn't bought something... If I found out that it didn't do what I hoped or thought it did...

And there is so much noise/clutter on the web about upcoming devices that it is easy to get bad info... We need look no further than TMobile posting that the N4 has an SD card slot yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by OldDogEyes View Post
    Did you mean to say that you miss having a video output option?

If so, I thought that 4.2 adds a wireless option called miracast...

Will that not do what you want?

Miracast currently does not work with the N7.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    You said you understood that the Nexus 7 didn't have the feature you wanted when you bought it, and that it wasn't until later that you realized how much you missed that feature. Therefore, your disappointment should be directed at yourself, not the manufacturer. If you wanted the full tablet experience (whatever that means) in the 7" form factor, why didn't you buy a model that offers such a thing? Or why not complain about the other manufacturers of 7" tablets that have the video out feature, but whose tablet experience is lacking in other ways or whose price is much more expensive? Your remorse just seems to be misdirected.

You make it sound like it's simple and cheap to do the things you want, but that's not necessarily true. There's also engineering, programming, royalty, and support costs involved. The more features you add, the more complexity there is. The more complexity, the higher the cost, regardless of how cheap the actual part is.

Based on what the N7 sells for, I don't think Asus has a lot of margin to play with (it's a matter of percentages, not cents). A few cents (though I doubt it would just be a few cents) may not sound like much to you, but multiply that by tens of millions of units, and suddenly you're talking serious money. So to add such a feature just to appease a very small number of users wouldn't be make much business sense. They wouldn't sell significantly more, but their margins and profit would be reduced. That's not a good way to run a business, and I didn't even have to go to business school to figure that out.

I disagree with you on several points.

Considered the vast majority of Android tablets have hdmi out, its nearly a standard feature. Unfortunately for us, there are not a lot of quality options in the 7" range.

I make it sound simple? Well, considering every other Android tablet Asus makes has hdmi out, and the fact the "Nexus 7" had hdmi out before they partnered with google and removed the feature, I'm sure they got it figured out...

And yeah, obviously Asus would have made less if the cost of manufacturing the Nexus was higher.

But you are right about one thing. I made a mistake and should have waited for a tablet that fit my needs. Currently that option doesnt seem to exist.

I mean c'mon, how much more would it cost to build to make that micro-usb mhl compliant?
    Frankly in my eyes it's a glaring omission on Asus's part. If another 7" tablet comes along that can match the Nexus 7 but also has video out, it will clearly be the better tablet because of it. At the time we all thought the Nexus 7 was an incredible value, but frankly the Nexus 10 shames it seeing as Samsung did not cut corners like Asus did.

Um, thats how supply demand works. If you don't like it, don't buy it, and then tech companies will know know not to make it! If you buy it despite its faults then companies will continue to make compromised devices....

That, and they did manage to get it down to a great price. I think the problem is not that the Nexus 7 doesn't do everything that it should, its just that it would be nice if Google also had a premium, feature packed tablet in addition to the cheap one. Like a 10" tablet with a great display, now that would be fantastic.

I really like the 7" size format for its portability. I think its better than 10" tablets for everything except sitting on the couch using it.
    Currently I think the Nexus 7 is the best 7" tablet in pretty much every area except missing a video out feature. But honestly, if there was a 7" that was as good as the Nexus and had video out, that would be my choice even if it cost more.

Asus cut corners to save money, and now it just makes the Nexus 7 feel incomplete to me. If it had MHL compliant usb, I could live with that. Micro HDMI would have been even better...
    Now the fact Asus skimped on the WiFi with a single band 2.4ghz means no MiraCast for the Nexus 7....

In all honestly, knowing what I do now, I would not buy it again.
    Somehow I think the world would still go around and the Nexus 7 would still sell 1 million tablets per month even if emul8ter25 did not post this whiny thread.

Also, my care cup seems to be empty so i will quietly exit this worthless thread.

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Personally I bought the N7 as a "portable device" and see no need for video out. If I want to watch videos on the TV I have plenty other options.
    Mikesnexus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post

So what if the profit margins would be reduced? Sell it at a smaller profit margin and make up the lost revenue with the app store.

Just like subsidizing printers with high cost of ink or cellphones with overage charges

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I purchased my N7 on release day as an impulse . But for the most part it was left sitting on my desk while my Xoom LTE was used for over 90% of my computer needs. Then on Oct 26th I went to the hospital to have 2 ribs plated that I had broken in January. I took both the Xoom and the N7 with me. Although I was planning to mainly use the Xoom the N7 was my back up. After my surgery it was extremely difficult for me to sit up. So I started putting the Xoom on my chest with the portfolio case from Motorola. After a few minutes the Xoom became to heavy so I started using my N7. Now that I am home and I have some mobility I have my Xoom on a table next to me with an HDMI cable going to the TV. My N7 has became my "main" tablet for everything except videos. I do intend on picking up an N10 sometime after the first of the year, but by getting so much use out of my N7 I don't feel like I have to rush out and get one right away.

So at first as little as I used the N7 I was having a bit of "why did I talk myself into getting this." But now I am so glad I did.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Stang68 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    So what if the profit margins would be reduced? Sell it at a smaller profit margin and make up the lost revenue with the app store.
    That's what they are doing already, it is not like they can force people to buy more apps to cover the cost of extra features that not everyone wants anyway.

Just like subsidizing printers with high cost of ink or cellphones with overage charges
    Not the same, printers need ink to run, tablets don't need paid apps. As for cellphones, the overage charges don't subsidise the plans, they are just another way to squeeze more money from the customers.
    Dr. Guzzi likes this.

HDMI and mSD would have only served to push my feelings of my tab over the top. I travel extensively and I can't tell you the hours this thing has helped me endure. And like others have mentioned I have other options available to me. Carrying a rooted Razer Maxx and my N7 and really there isn't much that I lack.
    But if/when a N7 comes out with a mSD and HDMI out I will be in line on release day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    Asus doesn't make money from the app store, so don't know quite how they'd make up for a smaller profit margin. And tell "so what" to the stock holders and they'll tell you, "so what if it doesn't have hdmi, we're selling plenty as it is, and profit margins are small enough already."
    mr_nobody likes this.

I really like the 7" size format for its portability. I think its better than 10" tablets for everything except sitting on the couch using it.
    Currently I think the Nexus 7 is the best 7" tablet in pretty much every area except missing a video out feature. But honestly, if there was a 7" that was as good as the Nexus and had video out, that would be my choice even if it cost more.

Asus cut corners to save money, and now it just makes the Nexus 7 feel incomplete to me. If it had MHL compliant usb, I could live with that. Micro HDMI would have been even better...
    Now the fact Asus skimped on the WiFi with a single band 2.4ghz means no MiraCast for the Nexus 7....

In all honestly, knowing what I do now, I would not buy it again.
    LOL, get out of here with that weak s.h.i.t. OP. First world problems, bro.
    Thanked by:
    MJKearney likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12