Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Doubles of everything!

Ever since the 4.2 update, every folder on my Nexus, including the contents of each has been duplicated (and now has weird named like"/storage/emulated/x or /storage/legacy/x). I tried deleting an empty folder titled "0" (the only one NOT doubled) and suddenly NOTHING worked.
    Tried a factory reset, and it happened again. The only thing I'm thing I'm doing "file-wise" is loading ebooks via Calibre which was never a problem before 4.2 so I doubt it's an issue here but I can't think of what caused this OR HOW TO FIX IT! And now my ereader (nook app) can't find any of my books because they're in the wrong spot.

Help!
    (Photo via Astro)
    Doubles of everything!-screenshot_2012-11-15-04-04-50.png

Default Re: Doubles of everything!

Me too I now have 4 SD cards!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Doubles of everything!-uploadfromtaptalk1353187441644.jpg  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I have the exact same problem. Files are appearing twice for me after updating my Galaxy Nexus to official stock Android 4.2. Image folders are listed twice in the Gallery app and so are ringtones, etc.

Solid Explorer is listing "Internal memory" and "legacy" which is a pointless duplicate/mirror of the internal memory. How can I get rid of this? It's pretty bizarre and would confuse the heck out of any normal user. Bad, Google.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Now that I look at the locations tab, I also have 4 SD Cards.

Glad to know I'm not alone, even though a why/fix hasn't been found.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I've been on 20+ forum pages in the search of a solution - nada, so far. There are a lot of references to this issue, though. I find it very odd that I'm using stock Android 4.2 and my files are appearing twice in Google's own apps. That's a pretty serious bug.

Same here using Astro. ES file explorer looks normal though.

I don't have Astro... but everything is normal using ES File Explorer for me.

Originally, I thought my emulator was making this. Can anyone confirm this takes double your storage? I checked, there were two folders with the exact same files, both taking 8.9GB. When I checked my system storage, it said I had 13.6GB used. It's suppose to take more then 16GB up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Arctic HD

If it's just astro then it's obviously an app issue. Maybe it's showing stuff for other users? Try es file explorer and see what it shows

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Based on suggestions, I tried ES File Explorer which shows only one SD card and only one copy of everything. Additionally, no more references to "legacy" or "emulated" and the odd "0" folder is gone.

So if this is an Astro issue, how does that work? I guess I'll use ES now, but how do I tell which one is "right"?

PS anyone know what "Blinkify TabletReader is? Google is no help and the folder is empty.

(Pic Via ES File Explorer)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Doubles of everything!-uploadfromtaptalk1353214118011.jpg  

ROM
    Arctic HD

You will have to wait for astro to be updated, but I've found that es Is a better program anyway.

ROM
    Arctic HD

As for the folder. It's probably related to something you downloaded. Delete it if it's empty, it can't hurt. If its needed for an app, it will come back. :thumbup:

Global Posts
    797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jellybean

When I look in Astro, I have four SD cards... But I'm not seeing duplicate folders. It definitely looks like an Astro issue.

Could it be something to do with multiple users? Maybe the way this is handled is confusing Astro?

Quote Originally Posted by johnwccres View Post
    Could it be something to do with multiple users? Maybe the way this is handled is confusing Astro?
    This. I just remembered trying out multiple users. As for the one guy who doesn't know which one is the right one, I believe it doesn't matter. I added an external application from outside the Play Store, and it updated to both folders. If you don't want the trouble, just download ES Explorer.

Actually, you can see this with ES File Explorer as well. Go in to ES Settings>Root Settings and check Up To Root. Back out, then touch the Up button at the top until you have Acct, Cache, Config, etc. Touch Storage. I have emulated and sdcard0 in this folder. Additionally, Storage Analyser also sees four SD cards, all of the same size.

I have this problem in several non-explorer type applications including Adobe Reader. Going to the "Manage" area of the Reader shows two of every pdf file.

Hi all,

I have a similar (possibly same) problem. First appeared when all my photo albums showed up twice in gallery (started after I inserted an external SD card). Not sure if this is the same problem you all have, but here's what mine seems to be... Looking at the duplicate pics, one set is located in /mnt/sdcard and the other is in /storage/sdcard0. But these are actually both the same location (I suspect /mnt/sdcard is a link to the /storage/sdcard0 folder or vice versa). Following either folder leads to the same ultimate directory, confirmed by deleting a file in one location and having it disappear in both. This explains why there are twice as many storage cards (both /mnt and /storage have a folder for each card) and twice as many pictures. Next question... is there a way to hide/eliminate one safely without root access? Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by s36x View Post
    Based on suggestions, I tried ES File Explorer which shows only one SD card and only one copy of everything. Additionally, no more references to "legacy" or "emulated" and the odd "0" folder is gone.

So if this is an Astro issue, how does that work? I guess I'll use ES now, but how do I tell which one is "right"?

PS anyone know what "Blinkify TabletReader is? Google is no help and the folder is empty.

(Pic Via ES File Explorer)
    the "legacy" or "emulated" and the odd "0" folder is because of multiuser support. even though phones didn't enable the multi-user support the folder structure remains for consistency.
    ie, phones will use 0 as the folder for SD card. in tablet if you create multiple user it will create a folder "1" for the new user and so forth.
    its expected. if you click favorite in ES explorer click "/"-->storage-->emulated will have "0" and legacy

It's not just an Astro issue, same thing happens when i use Adobe Reader Folder view

If you have the same photos on phone and SD card it will show both. Sometimes you can hide one set if you use an app called QuickPic. This app has a setting to choose folders to hide so I hide most of my system folders and others without real photos in it.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S3

Found this. Apparently it's nothing to worry about.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...jNvhwb3wf3Wuhw

OK, so why is it that when I put an MP3 file in the Notifications folder on my SD card, it appears TWICE in the list of notification sounds in the sound settings? I have verified that the file is only in the one place (which is duplicated by the 0 and Legacy folders).

Quote Originally Posted by jaypath View Post
    Hi all,

I have a similar (possibly same) problem. First appeared when all my photo albums showed up twice in gallery (started after I inserted an external SD card). Not sure if this is the same problem you all have, but here's what mine seems to be... Looking at the duplicate pics, one set is located in /mnt/sdcard and the other is in /storage/sdcard0. But these are actually both the same location (I suspect /mnt/sdcard is a link to the /storage/sdcard0 folder or vice versa). Following either folder leads to the same ultimate directory, confirmed by deleting a file in one location and having it disappear in both. This explains why there are twice as many storage cards (both /mnt and /storage have a folder for each card) and twice as many pictures. Next question... is there a way to hide/eliminate one safely without root access? Hope this helps...

Um, yeah, and? Do you have something NEW to add?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast