Doubles of everything!

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Ever since the 4.2 update, every folder on my Nexus, including the contents of each has been duplicated (and now has weird named like"/storage/emulated/x or /storage/legacy/x). I tried deleting an empty folder titled "0" (the only one NOT doubled) and suddenly NOTHING worked.
Tried a factory reset, and it happened again. The only thing I'm thing I'm doing "file-wise" is loading ebooks via Calibre which was never a problem before 4.2 so I doubt it's an issue here but I can't think of what caused this OR HOW TO FIX IT! And now my ereader (nook app) can't find any of my books because they're in the wrong spot.

Help!
(Photo via Astro)
Screenshot_2012-11-15-04-04-50.png

TheBish0p

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. Files are appearing twice for me after updating my Galaxy Nexus to official stock Android 4.2. Image folders are listed twice in the Gallery app and so are ringtones, etc.

Solid Explorer is listing "Internal memory" and "legacy" which is a pointless duplicate/mirror of the internal memory. How can I get rid of this? It's pretty bizarre and would confuse the heck out of any normal user. Bad, Google.

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Now that I look at the locations tab, I also have 4 SD Cards.

Glad to know I'm not alone, even though a why/fix hasn't been found.

TheBish0p

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been on 20+ forum pages in the search of a solution - nada, so far. There are a lot of references to this issue, though. I find it very odd that I'm using stock Android 4.2 and my files are appearing twice in Google's own apps. That's a pretty serious bug.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Originally, I thought my emulator was making this. Can anyone confirm this takes double your storage? I checked, there were two folders with the exact same files, both taking 8.9GB. When I checked my system storage, it said I had 13.6GB used. It's suppose to take more then 16GB up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
If it's just astro then it's obviously an app issue. Maybe it's showing stuff for other users? Try es file explorer and see what it shows

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Based on suggestions, I tried ES File Explorer which shows only one SD card and only one copy of everything. Additionally, no more references to "legacy" or "emulated" and the odd "0" folder is gone.

So if this is an Astro issue, how does that work? I guess I'll use ES now, but how do I tell which one is "right"?

PS anyone know what "Blinkify TabletReader is? Google is no help and the folder is empty.

(Pic Via ES File Explorer)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353214118011.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353214118011.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 57

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
As for the folder. It's probably related to something you downloaded. Delete it if it's empty, it can't hurt. If its needed for an app, it will come back. :thumbup:

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Could it be something to do with multiple users? Maybe the way this is handled is confusing Astro?

This. I just remembered trying out multiple users. As for the one guy who doesn't know which one is the right one, I believe it doesn't matter. I added an external application from outside the Play Store, and it updated to both folders. If you don't want the trouble, just download ES Explorer.

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Actually, you can see this with ES File Explorer as well. Go in to ES Settings>Root Settings and check Up To Root. Back out, then touch the Up button at the top until you have Acct, Cache, Config, etc. Touch Storage. I have emulated and sdcard0 in this folder. Additionally, Storage Analyser also sees four SD cards, all of the same size.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I have this problem in several non-explorer type applications including Adobe Reader. Going to the "Manage" area of the Reader shows two of every pdf file.

jaypath

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a similar (possibly same) problem. First appeared when all my photo albums showed up twice in gallery (started after I inserted an external SD card). Not sure if this is the same problem you all have, but here's what mine seems to be... Looking at the duplicate pics, one set is located in /mnt/sdcard and the other is in /storage/sdcard0. But these are actually both the same location (I suspect /mnt/sdcard is a link to the /storage/sdcard0 folder or vice versa). Following either folder leads to the same ultimate directory, confirmed by deleting a file in one location and having it disappear in both. This explains why there are twice as many storage cards (both /mnt and /storage have a folder for each card) and twice as many pictures. Next question... is there a way to hide/eliminate one safely without root access? Hope this helps...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Based on suggestions, I tried ES File Explorer which shows only one SD card and only one copy of everything. Additionally, no more references to "legacy" or "emulated" and the odd "0" folder is gone.

So if this is an Astro issue, how does that work? I guess I'll use ES now, but how do I tell which one is "right"?

PS anyone know what "Blinkify TabletReader is? Google is no help and the folder is empty.

(Pic Via ES File Explorer)
the "legacy" or "emulated" and the odd "0" folder is because of multiuser support. even though phones didn't enable the multi-user support the folder structure remains for consistency.
ie, phones will use 0 as the folder for SD card. in tablet if you create multiple user it will create a folder "1" for the new user and so forth.
its expected. if you click favorite in ES explorer click "/"-->storage-->emulated will have "0" and legacy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy