Nexus 7 won't boot

Thomas Dennis

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So I've had my Nexus for about two weeks now, and every time I turn it off (whether it be due to low battery or I don't want notifications to bother me whilst I sleep), I have trouble turning it back on.

This morning, it died due to a low battery. I've been charging it for 5 hours straight, and it won't turn on at all. Now I've had problems, per se, turning it on (where I press all three buttons in conjunction or in a random pattern until it finally gets on, sometimes in recovery mode even!). But this is the worst. I know the battery should be good enough to at least let it power on. But nothing doing, all my efforts are to no avail.

Anybody have an idea?
Please and thank you!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds. it will boot up.

if you dont want notifications when you sleep go to settings-->wifi-->menu-->advanced-->keep wifi on during sleep-->never

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds. it will boot up.

if you dont want notifications when you sleep go to settings-->wifi-->menu-->advanced-->keep wifi on during sleep-->never

That doesn't mean when you are sleeping lol.. It means when the tablet is sleeping. You should leave it on usually or you will have to wait when you wake the tablet for it to connect. If you don't want notifications, just hold the power button for a few seconds. And hit the bottom where it says silent mode. It will turn all sounds off except alarm.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

HanitaTaotjo

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thanks. Couldn't turn on my Nexus 7 today (I have no idea why) and I had a mini heart attack. Held down the power button for 15seconds and it powered up. :)

michael Rousseau

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
To all those out there who say "simply hold down the power button for: 15, 30, 45 seconds and it will come on - well it may have worked for you but it will not work for me and, I imagine, others. Mine is completely dead. Plugged it in to recharge with original equipment when half charged and when I came home and unplugged it, it was dead as the proverbial...

Bulldog1377

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
My doughters N7. had this issue, we had to plug it in and hit the power button for 15 Seconds which powered it up and it has been working. Don't know why it didnt work the othe way but at least its working now. Kids.....

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I got my Nexus 7 on Saturday, didn't have time to really play with it, charged it up on Sunday and took it out of the case this morning to use it, and the battery is near zero. I had been turned off, never used and on the charger until this morning. So sitting in its case for 5-6 hours and it has a dead battery. I had to press the power and volume up/down all at the same time to get it to respond.

So I just found out that GPS is on by default and low and behold I didn't actually check it, but when you turn on airplaine mode shouldn't it be turned off by default when you put it into airplane mode? Killed my battery.

Last edited:

John Telford

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have had exact same problem.
Ran out of charge and unit wouldnt boot even tho it had been plugged in using original charger for like 5 hours
I also held power button down for 1minute and even longer several times
As a last resort I tried plugging it into a powered USB port on my computer just cause I'd run out of options and after 20sec holding the power button down it came to life and is now charging.
Must say I dont know why Nexus 7 gets such good reviews because of this problem and the dramas I have to go through to get movies from my collection onto it!!

first tablet

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The reboot didn't work for me, but I bought a new charger on Amazon for about $6 and am back up and running. Had printed all the paperwork for a return, but the new charger seems to have done the trick