Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By iHelpYouShy
  • 1 Post By Suntan
  • 1 Post By MJKearney
  • 2 Post By paparazzo79
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how to transfer mass amount of docs to nexus without oth cable??

I didn't manage to find OTG cable in my city.I need to transfer some video clips,e-magazines from my notebook to my nexus 7 without this cable.First thing I thought is via Bluetooth.Is there any other way?

Default Re: how to transfer mass amount of docs to nexus without oth cable??

Box, Dropbox, or Google Drive?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

I haven't updated the Dropbox app in a while, but last I checked you could only download one file at a time--craaazy slow if you have tons of articles you want to cache offline. The newest Box.com update allows you to batch download by simply clicking on the folder you store the files in. Not to mention, you can actually upload things instead of just downloading them. I would highly recommend Box over DB, but that's just me.

Though, you might be able to get more space with Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/spacerace. The only reason I have DB is because everyone uses it, so all my shared folders are on there.

The easiest way to upload large quantities of files is to download DB/Box on your computer; it creates a special synced folder on your computer that you can literally just drag and drop files into--which will automatically get uploaded to the cloud.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

any other way,not to uploading files over internet?some sort of connection between my pc and nexus?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Box, Dropbox, or Google Drive?

So I basically upload files from my notebook to dropbox and then download them via nexus 7?

Quote Originally Posted by paparazzo79 View Post
    any other way,not to uploading files over internet?some sort of connection between my pc and nexus?
    Yes, simply connect the two with a normal USB cable. For convenience, use the cable that came with the charger. The N7 will show up as another drive on your computer. Open that drive in Windows Explorer and copy files from your computer to whatever folder you prefer on the Nexus 7.

Or, assuming you have WiFi, install a file manager app like Solid Explorer. If will allow you to not only see the folders and files on your N7, but also on your PC if it's on the same network and you grant the proper permissions. Then you can transfer files back and forth wirelessly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I use Wifi File Explorer pro on my phone and transfer via wifi

~~HTC Evo Design~~
    ~*Purple Android*~

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    Yes, simply connect the two with a normal USB cable. For convenience, use the cable that came with the charger. The N7 will show up as another drive on your computer. Open that drive in Windows Explorer and copy files from your computer to whatever folder you prefer on the Nexus 7.
    Of course, how silly of me. Connecting the tablet to the PC via USB cable and then dragging and dropping the files using Windows Explorer is clearly the simplest way.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Of course, how silly of me. Connecting the tablet to the PC via USB cable and then dragging and dropping the files using Windows Explorer is clearly the simplest way.

OK when I do that,where my files will be stored on Nexus 7?In which folder?

Whatever folder you put them in... It's no different than moving files around on your computer. You pick the folder or make a new one.

~~HTC Evo Design~~
    ~*Purple Android*~

Can't you put all your docs in a zip file and upload it then download it into your tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by iHelpYouShy View Post
    Can't you put all your docs in a zip file and upload it then download it into your tablet?
    As long as you have a zip file extractor app, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

~~HTC Evo Design~~
    ~*Purple Android*~

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurpleAndroid View Post
    As long as you have a zip file extractor app, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

~~HTC Evo Design~~
    There's plenty in the play store. I bought Office when it was 25 cents in the play store and it was one of the best things I've ever bought. There's also es zip viewer.

never mind
    Last edited by xips; 11-16-2012 at 06:21 AM.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Or, assuming you have WiFi, install a file manager app like Solid Explorer. If will allow you to not only see the folders and files on your N7, but also on your PC if it's on the same network and you grant the proper permissions. Then you can transfer files back and forth wirelessly.

So are you sure really I can connect these 2 devices using cable with came wit my charger,or I need some special one.I hope I won't burn my nexus ....

That's why they make the USB chargers for mobile devices, multi purpose.

~~HTC Evo Design~~
    ~*Purple Android*~

So are you sure really I can connect these 2 devices using cable with came wit my charger,or I need some special one.I hope I won't burn my nexus ....
    I use that cable to connect to my computer more than I do to connect it to the charger. In fact just this morning I connected it, created a directory on the N7 (through the computer) and dragged/dropped some files from the computer onto the tablet.

I didn't manage to find OTG cable in my city.I need to transfer some video clips,e-magazines from my notebook to my nexus 7 without this cable.First thing I thought is via Bluetooth.Is there any other way?
    Zip them up in a zip file, use dropbox or drive to transfer, then unzip.

I use Total Commander file mgr, makes this stuff EASY.

(edit) Oh, I omitted that Total Commander also has plug-ins for FTP and LAN shares, so you could arguably bypass the Dropbox/Drive/cloud storage middlemen, if your ZIP file is on a shared drive/partition. USB cables and MTP, who needs that?
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 11-16-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: additional note about my file manager of choice
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Just plugging the USB cable between the N7 and the computer would be the fastest way. The tablet just mounts as external storage and then tyou move the files to whereever you want to put them.

Personally though, I don't think I've ever bothered to physically hook any of my android devices to my computer other than when rooting. I prefer to just access the WLAN connected computer through ES File Explorer. Then cut/copy/paste over to the gadget through that.

-Suntan
    ChromeJob likes this.

Yes, you can use the cable that came with your N7.

Or you can use any generic USB cable (standard size type A male to mini type B male - same as what came with your N7) that you may have gotten with some other device or purchased separately.

There is another very cool option that won't burn your Nexus! Install the app AirDroid on your N7 https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sand.airdroid. This is a free app. (No access to Google Play Store in your country? Then try 1Mobile Market or SlideME Market or the developer's website http://www.airdroid.com/index.html )

AirDroid let's you wirelessly control your N7 or any Android device using the internet browser on your computer (your computer and N7 must be on the same wireless network). It provides a very nice and simple interface on your computer that basically lets you operate your N7 from your computer, including allowing you to wirelessly transfer files between your computer and Nexus 7. The advantage is that the interface for doing this is even easier than using Windows Explorer. The disadvantage is that the transfer is slower than connecting with a USB cable.

Good luck!
    ChromeJob likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Yes, you can use the cable that came with your N7.

Or you can use any generic USB cable (standard size type A male to mini type B male - same as what came with your N7) that you may have gotten with some other device or purchased separately.

There is another very cool option that won't burn your Nexus! Install the app AirDroid on your N7 https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sand.airdroid. This is a free app. (No access to Google Play Store in your country? Then try 1Mobile Market or SlideME Market or the developer's website AirDroid-Enjoy your Android Experience over the air )

AirDroid let's you wirelessly control your N7 or any Android device using the internet browser on your computer (your computer and N7 must be on the same wireless network). It provides a very nice and simple interface on your computer that basically lets you operate your N7 from your computer, including allowing you to wirelessly transfer files between your computer and Nexus 7. The advantage is that the interface for doing this is even easier than using Windows Explorer. The disadvantage is that the transfer is slower than connecting with a USB cable.

Good luck!
    I have computer but I don't use wireless on it.I use it only because of tablet.On my comp and notebook I use normal adsl connection via cable.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys I think I will just use that cable which came with my charger and transfer docs from my pc.the most easiest and fastest way.Thanks so much...
    ChromeJob and MJKearney like this.

Make sure to use any folder on your Nexus that starts with /mnt/sdcard/. That represents the main storage memory.

Make sure to use any folder on your Nexus that starts with /mnt/sdcard/. That represents the main storage memory.
    The Nexus 7 uses MTP protocol over USB, I don't think users will see the / file system from the PC.

OP, if you have a Mac you'll have to download a driver to connect via USB. Check the Nexus 7 Guidebook in Play Books (it's free) for details.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    The Nexus 7 uses MTP protocol over USB, I don't think users will see the / file system from the PC.
    I did not know that (in my best Dana Carvey as Johnny Carson voice). Ignore what I said.

Instead of using the actual Drop box or Box apps, I use File Expert. It allows you to do bulk file transfers from either of those services.