Google Play Store apps update bug after 4.2 upgrade - how to fix?

pstjmack

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the problem which I *know* other users are suffering from since upgrading my Nexus 7 to Android JB 4.2 - apps won't download or update in the Google Play Store. Each time I try to update an app [there are about three waiting now, including Google+], or install a new one, I get an error message citing problems retrieving information from the server [RPC:S-5:AEC-0].

How to fix this? Clearing out the data and cache from Google Play Store doesn't seem to help.

I don't want to hard reset my entire machine or sign it up to a dummy account, as I know some fixes have recommended. But if I do have to put in a new account, what do I have to do and how much information do I risk losing? I'd rather just do this for the Play Store than the whole Nexus, of course. Please can someone advise.

I assume this is a problem at the server end to do with Google's new multiple accounts feature. They really should fix it. It's a ridiculous bug. Who wants to deprive your most enthusiastic users of their Google Play accounts? :p

pawber

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
The factory reset does work! I've been getting updates & installing new apps for about a week since I reset the Nexus 7.
You will have to reload your apps if doing a reset.