Can't connect to home WiFi

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Just bought the Nexus 7 and brought it home. It won't connect to my home WiFi. It says Authenticating and goes no further. I have no issues with connecting with my two laptops and my Galaxy Nexus cell phone. I'm about ready to take this thing back and get a refund. Can anyone help?

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Reboot and unplug the roughter and the modem. Plug them back in it will reset everything. Remove the wifi password and type it in again. If this do sent work you mite have a defective chip. Meaning it need to be replaced.

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
First, simply trying rebooting the Nexus 7. Also, as the previous poster said, reboot your router, as I've read that worked for some. Then make sure you used the correct password. You may have typed it in wrong, so do it a few times, very carefully. It's very easy to type in wrong when using a new device, because you're not used to the keyboard.

If those things don't work then here are some other ideas having to do with your router: It's also possible your router is using the 5 GHz bandwidth only that that the Nexus 7 isn't compatible with. It can only handle 2.4GHz, so set the router to dual band if so equipped. Also, if the router is set up for only 802.11n, also allow it to use the 802.11g protocol, as some have said this fixed the problem. Others suggested allowing auto-channel select on the router, while others said changing to a specific channel. Then there are those who had some special settings on the router for whatever purpose, and had to change those back to default in order to get it to work with the N7. Who knows? Everyone seems to have their own theory. Suffice it to say that you aren't the first to have this problem, based on reading the forums, but eventually people got things sorted out.

If nothing works, call Google support at 855-836-3987. They might be able to help you resolve it. Or exchange it for a 32GB model, as the 16gb models seem to have this problem. JUST KIDDING! I saw your other post where you were trying to decide which one to get, so thought I'd tease you about it.

Let us know what happens, and good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I'm connected now!!!! What worked was what cyanogen-man said to do. I powered off the Nexus. Unplugged the router, unplugged the modem and removed the modem backup battery, then put the battery back in the modem, power cord back in the modem, plugged the router in and waited for those devices to boot up. Then lastly I powered up the Nexus and it connected!

Now the bad thing is that I won't have the time to play with my new toy until Sunday (sigh). Looking forward to that!

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes the IP gets stalled out and it do sent re register a static IP so all you got to do is simply reboot it but bro you were going into the roughter firmware I was doing a simplifyed version first then get to the nitty gritty if it needed it

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes the IP gets stalled out and it do sent re register a static IP so all you got to do is simply reboot it but bro you were going into the roughter firmware I was doing a simplifyed version first then get to the nitty gritty if it needed it
Agreed! That's why my first paragraph said to do what you recommended. But thanks for the explanation of the IP getting stalled out as to why a router reboot could fix the problem. OP got it fixed, so that's the important thing.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
yes it is :) WE HOPE YOUR ENJOYING YOUR NEW NEXUS !!!!!!!!! now if only i could get my hands on that device :) working fast food means i'm broke i need a new job been there on and off for 4 years dont make more than 7.95 an hour and no over time sigh

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
yes it is :) WE HOPE YOUR ENJOYING YOUR NEW NEXUS !!!!!!!!! now if only i could get my hands on that device :) working fast food means i'm broke i need a new job been there on and off for 4 years dont make more than 7.95 an hour and no over time sigh

Move to San Jose, California. The new minimum wage there is $10, just passed by voters. Of course, you'll need to have 10 roommates in order to afford a decent place to live. Silicon Valley area ain't cheap, unlike the Nexus 7!

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am enjoyed my new Nexus very much! I made the right decision. I *almost* bought a iPad but I am very glad that I did not.

prikaza1

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I were bought sony XPERIA miro. and will not connect to my home wifi.I tip my pasword and it says "authentication problems" but buthe pasword is 100% good HELP ?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
(Edit: woops, just saw this was the N7 forum--but i'll leave it up still as an option for someone to try)

i had the same problem---and here's how I fixed it.
1) log into your Router (192.168.0.1)
2) find your DHCP settings page
3) find DHCP Clients, ADD New
4) enter your IP address (find this on N-10 advanced settings menu of your wifi connection option)
5) enter your MAC address (n10>settings>about tablet>status)
save. refresh. then your tablet should get blue bars :)

obviously this setup isn't exact, as all router homes are different--but that's how i fixed mine after 24 hours of thinking i'd have to return it & two routers believed to be the cause.

Last edited:

peachestherabbit

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
:(:'(I have a Samsung galaxy ace and am trying to connect it to my Internet before it used to easily but now it doesn't . I accidently clicked the forget button and when I reconnected it and typed my password it says obtaining ip address and then......connected and in a second...disconnected and my network name says disabled..please help me fix this problem cuz now my phone isn't connecting to anything please...:'(

madphantom6

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the lg doubleplay and i love it. The problem is that almost everything needs internet. I typed the password for my WiFi 6 times carefully but it keeps saying connecting then disconnected. I dont know what to do. And i dont know how to reboot the phone.

MCKilgore

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lenovo tablet and have a wireless modem I got from freedom pop.com I can connect my laptop with it but can't get my tablet to connect. Do you have any suggestions that can help me?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You may want to post your question as a new thread, either in a forum dedicated to your specific tablet (if there is one), or in the General Help & How-To forum.

Are you able to log into the FreedomPop modem's settings, just as you would with a router? If so, check the security settings, and first try turning all security off, to see if that's generally the problem. If you can connect without security, then turn security back on (since it's not recommended to have an unsecured network), but experiment with different settings.

Shikha Rajput

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
sorrry bt.... this too didn't workd.... i unpluggd modem router evrythng switchd off my fone.... do i neeed to press the reset button wich iz at the bck of the modem n router..?????? plz help me out..

Shikha Rajput

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Reboot and unplug the roughter and the modem. Plug them back in it will reset everything. Remove the wifi password and type it in again. If this do sent work you mite have a defective chip. Meaning it need to be replaced.

i did evrythng wat ol u said... bt it too didn't workd... do i need to press the reset button wich iz at the bck of modem n router..???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12