Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Nexus 7 rebooting on it's own since 4.2 update!

I'm so tired of my Nexus 7. This is my third device from Google play, and still having issues. The first two went back because of screen flicker. This third device has that, and the rebooting issue. Spent 30 mins with support today. They seemed to be aware that the reboot issue was software related. He had me do a reset (not through settings, but by holding both vol keys then the power button), which took me through a routine where it reset but I didn't have to reinstall the apps. Just had to put the GUI back to where I wanted it. So far so good on the reboot issue, but not holding out much hope on the screen flicker issue.

And get this... My first device was returned outside of the 15 day return period, at which time I was told that my 15 days starts over with a replacement device. So, knowing this, I got a replacement, and then another... However, this last techie informs me that because I missed the initial 15 day return, I cannot get a refund, but they will continue to replace devices if needed. Well guess what... It may end up being easier for them to just give me a refund, because I WILL keep returning these darn units until I get one that works properly.

Earlier today, I posted that I had installed HD Widgets after the update, and then started having issues with the rebooting. Today, I decided to uninstall that app to see if it made a difference. My N7 rebooted during the uninstall process. Twice.

I finally got it uninstalled and have not had a reboot since.

Does anyone else with the reboot issue have that app installed?

Well, I thought that the reset fixed the reboot issue, but it did not. It just happened again when I was browsing, using Chrome.

Any other ideas? I don't want to have to keep returning these devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hoosiermama2799 View Post
    <snip>

Yes! I should have read this before my last post. Going to uninstall. I'll report again tomorrow.

I looked at HD Widgets in the Play Store, and in comments, people are also mentioning the reboot issue. The developer says its an issue with the lockscreen widgets and that Google is aware. The developer also says that Google never tested the lock screen with third party widgets.
    Thanked by 3:
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Mine has rebooted itself twice. Coincidentally, both times were IMMEDIATELY after HD Widgets updated. I figured it was triggered by something in HD Widgets and didn't worry about it.

To those who have it happen when just sitting there, do you have HD Widgets installed and set to auto update?

Mine was rebooting once a day since updating to 4.2 so I did a factory data reset. The restore process is pretty painless and so far my tablet has been running 3 full days without a forced reboot.

Crap, I probably just jinxed myself.

Sent from a tablet on a crappy OS, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.
    Thanked by 2:

Yup, just read the info on XDA Dev. That's good to know. As soon as Google have this fixed, I'll be reinstalling HDW.

Thanks for info, h'mama.

updated to 4.2 no reboot problem.... installed hd widgets... no reboot problem. added hd widgets to lock screen... reboot problem occurs!!!! uninstalled hd widgets... reboot problem solved!!! will reinstall hd widgets when it gets fixed or 4.2 is updated to work with hd widgets... Thanks all for this thread.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    stock

A factory reset will NOT FIX random reboots. After resetting mine, I was reinstalling the apps from Google Play store. While reinstalling Real Racing the thing randomly rebooted. And frankly after a factory reset things dont seem much snappier. Sorry, 4.1.2 was a good upgrade, and 4.2 is absolute crap to me. Thanks for nothing Google.

I've been having problems with it rebooting while using the GPS on the road.. basically I use Waze as a GPS and it will reboot while in route.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Blechner View Post
    updated to 4.2 no reboot problem.... installed hd widgets... no reboot problem. added hd widgets to lock screen... reboot problem occurs!!!! uninstalled hd widgets... reboot problem solved!!! will reinstall hd widgets when it gets fixed or 4.2 is updated to work with hd widgets... Thanks all for this thread.
    HD Widgets was the culprit? I have it installed and on the lock screen but have yet to experience a reboot.

sent from RAZR HD MAXX

I have noticed at least one reboot and have HD Widgets installed. I will uninstall and see if it still happens. Thanks for posting this info everyone!

I get the occasional reboot too, though mostly when I'm transferring stuff via an OTG cable.

The previous version of the OS was solid as a rock, but 4.2 feels like it was rushed out the door with little testing (Missing months in apps, slower performance, etc) :/

I had about 5 reboots in one week.

Don't know if HD Widgets was or wasn't the culprit, because I just uninstalled and it rebooted itself again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I bought my nexus 7 a month ago and it was great.
    Then it was updated to 4.2 and the reboots started. Sometimes while browsing with chrome, sometimes while watching youtube.

I do have HD widgets installed, and added lock screen widgets.
    I tried the factory reset , and it didnt fix the problem ... (Maybe because I installed HD widgets again... I wish i knew before)

Now thanks to this thread at least I have a clue of what's going on.
    I'll try just removing the lock screen widgets, and if that doesn't work then I'll uninstall completely...

Mine reboots every few hours or so after the last OTA update. I uninstalled HD Widgets; keeping my fingers crossed.

Since I uninstalled HD Widgets I have not noticed a reboot. However I have been working and haven't been using my tablet heavily either. Keeping my fingers crossed that the issue was HD Widgets...

I tried keeping HD Widgets, but not having it on the lockscreen, but still got random reboots. After two days with it uninstalled, I've had no reboots. I'm not reinstalling it until I know the issue is fixed.

No reboots since removing HDW. Howevah... Have had random screen blackouts, like the power off button has been hit. It's happened three times in the last few days. *sigh*

I had been wondering if HD Widgets might have something to do with it. I used to use the widgets with WidgetLocker. Then after 4.2 I still used it without any issue until I decided to try out the multiuser login. I switched back to the original lock screen and still didn't have issues. Then after adding my old clock widgets and I started having the issues but it wasn't abrupt enough for me to notice it was that exactly. I'm just going to go back to WidgetLocker. The multiuser login was sort of useless for us since all the games were purchased under my account and all our music was tied to my account.

After experiencing random reboots since 4.2 and several months of ever-slowing, laggy performance, I did a factory reset.

I don't understand all the whining about this procedure -- it's painless and relatively quick, with all of your apps automatically reinstalling.

Anyway, it's fixed everything. No more reboots, and once again my N7 is buttery smooth and lightning fast.

Luvzmobile

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoosiermama2799 View Post
    Earlier today, I posted that I had installed HD Widgets after the update, and then started having issues with the rebooting. Today, I decided to uninstall that app to see if it made a difference. My N7 rebooted during the uninstall process. Twice.

I finally got it uninstalled and have not had a reboot since.

Same here.. rebooted while removing but no reboots since!
    Galaxy S5
    Sony Smartwatch 2
    Nexus 10

I am not alone! Going to uninstall HD widgets and see if that helps. Battery Widget Reborn just updated on my N 7 and it rebooted right after ... the joy!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast