Nexus 7 rebooting on it's own since 4.2 update!

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
So, i've posted this in another thread, and I guess no one saw it.
Aside from the apps crashing and screen flicker...
Ever since I updated to 4.2 my N7 has been randomly rebooting itself.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Does anyone have any possible solutions?

NegativePressure

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (from Google Play Store)-- has rebooted three or four times in the three days since I got the OTA-- twice in the middle of phone conversations.

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've had that problem too. It randomly reboots just usually after a day of use. My nexus also sometimes freezes when switching apps and when I go to the home screen the keyboard doesn't go away.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

meno73

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow, every 20-30 seconds? Mine only reboots every hour or so.

Holy Sh*t I thought mine rebooting 3-5 time a day was alot... I hope they(google) straighten this out soon between the lag and reboots I'm back to my Xoom on the 4.1.2 JB

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry Retzlaff

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I want to reiterate there's a general 4.2 problem.

I updated my 1 month old Nexus 7 to 4.2 on Saturday. It's a nightmare. It took my favourite device to something I would happily heave through the window to get rid of it. Previously rock solid WIFI hotspots now only connect intermittently, and drop off after a couple seconds, the music player has developed a stutter if you're doing ANYTHING else with the device, it turns itself off randomly, and it's DEADLY slow and choppy now. NOTHING on the device other than the update has changed.

How can I go back to 4.1??

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I still don't know how to get back to 4.1.2, but that's okay because I genuinely LOVE 4.2.
What I did is completely reset it.
It was horrible and took forever, it was suck a pain, but my N7 has not rebooted in the two days since.
I know it's not something that anyone wants to do, but it may be worth it.

bobrapp

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I manually updated our 3 N7s (8,16 and 32) and have not had any issues! We could not be happier as the tablets are much more snappy.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine just rebooted on its own.
Had it sitting on the desk near me, while watching TV.
I was not even using it at the time.
I looked up, and saw the Nexus logo on the screen.
I then realized it rebooted on its own.
Not sure what could have caused it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine reboots on its own too. All the time, especially when it is idle. The music gets lower when I turn a equalizer app on, the screen flickers and separates sometimes, with a line going through it. I've already rebooted and restarted it at least 4 times since the update.

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I still don't know how to get back to 4.1.2, but that's okay because I genuinely LOVE 4.2.
What I did is completely reset it.
It was horrible and took forever, it was suck a pain, but my N7 has not rebooted in the two days since.
I know it's not something that anyone wants to do, but it may be worth it.

Mine just rebooted on its own. I noticed that HD widgets was updating for the millionth time ever since 4.2 WS rolled out. I hit up the play store and that's when it rebooted.

I'm not gonna reset . I already did once and it was a total pain. I'll sell this thing and just get an iPad mini before going thru that again. Google really screwed up this time with 4.2.

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had 4 or 5 reboots since 4.2. It did it once while idle and charging. I just happened to be walking by and looked at it...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine just rebooted on its own. I noticed that HD widgets was updating for the millionth time ever since 4.2 WS rolled out. I hit up the play store and that's when it rebooted.

I'm not gonna reset . I already did once and it was a total pain. I'll sell this thing and just get an iPad mini before going thru that again. Google really screwed up this time with 4.2.

That seems WAY extreme, but if you want to let Apple gouge you out of $329... :cool:

psyke45

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For any of you folks with random reboots, does wiping the cache partition help?

I haven't tried with the Nexus 7, but I just updated my yakju Gnex to 4.2 with the OTA update package. Prior to updating, I did a factory reset, then a partition cache wipe, then abd'd the OTA, then did the first two steps again, just to be sure :D. But while playing around with it (at the time I was on the home screen), it spontaneously rebooted too. The N7 has done it 2-3 times since getting the update last week. Not sure what's triggering it. Hopefully this is something that they are aware of and will be fixed ASAP.