Nexus 7 rebooting on it's own since 4.2 update!

andrecr16

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought my nexus 7 a month ago and it was great.
Then it was updated to 4.2 and the reboots started. Sometimes while browsing with chrome, sometimes while watching youtube.

I do have HD widgets installed, and added lock screen widgets.
I tried the factory reset , and it didnt fix the problem ... (Maybe because I installed HD widgets again... I wish i knew before)

Now thanks to this thread at least I have a clue of what's going on.
I'll try just removing the lock screen widgets, and if that doesn't work then I'll uninstall completely...

muiriddin

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Since I uninstalled HD Widgets I have not noticed a reboot. However I have been working and haven't been using my tablet heavily either. Keeping my fingers crossed that the issue was HD Widgets...

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried keeping HD Widgets, but not having it on the lockscreen, but still got random reboots. After two days with it uninstalled, I've had no reboots. I'm not reinstalling it until I know the issue is fixed.

Purplelinny

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No reboots since removing HDW. Howevah... Have had random screen blackouts, like the power off button has been hit. It's happened three times in the last few days. *sigh*

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Clint Mayer

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had been wondering if HD Widgets might have something to do with it. I used to use the widgets with WidgetLocker. Then after 4.2 I still used it without any issue until I decided to try out the multiuser login. I switched back to the original lock screen and still didn't have issues. Then after adding my old clock widgets and I started having the issues but it wasn't abrupt enough for me to notice it was that exactly. I'm just going to go back to WidgetLocker. The multiuser login was sort of useless for us since all the games were purchased under my account and all our music was tied to my account.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
After experiencing random reboots since 4.2 and several months of ever-slowing, laggy performance, I did a factory reset.

I don't understand all the whining about this procedure -- it's painless and relatively quick, with all of your apps automatically reinstalling.

Anyway, it's fixed everything. No more reboots, and once again my N7 is buttery smooth and lightning fast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Earlier today, I posted that I had installed HD Widgets after the update, and then started having issues with the rebooting. Today, I decided to uninstall that app to see if it made a difference. My N7 rebooted during the uninstall process. Twice.

I finally got it uninstalled and have not had a reboot since.

Does anyone else with the reboot issue have that app installed?

Same here.. rebooted while removing but no reboots since!

colemas

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I am not alone! Going to uninstall HD widgets and see if that helps. Battery Widget Reborn just updated on my N 7 and it rebooted right after ... the joy!

iHelpYouShy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled HDwidgets a few days ago and mine hasn't rebooted since. I used to have reboots twice a day, sometimes even more.
If HDwidgets didn't solve your reboot problem, its probably another app you have installed.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled HDwidgets a few days ago and mine hasn't rebooted since. I used to have reboots twice a day, sometimes even more.
If HDwidgets didn't solve your reboot problem, its probably another app you have installed.

HD Widgets INSISTS it is not their app causing the reboot problems.
:confused:

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
HD Widgets INSISTS it is not their app causing the reboot problems.
:confused:

Maybe so but if you have to un-install an app to stop a tablet from rebooting then it really doesn't matter who's at fault. I like HD widgets but I won't miss it if it makes my tablet reboot.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

estoeckl

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to start up my Nexus 7, at first it rebooted on the load screen after pressing down for 30 seconds and now I can't even get that screen. Any advice. Judging by the amount of issues this tablet has I'm beginning to regret my decision back in August.
Edit: Got the nexus 7 lighting up, a beep, but then blackscreen

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe so but if you have to un-install an app to stop a tablet from rebooting then it really doesn't matter who's at fault. I like HD widgets but I won't miss it if it makes my tablet reboot.

I uninstalled HD Widgets for a few days and still had reboots. Last time it was while in the play store.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
That stinks guys. . Since I removed hd widgets there hasn't been one reboot for me. Maybe there is another app causing this issue. Hopefully the reports keep coming in and we can figure this out.

barclay james

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
This all sounds similar to my issues.
Tablet fine until 4.2 then when its off it will switch itself on and when locked will light up to the lock screen repeatedly.
It also bombs out of apps to lock itself.
Its not an app I removed them all.
Its not WiFi
I even unlocked. Routed. Flash recovery and installed glazed and after 3 hours it started again.
As glazed 2.1 is based on 4.2.1 I think its definatly 4.2.1
I'm going to try and flash stock 4.1.1 but I'm not holding out much hope.
Google shouldn't release an update that's screws your tablet up.
They should test it properly

Can anyone one with this issue change your screen timeout to 30 mins and tell me if it makes any difference ?
Thanks
Barks

Last edited:

lenwink

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Mine reboots after I plug it in to charge! Doesn't happen to my wife's Nexus 7 at all. Mine is rooted & unlocked; hers is stock. Anybody stock having reboots?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordNikonX