• 1 Post By MJKearney
  • 1 Post By jrwatson
  • 1 Post By carracerz14
  • 1 Post By jrwatson
  • 1 Post By rswain64
  • 1 Post By jrwatson
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My homemade keyboard dock station - $17 B-]

So I decided to get a keyboard for my Nexus 7 and i didn't want to blow $80 for a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. I spotted this $12 USB keyboard that looked pretty small/clean/simple so I picked it up.

Well, I got home and had an epiphany! -> Keyboard Box Docking Station!

Features:
    Secure stand
    Built-in hole allowing for a USB OTG cable to hook up to a USB splitter
    Small enough to fit into my backpack
    Keyboard case!

So yes, you are seeing a USB hub there being gangbanged by 3 USB devices (mouse/keyboard/flash drive) and they ALL WORK!

Today was a major step up for me and my Nexus 7!

(See attached for pics)

EDIT:
    Added a mouse holder on the outside and a USB hub holder on the inside (see my post further in this thread for the pics!

Nothing better than a $17 docking station that carries all your with ya wherever you need to go comfortably. Feels good to create something all on your own too.

Feel free to post your own little hacks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My homemade keyboard dock station -  B-]-uploadfromtaptalk1353146801949.jpg   My homemade keyboard dock station -  B-]-uploadfromtaptalk1353146816050.jpg   My homemade keyboard dock station -  B-]-uploadfromtaptalk1353146829362.jpg  
    Last edited by JustinMueller8810; 11-18-2012 at 01:06 AM.
    Caldera and BaMaDuDe87 like this.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

Default Re: My homemade keyboard dock station - $12 B-]

Maybe your next major step should be a desk, or a bed, or some shelves. In those pictures it looks like you just keep everything on the floor?

As an aside, how is the experience of using a mouse with the tablet?

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX
    Live2ride883 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    Maybe your next major step should be a desk, or a bed, or some shelves. In those pictures it looks like you just keep everything on the floor?

As an aside, how is the experience of using a mouse with the tablet?

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX
    haha yeah i currently live in a small apartment in Korea and i kind of like sitting on the floor. The mouse works flawlessly with the tablet, just plug and play!

Fancy!

My understanding is that you can't charge the N7 through the USB hub. With everything attached, does the battery drain significantly more quickly?

Very MacGyver, I like it . Just FYI though, if you want something much more portable for when you're outside the house (that way you can leave your set up as is in your apt, and not bother with moving it around all the time) I'd recommend a folding bluetooth keyboard.

I just got this thing: the Perixx 805 and I loove it. It's about 5.5 x 3.5 x .6" when folded up--it could easily fit in your back pocket. Though, amazon jacked up the price by $5 (in one day!). It looks to be exactly the same as the generic Ebay ones, except that the Ebay ones also include a folding tablet stand ().
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Just upped my McGyver status a bit with this project:
    Created a mouth holder on the outisde AND a USB holder on the inside.
    See attached pics for awesomeness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My homemade keyboard dock station -  B-]-uploadfromtaptalk1353214299160.jpg   My homemade keyboard dock station -  B-]-uploadfromtaptalk1353214315725.jpg   My homemade keyboard dock station -  B-]-uploadfromtaptalk1353214330257.jpg   My homemade keyboard dock station -  B-]-uploadfromtaptalk1353214343977.jpg  
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Very MacGyver, I like it . Just FYI though, if you want something much more portable for when you're outside the house (that way you can leave your set up as is in your apt, and not bother with moving it around all the time) I'd recommend a folding bluetooth keyboard.

I just got this thing: the Perixx 805 and I loove it. It's about 5.5 x 3.5 x .6" when folded up--it could easily fit in your back pocket. Though, amazon jacked up the price by $5 (in one day!). It looks to be exactly the same as the generic Ebay ones, except that the Ebay ones also include a folding tablet stand ().
    My project here cost me $17 bucks and it still fits nicely in my bag. How much was the bluetooth keyboard?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Aaaaaand Landscape mode option is available as well:
    Attachment 47141
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My homemade keyboard dock station -  B-]-dock-station-landscape.jpg  
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    Fancy!

My understanding is that you can't charge the N7 through the USB hub. With everything attached, does the battery drain significantly more quickly?
    Correct.
    This is exactly my next problem to solve. It does seem to drain quicker. Do you know if they sell SPLITTERS for the Nexus 7 input attachment thingy (micro USB?) (standard phone female end splitting into 2 female ends)? That would solve my problem.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: My homemade keyboard dock station - $17 B-]

I call bs. There is no way you live in Korea, you live in some redneck town in pennsyltucky with that setup... All you need is some duct tape...

Jokes aside nice little getup

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Arctic HD

All I see is a box with a cut out for the nexus... Where's the dock?

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

that actually looks awesome and i wish i saw that before getting a USB keyboard, but hey for $12 it does what i need it to do. however having the ability to charge while simultaniously typing with that bluetooth keyboard is something i envy.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
    All I see is a box with a cut out for the nexus... Where's the dock?

it docks my nexus 7 and one of the pictures shows a hole i cut into the box for the USB OTG cable which then splits off into 4 USB's allowing me to use my a) mouse b) keyboard c) camera and d) flash drive all at the same time while my NExus 7 has the option of docking vertically or horizontally.
    All for $17 and a little creative work.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Meh.

Live2ride883 likes this.

ROM
    Stock, Paranoid, CM10

Ha, good stuff. I'll remember this thread the next time I'm tempted to buy an overpriced accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinMueller8810 View Post
    My project here cost me $17 bucks and it still fits nicely in my bag. How much was the bluetooth keyboard?
    My bag is kinda small, and I try to travel as light as possible since I do a lot of walking around. My freshman year I used to carry around a 17" laptop and deadweight charger--plus textbooks and notebooks. It was absolute murder lol. I had back-to-back classes a mile apart, it was probably the most exercise I ever got. Since then I vowed to travel as light as humanly possible.

You can find that specific bluetooth keyboard for around $30 on ebay; it's hard to find foldable keyboards for much cheaper, so all things considered it's reasonably priced. I'm all about resourcefulness though lol. My last keyboard was a USB keyboard case, which didn't hold the device securely so I superglued a TPU case inside (here). Keyboard case was $8, TPU case was $5. I only stopped using it because my OTG cable started having issues and would disconnect at the slightest movement.

For anyone with external keyboards, especially if you have leftover Play credit, I would highly recommend the . When you select it as your keyboard, you can assign functions to certain keys--so my F1/2 are brightness adjusters, F3-5 are volume, F12 opens Hovernote, etc. Very useful .
    Thanked by:
    JustinMueller8810 likes this.

So I'm sitting in my recliner watching redneck island and viewing this setup. I think they go hand in hand!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Correct.
    This is exactly my next problem to solve. It does seem to drain quicker. Do you know if they sell SPLITTERS for the Nexus 7 input attachment thingy (micro USB?) (standard phone female end splitting into 2 female ends)? That would solve my problem.
    OTG switches the connectors so the power runs out not in. So there can't be an adapter that would apply power to the tablet and to the accessories at the same time.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by rswain64 View Post
    So I'm sitting in my recliner watching redneck island and viewing this setup. I think they go hand in hand!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    and proud of it
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

My bag is kinda small, and I try to travel as light as possible since I do a lot of walking around. My freshman year I used to carry around a 17" laptop and deadweight charger--plus textbooks and notebooks. It was absolute murder lol. I had back-to-back classes a mile apart, it was probably the most exercise I ever got. Since then I vowed to travel as light as humanly possible.

You can find that specific bluetooth keyboard for around $30 on ebay; it's hard to find foldable keyboards for much cheaper, so all things considered it's reasonably priced. I'm all about resourcefulness though lol. My last keyboard was a USB keyboard case, which didn't hold the device securely so I superglued a TPU case inside (here). Keyboard case was $8, TPU case was $5. I only stopped using it because my OTG cable started having issues and would disconnect at the slightest movement.
    Isn't that keyboard/case combo too small to type on O,O
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

For anyone with external keyboards, especially if you have leftover Play credit, I would highly recommend the . When you select it as your keyboard, you can assign functions to certain keys--so my F1/2 are brightness adjusters, F3-5 are volume, F12 opens Hovernote, etc. Very useful .
    Ok so this sounds awesome, but I have been attempting to get my keyboard set up with this this for like 20 minutes and I still don't understand how to set up things such as Brightness up or Brightness down etc etc.
    PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

Ok so this sounds awesome, but I have been attempting to get my keyboard set up with this this for like 20 minutes and I still don't understand how to set up things such as Brightness up or Brightness down etc etc.
    PLEASE HELP! THANKS!
    Yeahh it's pretty confusing and totally unintuitive, it took me forever to figure it out. Here's their 'getting started':

To assign features to certain keystrokes (e.g. brightness, volume), go into Advanced Settings > Customize Keyboard Mappings > Add New Keyboard Mapping
    1. Where it says 'Scancode', press the key you want to have the function. It'll automatically enter its scancode (whatever that is lol)
    2. Press the checkmark next to Keycode; it'll change the type of mapping you're doing. You should now see a drop-down menu with different features, like brightness up/down
    (just a note--certain functions don't work, probably because of the device itself and not the app--for example, I can't get the volume mute to work, but vol up and vol down work just fine).
    screenshot:

Here's their link for how to to app shortcuts:
    Basically, go to Advanced Settings > Application Shortcuts
    1. You'll see a blank list, ranging from A0-AF. Click on any one of them and assign an app to it.
    screenshot:

2. Go back out and head to Advanced Settings > Customize Keyboard Mappings > Add New Keyboard Mapping; this time, you'll use the other type of mapping
    3. Like you did before, press the key you want to have the feature assigned to; its scancode will show up.
    4. Do NOT press the checkmark by keycode. You should now see the options: "Normal", "Shift", etc; this is how you assign what happens to the key when it's just normal, when it's pressed in combination with "shift", etc.
    5. Next to each, enter the letter/number next to the application shortcut you chose. So for me, next to "Normal", I'd enter A0 for Hovernote. If I wanted that key to open Chrome when combined with shift, I'd enter A1 next to "shift". Once you enter the combination, it'll automatically change it to "0x24"etc, and you should see the symbol for the app next to it.
    screenshot:

Hope that clarifies some things. and lol yeah, the 8"x3" keyboard was tiny as hell. But I got used to it, and was actually able to type relatively fast on it. But I'm glad I can finally retire it :P.
    Thanked by:
    JustinMueller8810 likes this.