Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Global Posts
    1,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Is it me or 4.2 kinda sucks

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    What I don't understand is why the updates are pushed so aggressively.
    If you don't want immediate updates for your device, DON'T BUY A NEXUS PRODUCT!!! (carrier-sold Galaxy Nexuses excepted) The whole point of buying a Nexus is to get the updates hot from the oven, not 4 months to a year later after they've been skinned and bloatwared. If Google didn't push them out lickity split, people would about not being told new hotness was available. You just can't satisfy everyone.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    Thanked by 2:
    bp3dots and DogPsyche like this.

Man, I am so with you on this. Utter disaster after installing 4.2 - Apps hang, camera won't load, Titanium Backup stuck on "asking for root rights" and the list goes on. If I can figure out a way to go back to 4.1 I'm going there. Never been an early adopter, I guess. Grrr.

And on the other side of the coin, there are all those people complaining about how long it takes Google to get updates out to us, moaning about not getting the OTA update during the first hour. Google just can't seem to do anything right, eh? Just a bit ironic.
    Thanked by 2:
    bacalao, arcoms, Drayk and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterygirl View Post
    I have no problems with 4.2. I also think people fail to understand that broken apps occur with EVERY new Android OS update. There's nothing new about apps not working immediately after an update. The apps are generally updated by the developers to be compatible with the OS. In some cases this happens in a matter of hours or days. In other cases, it takes longer. Bottom line is that apps no longer working is not indicative of a bad OS. Beyond that, it is par for the course with a "nexus" device, i.e., you will be at the bleeding edge of exciting new things, along with the problems or inconveniences that those new things bring.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    "Understanding" the problem doesn't FIX the problem. The point here is that this update screwed up the user experience for anyone with certain popular apps. Who cares what the reason is--the fact is the N7 is at the mercy of these essentially forced updates from Google. When something doesn't work, it matters little to me if it's Google's fault, or someone elses. I just want the frickin' tablet to work like it should. No excuses. No explanations about why it's broke.
    Samsung Note 2 and Gear 2

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I honestly don't understand half the comments here.. After just loading the 4.2 factory image on my device it is as fast as it's ever been, not having any errors whatsoever. And I'm not being a blind fanboy about it, lol, those of you who know me know I keep it real and am honest about things I see. Vast majority of complaints I'm seeing has to do with apps that need to be updated. Android 4.2 may not look like a big upgrade over 4.1.2 superficially but a ton of things have changed under the hood and competent developers need to update their apps swiftly.

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    2def--love your work. However, for me 4.2 (Not OTA) has broken ability to do Nandroid Backups. Neither Wugs, nor TWRP , nor CWM. They create the backup file name but then do not write anything to the file. says things like E: Failed. Unable to find Android Secure Partition. Stuck for now.
    This is due to the repartitioning of the sdcard (just one of the changes I alluded to above) to accommodate the multi-user option. The custom recoveries need to be updated to properly recognize the sdcard the way it is partitioned now. Koush has said CWM was a huge pain but I believe he has started rolling out new recoveries for at least the Nexus devices. I myself have the latest TWRP flashed (version 2.3.2.1, available here: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.3 - Nexus 7 | TeamWin), and created a backup just now to test and it appears to have gone just fine -- actually in record time too. (see pic attached)

To those who have root issues, you probably need to reroot, using SuperSU version .98, which was specifically updated for 4.2. Standard SuperUser has been causing problems for many people since the update. Use the TWRP recovery I linked to, then flash this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/SuperSU-v0.98.zip
    And you will be rooted again
    Is it me or 4.2 kinda sucks-2012-11-17-22.18.00.jpg
    Thanked by:
    lpt2569 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

You could use another mobile OS (cough.. iOS) which hasn't substantially changed in years, or you can use an OS like Android which evolves at an amazing pace and is always getting new, exciting features.. the only "drawback" being that when the underlying code is changed a lot, some apps need to be properly updated to play nice with it. I'll take the system that's constantly innovating and challenging the field rather than the one sitting in stagnation.
    Thanked by:

Apps have nothing to do with the sloppy looking lock screen. What the heck was Google thinking, having the outline of the widget area displaying momentarily?? It looks like a GLITCH, rather than a well thought out feature, IMO. And the swype-like keyboard?? HA! I can't stand it, in comparison to the real Swype. Think of Google maps vs Apple maps. One is decent and one sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    "Understanding" the problem doesn't FIX the problem. The point here is that this update screwed up the user experience for anyone with certain popular apps. Who cares what the reason is--the fact is the N7 is at the mercy of these essentially forced updates from Google. When something doesn't work, it matters little to me if it's Google's fault, or someone elses. I just want the frickin' tablet to work like it should. No excuses. No explanations about why it's broke.
    Yes, everyone wants and deserves a great user experience. But the reality is that this is a nexus device, which means you get software essentially meant for the developer community to test, develop, etc. I understand the frustration of those who are experiencing slow downs, reboots, etc, but broken apps is a different story. For one, most will likely be fixed in the coming days and weeks and secondly, that's just the reality of what happens with a new update and particularly a nexus device. Nexus devices aren't meant for everyone, and for those who prefer to have updates tested by carriers, manufacturers who skin them, and others before they receive it, then there are plenty of options available. Being at the cutting edge, however, involves the tradeoff of things being still partially beta.

I fully appreciate your frustration, especially for non-app specific problems. But at the same time, I do think we have to temper frustration with an understanding of what nexus devices are and are not...both the good and the bad of that. The challenge for Google is the growing appeal of these devices for the average consumer, who rightfully will have less tolerance for beta software, which seems to be at the heart of nexus.

In the meantime, for those having problems with apps, reach out to developers to let them know there are issues so that they can start the process of fixing whatever is broken.

1812dave and Eduardo06sp like this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Apps have nothing to do with the sloppy looking lock screen. What the heck was Google thinking, having the outline of the widget area displaying momentarily?? It looks like a GLITCH, rather than a well thought out feature, IMO. And the swype-like keyboard?? HA! I can't stand it, in comparison to the real Swype. Think of Google maps vs Apple maps. One is decent and one sucks.
    Well to be fair those are just your opinions, which you are entitled to, but you shouldn't mistake them for actual faults. I happen to really like the lockscreen and widgets ability there, and I've never been a fan of the stock keyboard, I always use Swiftkey anyway. So to me there are still no issues with 4.2 at all.
    Thanked by 2:

of course I'm simply offering my personal opinions. it's not like I'm claiming I'm "right" or an expert. I simply don't find 4.2 appealing, on any level.

Quote Originally Posted by flux capacitor View Post
    4.2 is a pig. I don't like it at all.
    Obviously, to each his own opionion. But having a couple issues with a widget hardly seems to make the OS a pig.

HD widgets seems to be having lots of problems with the update. For example on the lock screen the stock time widget takes over, deleting the HD widget one that I'd rather have. This has happened several times
    Are you sure it's been removed? When I added the HD weather widget to the lock screen, it put it a couple 'pages' to the left at the back of the line. Scrolled to the left to find it, grabbed/moved it to the right just as I would any ap on the home home screen.

Also when I wake up you can see the edge of one of the widget windows.
    Other's are complaining about it, and we all see it. I think it's just one of those cosmetic design things that some people really hate, and others simply couldn't care about.

Well it really sucked for me.
    The auto brightness flicker is very annoying and needs to be fixed immediately.
    Also I had to reset my N7 because it would randomly reboot itself, that was such a pain and it took forever to get things back how I had them before.
    It seems that reseting it worked, it hasn't rebooted all day.

The people app has a bug. December Is missing. See engadget article

Sent from my Nexus 7

My main problem is that I no longer get notifications with my STORY games.

Sent from my ICS DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

My Nexus 7 has done a forced restart and starts lagging when it never lagged before, such as when going into the multitasking mode.

for me, 4.2 more than "kinda sucks". too many issues to make it worth the PALTRY additional, for-me-useless new features. I wish I had 4.1.2 back.
    Similar sentiment here. I'm staying on 4.1.2 (rooted) as it works very well for me and I just don't see any justifiable reason at this point to move forward with 4.2 (newer is not always better IMO). So in the meantime, to get rid of the constant update notification for 4.2, I disabled OTA update notifications using this process (you have to be rooted): http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-all...-possible.html
    Thanked by:

A couple of my apps don't work but I'm not blaming this on 4.2. They just have to catch up to 4.2. My biggest issue since the update has been my wi-fi not connecting. I havent been able to connect for more than 30 minutes without dropping connection or wifi turn off automatically. Its getting annoying now.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by droid83 View Post
    A couple of my apps don't work but I'm not blaming this on 4.2. They just have to catch up to 4.2. My biggest issue since the update has been my wi-fi not connecting. I havent been able to connect for more than 30 minutes without dropping connection or wifi turn off automatically. Its getting annoying now.
    First I've heard of that.. Maybe try clearing your connection from wifi settings and re-adding it? Also check advanced settings and make sure "Keep wifi on during sleep" is set to "Always".
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Well, after reading all of these comments I realize that it could always be worse. I'm only having issues with a couple of apps but some of you guys are really hating 4.2. I had no idea.

The issues I have with 4.2 is my nexus sometimes shuts down. Also the screen will just go off while I'm using it and I have to press and hold the power button for 10 + and it boots up again. Is it just me or is it laggy again. What happened to project butter? Overall I like the new features except the lock screen widget. That sucks but I'm hoping 4.2.1 is not to far away to fix these issues.

Unless anyone as found a fix for the above issues. I wish I had stayed on 4.1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by jackkelly96 View Post
    My Nexus 7 has done a forced restart and starts lagging when it never lagged before, such as when going into the multitasking mode.
    That's exactly what mines doing.... Google should really sort this out soon !

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Similar sentiment here. I'm staying on 4.1.2 (rooted) as it works very well for me and I just don't see any justifiable reason at this point to move forward with 4.2 (newer is not always better IMO). So in the meantime, to get rid of the constant update notification for 4.2, I disabled OTA update notifications using this process (you have to be rooted): http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-all...-possible.html
    Thanks! My previous solution was to freeze google services framework using titanium backup which is not an ideal solution. Since a number of things were suggested in the thread you linked to, I will re-post the bit that seemed to work for me:

"Or a free alternative...

Autorun manager - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.rs.autorun

With the second, you need to select advanced mode, then in settings check 'show system entries' and then find Google services framework, and disable the one with 'system update receiver' in the name
    (you may need to refresh the list first) "
    Synycalwon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Thanks! My previous solution was to freeze google services framework using titanium backup which is not an ideal solution. Since a number of things were suggested in the thread you linked to, I will re-post the bit that seemed to work for me:

"Or a free alternative...

Autorun manager - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.rs.autorun

With the second, you need to select advanced mode, then in settings check 'show system entries' and then find Google services framework, and disable the one with 'system update receiver' in the name
    (you may need to refresh the list first) "
    Yup, that will work too. I decided to use Autostarts (costs $1.50) as it has a lot less permission requests and I needed an excuse to finally use some of that $25 I still have from when I got my Nexus 7 a couple months ago. Also, there is a similar post at XDA on disabling OTA's: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] Turn off OTA updates
    - Install Autostarts app.
    - Go to "After Startup"
    - Scroll down until you see "Google Services Framework"
    - There should be several of them. For me it was the third one. Touch it and read the bottom of the popup to find out. It will say "Receiver com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService. ....(you get the point)
    - Disable it. Done...

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    And on the other side of the coin, there are all those people complaining about how long it takes Google to get updates out to us, moaning about not getting the OTA update during the first hour. Google just can't seem to do anything right, eh? Just a bit ironic.
    Well I think anyone who peruses tech sites like AC knows that one of the main reasons why updates don't get released in a timely fashion on non-Nexus devices is because of the device maker or the carriers, not necessarily Google. Google releases the updates to the carrier or device makers, then they tweak the update or test the update to make sure it will work with their skinned device or network. That's where the fragmantation happens.

It's obviously frustrating when an update is released and people don't get it until 4-6 months later, maybe never!

My opinion is I had a smooth running tablet, and now after the update, I don't. I really don't want to de bug software updates. No one at Google saw any brightness changes on auto? Sure they did, and passed it on to me. Not happy overall.
    1812dave likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast