Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Default Re: Is it me or 4.2 kinda sucks

My only gripe with 4.2 is that my WiFi times out and becomes unusable until I turn it off then back on. It last anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes and goes out again while still indicating it is connected.

Is that only happening to me? WiFi is working fine on everything else in the house and was on the N7until the update.

Global Posts
    1,930 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    The people app has a bug. December Is missing. See engadget article

Sent from my Nexus 7
    I just read this....I'm in the market for a new tablet and am sitting on the fence btwn two tablets...(two completely different tabs)
    lol....Dec missing from the calendar is pretty big for me

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by bacalao View Post
    My only gripe with 4.2 is that my WiFi times out and becomes unusable until I turn it off then back on. It last anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes and goes out again while still indicating it is connected.

Is that only happening to me? WiFi is working fine on everything else in the house and was on the N7until the update.
    See above where I commented...

First I've heard of that.. Maybe try clearing your connection from wifi settings and re-adding it? Also check advanced settings and make sure "Keep wifi on during sleep" is set to "Always".
    My wifi is working just as it always has, has to be a setting or weird error you are missing..

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    I just read this....I'm in the market for a new tablet and am sitting on the fence btwn two tablets...(two completely different tabs)
    lol....Dec missing from the calendar is pretty big for me
    It is a silly bug.. it is however only missing from the People (contacts) app specifically, so if you were to try to edit a contact's details from your tablet and put their birthday as December, for example, you wouldn't be able to (you can still do it from your Google account on your computer, fwiw). The Calendar itself is not seeing this bug, nor is it effecting any other app that I'm aware of.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I think a good solution to this entire problem would be for Google to give a warning before applying any update that may not be 100% ready for prime time. Call it a bata release or what have you.

Also the system should be able to do a test of all installed apps to check compatibility similar to how Windows 8 does. All that would be required is for app developers to mark their apps as 4.2 ready (or whatever the current version is). This way if you wanted to do a system update you could just run a compatability check to see if there are any potential problems. If you see too many incompatible apps then you just wait until you are comfortable with doing the update.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    svimes likes this.

I agree that 4.2 isn't very good. The bugs are to be expected, but the arbitrary UI changes are another story. Could they really not think of any better way to implement settings in the notification bar? Was it really necessary to hide dev settings? Does it really make sense to force tablets to use phone UI? Who decided that a half bold clock was more attractive?

I understand the need for some major system changes for multiuser support, but the UI changes just seem arbitrary and poorly thought out and implemented.
    1812dave and jrwatson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bos1 View Post
    I agree that 4.2 isn't very good. The bugs are to be expected, but the arbitrary UI changes are another story. Could they really not think of any better way to implement settings in the notification bar? Was it really necessary to hide dev settings? Does it really make sense to force tablets to use phone UI? Who decided that a half bold clock was more attractive?

I understand the need for some major system changes for multiuser support, but the UI changes just seem arbitrary and poorly thought out and implemented.
    IMO, you hit the nail on the head with regard to the update giving us ARBITRARY UI changes. Do the programmers have nothing better to do? /rhetorical...
    Samsung Note 2 and Gear 2

Just a side note, I find the clock widget, which you can hold and remove from the lock screen, very attractive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Anyone know if we can wipe the cache partition from a recovery menu? On the RAZR Maxx, doing so often helped these kinds of problems after an update. Wiping the cache partition shouldn't erase any user data, so it's a safe procedure.

Whoops, never mind. I just saw another post saying that it's possible, and it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Anyone know if we can wipe the cache partition from a recovery menu? On the RAZR Maxx, doing so often helped these kinds of problems after an update. Wiping the cache partition shouldn't erase any user data, so it's a safe procedure.

Whoops, never mind. I just saw another post saying that it's possible, and it helps!

Can you post the link to that post on this thread please? Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bos1 View Post
    Who decided that a half bold clock was more attractive?
    I did find a way to get rid of the half-bold clock on the lock screen. Disable the new 4.2 stock Android "Clock" app. While you will lose the new stopwatch/timer features, there are plenty of other free apps out there that do the same thing (and probably do it better).

The main differences I notice, I don't like. The new clock, the lock screen widgets, and two pull-down notifications panels. Not an improvement for me, at least aesthetically.
    1812dave likes this.

Here is the link:

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/11/h...droid-4-2.html

The one trick is that when you see the Android with the red exclamation mark, then you need to press and hold the power button AND THEN tap the Volume Up button once. Then the options will appear. I first tried holding both buttons down for an extended time, which will cause a restart without cache wipe after about 5 seconds.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    bez54 

ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    2def--love your work. However, for me 4.2 (Not OTA) has broken ability to do Nandroid Backups. Neither Wugs, nor TWRP , nor CWM. They create the backup file name but then do not write anything to the file. says things like E: Failed. Unable to find Android Secure Partition. Stuck for now.
    This is due to the repartitioning of the sdcard (just one of the changes I alluded to above) to accommodate the multi-user option. The custom recoveries need to be updated to properly recognize the sdcard the way it is partitioned now. Koush has said CWM was a huge pain but I believe he has started rolling out new recoveries for at least the Nexus devices. I myself have the latest TWRP flashed (version 2.3.2.1, available here: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.3 - Nexus 7 | TeamWin), and created a backup just now to test and it appears to have gone just fine -- actually in record time too. (see pic attached)
    Hmmm. TWRP 2.3.2.1 is what I was using. Yeah I noticed the record time too. I went in and saw the backup file had been created----but it was empty! No wonder it completed in record time! That's when I went back and looked at the log and saw the failure notice. I guess I'll get into it deeper when I get back after TG.
    2def, Once again, thanks for all your work helping us out here on the forums. You have saved my buns several times and I know there must be lots of others, too.
    2defmouze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Here is the link:

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/11/h...droid-4-2.html

The one trick is that when you see the Android with the red exclamation mark, then you need to press and hold the power button AND THEN tap the Volume Up button once. Then the options will appear. I first tried holding both buttons down for an extended time, which will cause a restart without cache wipe after about 5 seconds.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums
    Thanks mate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Guzzi View Post
    Obviously, to each his own opionion. But having a couple issues with a widget hardly seems to make the OS a pig.

Are you sure it's been removed? When I added the HD weather widget to the lock screen, it put it a couple 'pages' to the left at the back of the line. Scrolled to the left to find it, grabbed/moved it to the right just as I would any ap on the home home screen.

Other's are complaining about it, and we all see it. I think it's just one of those cosmetic design things that some people really hate, and others simply couldn't care about.
    No, the HD widget I had setup non the lock screen gets deleted. Its not a matter of scrolling it.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Hmmm. TWRP 2.3.2.1 is what I was using. Yeah I noticed the record time too. I went in and saw the backup file had been created----but it was empty! No wonder it completed in record time! That's when I went back and looked at the log and saw the failure notice. I guess I'll get into it deeper when I get back after TG.
    2def, Once again, thanks for all your work helping us out here on the forums. You have saved my buns several times and I know there must be lots of others, too.
    Lol no problem bud... And yeah I've been using the backup that TWRP 2.3.2.1 created and it works flawlessly. I spent the night and this morning trying to build some pure AOSP systems to flash to my device, all of which failed, lol.. but the backup has restored without issue every time. You'll definitely want to check that again, maybe the recovery just didn't flash properly the first time.. try fastbooting the image if you used goomanager to flash it before. Doing things manually always produces better results

Global Posts
    1,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ohmslaw View Post
    My opinion is I had a smooth running tablet, and now after the update, I don't.
    This precisely. After the first day, my Nexus 7 has become dog slow. Taps sometimes take seconds to be responded to and it feels like an old product. Put it this way, I used to show it off to people who'd remark about how fast it was; now I won't dare because it is so laggy it looks like one of those $99 tablets you'd find at Big Lots or CVS. I'm not kidding.

And to the people who are giggling, "I'm not having any problems. U mad bro? lulz," aren't really helping things. People unhappy about the clock fonts are one thing, but when there are constant complaints of similar performance hits unrelated to apps needing updating, then something needs investigating and remediation. Simply going into your app drawer and swiping through pages shouldn't hiccup. Tapping the task switcher button shouldn't take a few seconds to pop up and show the thumbnails one by one. Put simply, Jelly Bean shouldn't feel like Ice Cream Sandwich and this is what has happened with my N7. 4.2 is a step back to 4.0 from 4.1.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    1812dave, ChromeJob and svimes like this.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    ROM
    cm nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatone3 View Post
    Amazon App store slightly broken for me in that I have to log in every single time I open the app. Pain in the ****!
    If you uninstall amazon app store and reinstall it, the issue is fixed. Also if you don't chic it'every time you log in it will register a new nexus and you will hit your 25 device limit and have to go to amazon.com to deregister some

Default Is it me or 4.2 kinda sucks

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    This precisely. After the first day, my Nexus 7 has become dog slow. Taps sometimes take seconds to be responded to and it feels like an old product. Put it this way, I used to show it off to people who'd remark about how fast it was; now I won't dare because it is so laggy it looks like one of those $99 tablets you'd find at Big Lots or CVS. I'm not kidding.

And to the people who are giggling, "I'm not having any problems. U mad bro? lulz," aren't really helping things. People unhappy about the clock fonts are one thing, but when there are constant complaints of similar performance hits unrelated to apps needing updating, then something needs investigating and remediation. Simply going into your app drawer and swiping through pages shouldn't hiccup. Tapping the task switcher button shouldn't take a few seconds to pop up and show the thumbnails one by one. Put simply, Jelly Bean shouldn't feel like Ice Cream Sandwich and this is what has happened with my N7. 4.2 is a step back to 4.0 from 4.1.
    A factory reset after the update on my Nexus 7 fixed the lag issues for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Well.. I'm not giggling or belittling anyone with complaints, I'm trying to understand the complaints, and separate them into those with genuine issues and those who just don't like something, or those that are related to apps which need their developers to update them properly. I'm not going to change anyone's mind if they don't like the cosmetic changes in Android 4.2. I happen to like them, and that's that as far as I'm concerned.

In terms of your slow down and lag you say specifically:
    Simply going into your app drawer and swiping through pages shouldn't hiccup. Tapping the task switcher button shouldn't take a few seconds to pop up and show the thumbnails one by one. Put simply, Jelly Bean shouldn't feel like Ice Cream Sandwich and this is what has happened with my N7. 4.2 is a step back to 4.0 from 4.1
    Where I think this is without question an overgeneralized statement, as my device is performing perfectly and I think 4.2 is a beautiful upgrade. I'm not saying "too bad for you, deal with it".. I have no reason to not believe you, but clearly if we have one tablet running great and one getting laggy, we can't just say the OS is crap. More likely the one lagging needs troubleshooting. Would you agree?

Now as I mentioned, I installed 4.2 manually by fastbooting the factory images, whereas most others probably took the OTA. The main difference is I started 4.2 on a completely clean slate.. my tablet was wiped on many levels by my method. Seeing as how the partitions have been redesigned in 4.2 and all the other under-the-hood changes, I can imagine that the migration of data and upgrade process could potentially leave some bad data or "ghosts in the machine" that would contribute to slowing performance, reboots, etc. That's just a theory, it could also be some apps you have installed that, even if functioning, are causing you more harm than you realize if they haven't been updated for 4.2 yet. This is a very real and possible answer as well.

I know not everyone wants to do a factory reset, but it's the first thing I would recommend to clear up your issues. It will allow the system to start fresh, wipe the sd partition and everything else, and get rid of whatever bad data is causing your issues. Do I think it's cool that you should have to do that? No, I understand that can be a huge pain for some people, but again, I'm just trying to troubleshoot. I'm not jumping to defend Google.. if the upgrade indeed caused a performance drop for devices coming from 4.1.2, then that's something they should have planned for better. But it is what it is.. so you can either deal and try some things to fix it, or you can carry on with your problematic device. The only point I am making regarding 4.2 is that the OS itself is as smooth as ever and I haven't noticed a single bug since I installed it yesterday, and I've been fiddling with my tablet a lot in the last 24 hours.
    cdf3 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If a factory wipe is going to be required to have a properly functioning device, then they need to stop calling it an update and call it a nuke from orbit. I had the NO_DATA update for my GS2 result in atrocious battery life and performance and whacked it, fixing things, but I wasn't happy about the hassle.

It's just such a PITMFA to blow away all your stuff and start fresh. I know there are people who flash ROMs daily, but they aren't using their phones - they're gadget nerds playing around with their toys. (These are the clowns who claim to reload Windows monthly for best performance. I ran my last PC for four years on it's OG load of WinXP and it was fine until it was retired.) Most people simply want their stuff to work and having to start from scratch is BS.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    1812dave likes this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

If a factory wipe is going to be required to have a properly functioning device, then they need to stop calling it an update and call it a nuke from orbit. I had the NO_DATA update for my GS2 result in atrocious battery life and performance and whacked it, fixing things, but I wasn't happy about the hassle.

It's just such a PITMFA to blow away all your stuff and start fresh. I know there are people who flash ROMs daily, but they aren't using their phones - they're gadget nerds playing around with their toys. (These are the clowns who claim to reload Windows monthly for best performance. I ran my last PC for four years on it's OG load of WinXP and it was fine until it was retired.) Most people simply want their stuff to work and having to start from scratch is BS.
    Yes, its a pain, as I said, I get it. 4.2 was a more significant reorganization of the OS, the system and data partitions than the average user realizes, and if that is causing a lot of the issues then it's a shame Google could not better prepare the upgrade to avoid that happening. But at this juncture you have your tablet and you can either do a factory reset, which others are pointing out did fix their problems, or you could not do one and just live with it. I think the choice is clear, although I completely understand it's far from ideal.

I don't have any beef with 4.2, but I use a lot of apps that rarely ever get updated--even for 4.1.2. Some of them I absolutely need to use, so updating to 4.2 would kill functionality for me.

Haven't updated yet, but it just seems absolutely pointless for me to; if it ain't broke, I don't need to 'fix' it :P. I reaallly wish I had the option of disabling those announcements, or at least having a "remind me in 7 days" feature; it comes every half hour and freezes my apps. I might end up rooting my device to stop them.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    I don't have any beef with 4.2, but I use a lot of apps that rarely ever get updated--even for 4.1.2. Some of them I absolutely need to use, so updating to 4.2 would kill functionality for me.

Haven't updated yet, but it just seems absolutely pointless for me to; if it ain't broke, I don't need to 'fix' it :P. I reaallly wish I had the option of disabling those announcements, or at least having a "remind me in 7 days" feature; it comes every half hour and freezes my apps. I might end up rooting my device to stop them.
    That can be done.. you can find great guides in the rooting subforum. Keep in mind that to root you need to unlock the bootloader though, and unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe the device (you only need to do it one time though). If you decide to take that plunge there's plenty of info available in that section
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast