Is it me or 4.2 kinda sucks

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
What is the general consensus of if Flash will operate on 4.2 as it did on 4.1.2 when we could side load it ?

You can still side load it.. jury is out on how well it works. Some people say it works fine with certain browsers, some say not at all. Just bear in mind that it's on its way out and the more any of us use it while it's no longer supported, the more unstable you should expect it will become, not to mention a security risk as well.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have no problems with 4.2. I also think people fail to understand that broken apps occur with EVERY new Android OS update. There's nothing new about apps not working immediately after an update. The apps are generally updated by the developers to be compatible with the OS. In some cases this happens in a matter of hours or days. In other cases, it takes longer. Bottom line is that apps no longer working is not indicative of a bad OS. Beyond that, it is par for the course with a "nexus" device, i.e., you will be at the bleeding edge of exciting new things, along with the problems or inconveniences that those new things bring.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Besides issues with apps which need to be updated by their developers (which has nothing to do with the OS), what specific issues is anyone seeing with 4.2 itself? I just installed it factory fresh on my N7 (was running ROMs before so I had to manually do this because I was bored, lol) and I'm not seeing a single issue with the OS.
2def--love your work. However, for me 4.2 (Not OTA) has broken ability to do Nandroid Backups. Neither Wugs, nor TWRP , nor CWM. They create the backup file name but then do not write anything to the file. says things like E: Failed. Unable to find Android Secure Partition. Stuck for now.

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I think 4.2 was pushed out prematurely for the launch of the N4/10. I'm getting lag where there was no lag before, app compatibility issues, market glitches, decreased battery life, etc. I'm thinking about rolling back to a 4.1.2 rom until things get sorted out.

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
4.2 is a pig. I don't like it at all. HD widgets seems to be having lots of problems with the update. For example on the lock screen the stock time widget takes over, deleting the HD widget one that I'd rather have. This has happened several times. Also when I wake up you can see the edge of one of the widget windows.

Speaking of widgets I had some issue where ALL my widgets disappeared, asking me touch to reload or something. Never had this issue before.

I also feel the transitions swiping from screen to screen seems laggy.

Sorry, but I regret upgrading. Gonna hold off updating my system from now on until it becomes safe. I dont see any advantage in upgrading to 4.2 right now.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What I don't understand is why the updates are pushed so aggressively.
If you don't want immediate updates for your device, DON'T BUY A NEXUS PRODUCT!!! (carrier-sold Galaxy Nexuses excepted) The whole point of buying a Nexus is to get the updates hot from the oven, not 4 months to a year later after they've been skinned and bloatwared. If Google didn't push them out lickity split, people would about not being told new hotness was available. You just can't satisfy everyone.

lookinin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
:-X Man, I am so with you on this. Utter disaster after installing 4.2 - Apps hang, camera won't load, Titanium Backup stuck on "asking for root rights" and the list goes on. If I can figure out a way to go back to 4.1 I'm going there. Never been an early adopter, I guess. Grrr.:-\

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
And on the other side of the coin, there are all those people complaining about how long it takes Google to get updates out to us, moaning about not getting the OTA update during the first hour. Google just can't seem to do anything right, eh? Just a bit ironic.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have no problems with 4.2. I also think people fail to understand that broken apps occur with EVERY new Android OS update. There's nothing new about apps not working immediately after an update. The apps are generally updated by the developers to be compatible with the OS. In some cases this happens in a matter of hours or days. In other cases, it takes longer. Bottom line is that apps no longer working is not indicative of a bad OS. Beyond that, it is par for the course with a "nexus" device, i.e., you will be at the bleeding edge of exciting new things, along with the problems or inconveniences that those new things bring.

"Understanding" the problem doesn't FIX the problem. The point here is that this update screwed up the user experience for anyone with certain popular apps. Who cares what the reason is--the fact is the N7 is at the mercy of these essentially forced updates from Google. When something doesn't work, it matters little to me if it's Google's fault, or someone elses. I just want the frickin' tablet to work like it should. No excuses. No explanations about why it's broke.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't understand half the comments here.. After just loading the 4.2 factory image on my device it is as fast as it's ever been, not having any errors whatsoever. And I'm not being a blind fanboy about it, lol, those of you who know me know I keep it real and am honest about things I see. Vast majority of complaints I'm seeing has to do with apps that need to be updated. Android 4.2 may not look like a big upgrade over 4.1.2 superficially but a ton of things have changed under the hood and competent developers need to update their apps swiftly.

2def--love your work. However, for me 4.2 (Not OTA) has broken ability to do Nandroid Backups. Neither Wugs, nor TWRP , nor CWM. They create the backup file name but then do not write anything to the file. says things like E: Failed. Unable to find Android Secure Partition. Stuck for now.

This is due to the repartitioning of the sdcard (just one of the changes I alluded to above) to accommodate the multi-user option. The custom recoveries need to be updated to properly recognize the sdcard the way it is partitioned now. Koush has said CWM was a huge pain but I believe he has started rolling out new recoveries for at least the Nexus devices. I myself have the latest TWRP flashed (version 2.3.2.1, available here: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.3 - Nexus 7 | TeamWin), and created a backup just now to test and it appears to have gone just fine -- actually in record time too. (see pic attached)

To those who have root issues, you probably need to reroot, using SuperSU version .98, which was specifically updated for 4.2. Standard SuperUser has been causing problems for many people since the update. Use the TWRP recovery I linked to, then flash this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/SuperSU-v0.98.zip
And you will be rooted again :)
2012-11-17 22.18.00.jpg

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You could use another mobile OS (cough.. iOS) which hasn't substantially changed in years, or you can use an OS like Android which evolves at an amazing pace and is always getting new, exciting features.. the only "drawback" being that when the underlying code is changed a lot, some apps need to be properly updated to play nice with it. I'll take the system that's constantly innovating and challenging the field rather than the one sitting in stagnation.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Apps have nothing to do with the sloppy looking lock screen. What the heck was Google thinking, having the outline of the widget area displaying momentarily?? It looks like a GLITCH, rather than a well thought out feature, IMO. And the swype-like keyboard?? HA! I can't stand it, in comparison to the real Swype. Think of Google maps vs Apple maps. One is decent and one sucks. :)

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
"Understanding" the problem doesn't FIX the problem. The point here is that this update screwed up the user experience for anyone with certain popular apps. Who cares what the reason is--the fact is the N7 is at the mercy of these essentially forced updates from Google. When something doesn't work, it matters little to me if it's Google's fault, or someone elses. I just want the frickin' tablet to work like it should. No excuses. No explanations about why it's broke.

Yes, everyone wants and deserves a great user experience. But the reality is that this is a nexus device, which means you get software essentially meant for the developer community to test, develop, etc. I understand the frustration of those who are experiencing slow downs, reboots, etc, but broken apps is a different story. For one, most will likely be fixed in the coming days and weeks and secondly, that's just the reality of what happens with a new update and particularly a nexus device. Nexus devices aren't meant for everyone, and for those who prefer to have updates tested by carriers, manufacturers who skin them, and others before they receive it, then there are plenty of options available. Being at the cutting edge, however, involves the tradeoff of things being still partially beta.

I fully appreciate your frustration, especially for non-app specific problems. But at the same time, I do think we have to temper frustration with an understanding of what nexus devices are and are not...both the good and the bad of that. The challenge for Google is the growing appeal of these devices for the average consumer, who rightfully will have less tolerance for beta software, which seems to be at the heart of nexus.

In the meantime, for those having problems with apps, reach out to developers to let them know there are issues so that they can start the process of fixing whatever is broken.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Apps have nothing to do with the sloppy looking lock screen. What the heck was Google thinking, having the outline of the widget area displaying momentarily?? It looks like a GLITCH, rather than a well thought out feature, IMO. And the swype-like keyboard?? HA! I can't stand it, in comparison to the real Swype. Think of Google maps vs Apple maps. One is decent and one sucks. :)

Well to be fair those are just your opinions, which you are entitled to, but you shouldn't mistake them for actual faults. I happen to really like the lockscreen and widgets ability there, and I've never been a fan of the stock keyboard, I always use Swiftkey anyway. So to me there are still no issues with 4.2 at all.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
of course I'm simply offering my personal opinions. it's not like I'm claiming I'm "right" or an expert. I simply don't find 4.2 appealing, on any level. :)

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
4.2 is a pig. I don't like it at all.
Obviously, to each his own opionion. But having a couple issues with a widget hardly seems to make the OS a pig.

HD widgets seems to be having lots of problems with the update. For example on the lock screen the stock time widget takes over, deleting the HD widget one that I'd rather have. This has happened several times
Are you sure it's been removed? When I added the HD weather widget to the lock screen, it put it a couple 'pages' to the left at the back of the line. Scrolled to the left to find it, grabbed/moved it to the right just as I would any ap on the home home screen.

Also when I wake up you can see the edge of one of the widget windows.
Other's are complaining about it, and we all see it. I think it's just one of those cosmetic design things that some people really hate, and others simply couldn't care about.

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Well it really sucked for me.
The auto brightness flicker is very annoying and needs to be fixed immediately.
Also I had to reset my N7 because it would randomly reboot itself, that was such a pain and it took forever to get things back how I had them before.
It seems that reseting it worked, it hasn't rebooted all day.

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My main problem is that I no longer get notifications with my STORY games.

Sent from my ICS DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar