Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it me or 4.2 kinda sucks

After this update , so far I've found 3 of my apps that dont work anymore: Document viewer, Kobo and Norton mobile. What gives? Am I the only one having these issues? Uninstalling and reinstalling the apps doesn't fix it. Any ideas?
    UpsidedownB likes this.

Default Re: Is it me or 4.2 kinda sucks

Android 4.2 doesnt suck. the 3 apps does suck.
    you should know the difference between whats Android and whats not.
    Thanked by:
    arcoms 

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by monzon5755 View Post
    After this update , so far I've found 3 of my apps that dont work anymore: Document viewer, Kobo and Norton mobile. What gives? Am I the only one having these issues? Uninstalling and reinstalling the apps doesn't fix it. Any ideas?
    Apps need to be updated for 4.2.. its not the os.
    Privacy is overrated :P
    pceasar and Pandu Dryad like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Android 4.2 doesnt suck. the 3 apps does suck.
    you should know the difference between whats Android and whats not.
    First of all it's: The 3 apps DO suck. Learn your grammar. Second, of course I know that these are third party apps. My point, which you're completely missing, is that they were working just fine before the update. I'm asking for ideas or suggestions. Don't be in such a hurry to attack me while defending Google.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Irvgotti View Post
    Apps need to be updated for 4.2.. its not the os.
    OK, but I could've swore that Kobo just updated to be good with 4.2. Hopefully it's only for a couple of days.

This is one of the downfalls of being on the bleeding edge of Android, unfortunately.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA
    Thanked by:

for me, 4.2 more than "kinda sucks". too many issues to make it worth the PALTRY additional, for-me-useless new features. I wish I had 4.1.2 back.
    Samsung Note 2
    Synycalwon and Caldera like this.

Got my Nexus 7 the day it was released in the UK and got in configured just right, yesterday I get a Pop up from Google offering a OS update to Jellybean 4.2 which I accepted. The device was updated and shows the current OS version as Android Version 4.2 / Build No JOP40C.

Now apps like BBC I player and TV Catchup will not work, in the Google Playstore these apps report that my device is not compatible, Now two days ago I had these both working on the OS that came loaded on my Nexus 7. I got those apps working by following the install instructions with apk etc. Now following the same procedures these apps show as Not Compatible.

So is Jellybean 4.2 unable to run flash using the usual install routines or is it the apps that need updating to the latest OS ? pretty sick it was all working then now its not ! Any help appreciated !

I really don't have any issues with it. I just got an update today for HD Widgets and they have already included a couple of nice clock and weather widgets for the lockscreen. Firefox didn't work but the beta is already out in the Play store. Just give developers a few days to update their apps and all will be right again...

I think we all have to be a bit more patient (which I realize is tough for techie fans like all of us). This happens all the time--a new OS comes out, and some apps are found to be incompatible. As long as those apps' developers are still around and interested in marketing their apps, they'll be updated, most likely sooner rather than later. App incompatibility isn't a problem with the update--it's just part of progress.
    Thanked by:
    arcoms 

What I don't understand is why the updates are pushed so aggressively. The only way I've found to avoid the constant nagging about the update is to freeze the google services framework. When I bought a nexus, I knew I would get updates for an extended period of time. I did not know that I was obligated to accept them however.

Although it's been a slow and fragmented process, I think Google, as well as any other OS maker like Microsoft, would prefer as many people as possible to adopt the latest OS iteration. Ideally, this means fewer people on outdated OS's (this is where everyone laughs), more devs working on apps for the new OS, and room for the OS maker to continue innovating for the next version.

I read somewhere that only like 1.2% of all Android phones are actually running Jellybean.

Sent from my MetroPCS GalaxyS3 consistently getting around 7-8mpbs down... contracts and data limits need not apply.

Amazon App store slightly broken for me in that I have to log in every single time I open the app. Pain in the ****!
    Thanked by:
    ZachA 
    nexususer99 and djdan like this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Besides issues with apps which need to be updated by their developers (which has nothing to do with the OS), what specific issues is anyone seeing with 4.2 itself? I just installed it factory fresh on my N7 (was running ROMs before so I had to manually do this because I was bored, lol) and I'm not seeing a single issue with the OS.
    arcoms likes this.

ROM
    Viper(HTC)One

What 2def said right now its all about developers updating their apps with android 4.2 that's it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Documentary's and Educational Videos you think everyone should see.
    (Last Updated June,2,2013)
    Thread Retired
    Current Android Devices:HTC one,2013 Nexus 7
    Past Android Devices:Xperia Play,Droid Pro,2012 Nexus 7
    Thanked by:

Well, I think it's a little more than obvious applications won't work right after an update. In my opinion, Google should release new versions of Android earlier than we get it. This way, we won't have problems regarding compatibility. Also, I hope the OP learns that he shouldn't update so soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

My nexus 7 randomly reboots, it freezes quite often and the keyboard sometimes doesn't go away when I press the home button. All happening after getting the 4.2 update. Oh and battery life really sucks now. Takes almost 8 hours to charge.

I have found my AnywhereMap aviation GPS app does not work, my bluetooth headsets are intermittent and unusable, and i don't like the new look on the opening screen. I am considering rooting my Nexus 7 so I can get back to 4.1.2. I'm sorry, but this should have been released to the 3rd party app developers and beta testers long before it was force fed in production to the devices. I have been a big Android supporter, but this release sucks! Please Google, next time be a little more cautious.

What is the general consensus of if Flash will operate on 4.2 as it did on 4.1.2 when we could side load it ?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by mintjamman View Post
    What is the general consensus of if Flash will operate on 4.2 as it did on 4.1.2 when we could side load it ?
    You can still side load it.. jury is out on how well it works. Some people say it works fine with certain browsers, some say not at all. Just bear in mind that it's on its way out and the more any of us use it while it's no longer supported, the more unstable you should expect it will become, not to mention a security risk as well.

I have no problems with 4.2. I also think people fail to understand that broken apps occur with EVERY new Android OS update. There's nothing new about apps not working immediately after an update. The apps are generally updated by the developers to be compatible with the OS. In some cases this happens in a matter of hours or days. In other cases, it takes longer. Bottom line is that apps no longer working is not indicative of a bad OS. Beyond that, it is par for the course with a "nexus" device, i.e., you will be at the bleeding edge of exciting new things, along with the problems or inconveniences that those new things bring.

Pandu Dryad likes this.

ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Besides issues with apps which need to be updated by their developers (which has nothing to do with the OS), what specific issues is anyone seeing with 4.2 itself? I just installed it factory fresh on my N7 (was running ROMs before so I had to manually do this because I was bored, lol) and I'm not seeing a single issue with the OS.
    2def--love your work. However, for me 4.2 (Not OTA) has broken ability to do Nandroid Backups. Neither Wugs, nor TWRP , nor CWM. They create the backup file name but then do not write anything to the file. says things like E: Failed. Unable to find Android Secure Partition. Stuck for now.

ROM
    Stock, Paranoid, CM10

I think 4.2 was pushed out prematurely for the launch of the N4/10. I'm getting lag where there was no lag before, app compatibility issues, market glitches, decreased battery life, etc. I'm thinking about rolling back to a 4.1.2 rom until things get sorted out.

ROM
    stock

4.2 is a pig. I don't like it at all. HD widgets seems to be having lots of problems with the update. For example on the lock screen the stock time widget takes over, deleting the HD widget one that I'd rather have. This has happened several times. Also when I wake up you can see the edge of one of the widget windows.

Speaking of widgets I had some issue where ALL my widgets disappeared, asking me touch to reload or something. Never had this issue before.

I also feel the transitions swiping from screen to screen seems laggy.

Sorry, but I regret upgrading. Gonna hold off updating my system from now on until it becomes safe. I dont see any advantage in upgrading to 4.2 right now.

1812dave likes this.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast