Is The Nexus 7 For Me? I need large(ish) storage

mbc0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I REALLY do want to get a Nexus 7 (3G Version when it becomes available again) as I would love to carry around my large(ish) music collection

My mission is to have access to all my music whilst being able to charge the device and access the internet via 3G or wifi or both :)

I have spent way too much money trying to take my media library around with me (approx 160GB) specifically! for Poweramp as I spend often weeks away from home with work, here is a list of what I have done so far & I really think that what I am trying to do is impossible unless I have either missed something out or am not clever enough!

I am going to buy a Nexus 7 32GB 3G soon & thought I would be able to stream my music using google music but realise that there is a 20,000 song limit to this and also Poweramp cannot stream from there anyway! So I thought I would plug in a Mini 128GB USB Combined with the on-board 32GB only to realize I wouldn't be able to charge the device at the same time!

1, Bought an Archos 80 250GB as I thought this would be the answer to all my problems but it is only compatible with Gonemad Music Player or the standard Archos player which is completely featureless and boring. Unfortunately the Archos continuously skips & stutters when using Poweramp

2, Bought a 256GB SSD Samsung 7mm drive for the Archos, although quite an improvement on the skipping it is still very much there....

3, Bought a GoFlex Wireless drive but didn't realize I could not have 3G & Wireless on at the same time so lose internet connection, so another brick wall!

Thought about a Bluetooth Hard Drive but they don't seem to exist lol....

So if anyone can offer any thoughts I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks for reading....

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Instead of using google music, you might want to look at running your own music server like subsonic for example. I think it can work with poweramp although it works better with its own android client, either the official one or dsub (which is what I use).

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I believe you can buy an OTG cable and connect a USB drive to that.
But he also wants to charge the N7 at the same time. Can't do that with an OTG cable attached.

Anyway, you seem to have put a lot of limits on yourself. If I understand your post, you obviously don't like the Google Music app (don't blame you), and 20,000 songs in the cloud isn't enough for you (amazing, but to each his own). Plus, you want to be able to power your N7 while streaming through an OTG cable (no can do), and seem to insist on using PowerAmp as your media player. I'd suggest buying storage on some other cloud service like Dropbox and download (not stream) the songs you want as needed, or become a little more flexible. The N7 is great, but it does have its limitations.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I was going to suggest the Kingston Wi-Drive/Seagate GoFlex, but it seems they won't work for you. You could try combining an OTG cable and something that splits with 2 USB ports; idk if it would work, but it's worth a try. Though, it's a lot more cumbersome and a lot less elegant to weigh down a portable device with a bunch of wires and cables at all times, if you intend to access your media at all times.

Just a word of advice--it doesn't hurt to get rid of what you don't need, on your tablet at least. Of the 40,000 songs you have, I'm almost positive there are tons you would never, ever, ever, ever get around to listening to unless they randomly came up on shuffle.
There are probably songs you haven't listened to in a good 5 years; albums where you only really liked one or two songs; albums you only have bc they were cheap/free; a genre you're not interested in anymore; maybe some random podcasts you've already listened to; random samplers with 50 songs you never liked anyway; etc. You always have the option to re-load if you ever change your mind about something.

I have about 40GB of songs on a hard drive, but I downsized to 6GB of stuff I actually listen to consistently; a lot of bulk came from albums where I only liked a few songs; not to mention, half my songs are stuff I listened to in high school that I have no interest in anymore (but keep on my hard drive, for memory's sake I guess). Honestly, I think your best bet is using Play, unless you want to get tangled with wires. I'm positive you could downsize 40K to 20K songs you'll really listen to. You could keep your core stuff on Play, and have everything else on that flash drive. When you need to charge, just listen to Play stuff; any other time, access your flash drive.

Last edited:

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

trying to take my media library around with me (approx 160GB) specifically!

what I would do:
1) Get a MicroUSB to USB OTG adapter (they come in various sizes from 35mm adapter-only to 5" cables)
like =====>>[ eBay = Right Angle Micro 5pin USB Male To USB 2.O Female OTG Adapter ]
2) Get a small microSD USB adapter and as many microSD cards as needed
like =====>>[ Amazon = elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader ]
3) root my Nexus 7 and use stickmount to integrate the external USB drive with the internal storage and apps

Done !! except you will need to disconnect to charge, but whats the big deal ? N7 fully charges in about 2.5 - 3 hours w/ 2.1 wall charger and you can play the internal 32GB while it is charging.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
3) root my Nexus 7 and use stickmount to integrate the external USB drive with the internal storage and apps

I would avoid making any plans which depend on stickmount as it is currently not working with 4.2 and the dev seems a little prickly about its prospects of being updated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress