4.2 lagging fixed

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey thanks to the person who posted the tip on how to fix the lagging problem in 4.2. It was basically to go into the built-in recovery utility and clear the device cache. I did that and my tablet's speed and smoothness is back. I had mainly noticed a lag when changing from landscape to horizontal or vice versa. Since the update it had been taking an average of six seconds to rotate. But now it's back to about two seconds to rotate. Her was the post with the recommendation:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2341252

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I thought this was an advanced technique, but it worked, and all my data is intact. Thanks a lot man.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Nuuq

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I get to the point when there is android with red mark, but then volume up + power taskes tablet just to power on... Cant get clear cache option. What am I doing wrong?

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I get to the point when there is android with red mark, but then volume up + power taskes tablet just to power on... Cant get clear cache option. What am I doing wrong?

Try only pressing volume up as and power, not holding it down.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Press and hold power, then tap volume up once. When you release volume up, you'll see the options appear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Nuuq

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks elvis and diddy, that did the trick. Did't actusly have much lag problems, but for some time now wanted to clear cache completely. Thanks...

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Turn off sync and what not. Here is Google's official guide to battery saving.

Thanks for the info but I shouldn't have to do any of that. The battery life on my device was absolutely incredible before the 4.2 update. I'm gonna wait for Google to fix the issue and continue to use my device as I always have been. No way am I turning off sync or anything else to save battery life.

Turbojoe

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow, there's a whole lot easier way to clear cache. After doing the recovery method as described I stumbled on this as I was looking through settings: Go to Settings-Storage-Cached data. It will ask you if you want to clear cached data for all apps. I don't have a lot of stuff on my N7 but there was 210mb of cached data AFTER clearing the hard way. After clearing it my way it dropped to under 2mb. Took all of about 8 seconds to do this. No jumping through hoops with all the re-boot and recovery mode. Try it.....

Joe

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good find! I don't think that was possible with ICS. Does anyone know if this does the exact same thing as clearing the cache partition from the recovery menu?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow, there's a whole lot easier way to clear cache. After doing the recovery method as described I stumbled on this as I was looking through settings: Go to Settings-Storage-Cached data. It will ask you if you want to clear cached data for all apps. I don't have a lot of stuff on my N7 but there was 210mb of cached data AFTER clearing the hard way. After clearing it my way it dropped to under 2mb. Took all of about 8 seconds to do this. No jumping through hoops with all the re-boot and recovery mode. Try it.....

Joe

Not sure those are the same caches. There is also something called the dalvik cache in android and I was thinking that is the cache that gets cleared via recovery, not the app caches.

[edit]: And I think you can clear the dalvik cache using titanium backup if you are rooted.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I just cleared my cache, then tried the 'quick' way. I had already accumulated 333MB of cached data.

Last edited:

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Am having major lag problems since the 4.2 update like most people. Hopefully this fixes my baby up and brings back my melted butter, its not smooth anymore its just droopy..

Seems to have worked everything is running smooth so far, I also cleared all the apps' cache. The lockscreen was a huge culprit of lag and now even that works flawlessly, I actually like it now.. Now we just need more apps to update with lockscreen widgets.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isaac donald