App for streaming?

jpjgolden

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
When I stream from Dropbox or Nexus Media Importer, I can only stream a single file at a time. Is there an app that would let me stream several Mp3s, for example, or videos?

JP

Sonic Alpha

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure you can do that with external storage on the Nexus 7. Best bet would be to copy the content to your device, & then set up playlists & slideshows.

In the case of MP3s, you can save yourself some storage and stream direct from Google, if your country supports that. You can upload 20000 of your own tracks, and stream them through any Android device, or even on your computer through a web browser.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I want to be able to move from photo to photo and create a playlist for a selection of Mp3s.

JP

You CAN do that but it does take some extra work ahead of time. All you need to do is to combine the individual mp3/photos into a single file.

Before you dismiss this as absurd, or too much work, try out a completely free PC program called MergeMp3 as an example of how workable this is.

Merge MP3

It takes only seconds to combine 20 mp3s (an hour of music) into a single file of about 70 MB -- picking them out takes longer of course, heh.
The program from the link can be run from a USB stick and needs no installation.

I am sure you can find something equivalent for photos. The end result is a single file of any size you would like but I figured one hour of music was a pretty basic unit.You can then stream a chunk of music etc of any size you like rather than little bits.

jpjgolden

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, bigtroutz, for that nifty piece of software. It makes child's play of combining Mp3s. Someone mentioned earlier that I could append songs, but I dreaded that time-consuming chore. Apparently, what I want Nexus to do is beyond its capabilities and I'll have to find a workaround solution like MergeMp3.

JP

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you.........Apparently, what I want Nexus to do is beyond its capabilities and I'll have to find a workaround solution like MergeMp3.

JP

You are more than welcome. I was impressed with MergeMP3's speed but the interface is a little fractured in some ways, lol. I just abuse it --- works for me.

It is not impossible - it just requires that you ROOT the N7 and use stickmount instead of the kludge that is Nexus Media Importer. If you must have IT ALL, just go for it - I bet you wont find it that hard. I plan to root mine after I get a good feel for how it works with the standard ROM and OS.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
You can easily stream MP3 files by using the ES File Explorer application.

... downloading the application

1) Download ES File Explorer from the PlayStore
2) Open ES File Explorer

.. setting up the application
3) Menu > Show Tabs
4) Click on the "Net" tab in the upper right corner
5) Menu > Servers
6) Menu > New+
7) Choose DropBox from the list of servers listed

... selecting and playing your MP3 files
8) Navigate to the folder containing the MP3 files you would like to play
9) Click the "Select" button in the control panel. It will highlight green.
10) As you select each file, the name of each file will highlight to green.

... getting the files to play
11) Press any hold any one of the selected files, or Menu > Operations
12) Select "Music" from the list of choices that are given
13) Select "Play"
14) You can also add other songs to your "Now Playing" list by choosing "Add to playing" from step 13
15) The music player for ES File Explorer will appear in your status bar

Haven't found an app that will stream photos from Dropbox yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jpjgolden

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid Rooting the Nexus is beyond my skill level at the moment, but I'm really interested in your suggestion, cdf3. And your comprehensive instructions are appreciated, also. Thanks, again to both of you.

JP

jpjgolden

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
cdf3 ? I may have spoken too soon about your directions....

In Google Play, I found ES File Explorer File Manager and ES File Explorer (1.5 cupcake), but neither one had a Menu option. The screenshot held icons of folders, but I couldn't find Menu anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

JP

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
cdf3 ? I may have spoken too soon about your directions....

In Google Play, I found ES File Explorer File Manager and ES File Explorer (1.5 cupcake), but neither one had a Menu option. The screenshot held icons of folders, but I couldn't find Menu anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

JP

I use ES File Explorer Manager.
To get to the Menu, you have to click on the 3 dots in the lower right corner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12