Should I upgrade to 4.2?

DeviousMrMatt

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So after reading the forums about others having issues with 4.2 I. I wondering if I should upgrade to 4.2 or not. Every time I wake my Nexus 7 up it is asking me to do the update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
be prepared for flakiness if you do. I am not a happy camper, having upgraded mine. My wife's N7 is happily chugging along on 4.1.2 and she periodically says "no" to the update. wish I had done that...

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So after reading the forums about others having issues with 4.2 I. I wondering if I should upgrade to 4.2 or not. Every time I wake my Nexus 7 up it is asking me to do the update.

I've been quite happy. A few apps had trouble until they got updated, but it was pretty smooth sailing other than that. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Loving the new keyboard, but sad that they intentionally disabled photosphere just because it only has a front facing camera. Oh, well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
what do I know but for what it is worth, I would NOT.

app after app does not work correctly - pain in the butt trying to track down the fix, uninstall and reinstall new version. cleaning up the puke on the carpet

bah !! just wait a couple of weeks for the smell to die down, lol

rmeigs

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
4.2 works perfectly for me. No broken apps either. But if 4.1 is working for you, I'd not be in any hurry to change.

kwarner666

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I have 1 game that won't work on 4.2. Other than that everything is working smoother than before. Plus, I really love the new keyboard.
On all previous versions I had an issue with touches not registering. I would have to do a sleep/wake cycle. 4.2 has completely eliminated that.
I couldn't be more happy.

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
what do I know but for what it is worth, I would NOT.

app after app does not work correctly - pain in the butt trying to track down the fix, uninstall and reinstall new version. cleaning up the puke on the carpet

bah !! just wait a couple of weeks for the smell to die down, lol
If you're having problems with "app after app" - there's really nothing they can do in the OS for you. You'll either need to stay at 4.1.x forever, or eventually update your apps to deal with a newer OS.

ETA: 4.2 has been running fine for me.

quarky_uk

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Slight problem with the audio widget on the lock screen being a bit flaky but no problems apart from that.

I would upgrade.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If your device is already rooted, you can get rid of the updates. Otherwise, if you're really bothered by them, you might as well update. Me personally, I have some necessary apps that rarely get updated. Your sideloaded apps will be difficult to update (e.g. amazon appstore). I've heard some funky things happen with bluetooth, and it seems like you need to perform a reset to make your device work efficiently. I personally don't want the update, simply because I don't need it, and I enjoy my device as it is now. I know there are some nifty new features, but I don't need a spiffy stock keyboard, and I use Power Toggles for quick changes.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If you're having problems with "app after app" - there's really nothing they can do in the OS for you. You'll either need to stay at 4.1.x forever, or eventually update your apps to deal with a newer OS.

ETA: 4.2 has been running fine for me.
Well, yeh, there is something they can do for me -- they can fix the errors introduced in 4.2 Or do you think there are none ? Stupid things like running WiFi during sleep mode, failing to turn WIFI back on after resume from sleep, as well as the profoundly significant breaking of applications. This just confirms my opinion that Android is the wild wild west of OSs where anything goes.

And yes, we can hold off on upgrading until app devs have some time to respond to the deluge of newly reported errors in their apps which is my warning to those who ask if they should update.

Typically, I will wait for the 1st deluge of windows update to a new Win OS because we all have learned better over the years but accept minor updates as they are made.
Being a relative Android noob, I did NOT wait for what I thought was a minor update between 4.1 and 4.2 and found that 'minor update' had broken several of my most used apps as well as many minor annoyance errors.

Now I know that going from 4.1 to 4.2 is equivalent to a NEW VERSION of windows in its ragged bleeding edgedness, LOL

So, there you have it.....

Rindog

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I read many of the comments before updating and in fact I waited several days after the OTA notification popped up to update. During that time I saw a number of my apps being updated everyday. Most I believe were to be compatible with 4.2. After a few days I decided to bite the bullet and update. Really no problems for me, I did see the screen flicker with the brightness adjustment right after updating and it hasn't done it since. My bluetooth headphones work for music no problem, it has not done any of the things that some have experienced. I wonder how many that are having problems are rooted, mine is not, how many waited for OTA update or forced the update. Anyway, I guess it is how much trouble you consider tapping the not now for the update or move ahead to 4.2.

DeviousMrMatt

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the response. I'm thinking I'm going to wait a bit yet and stick with 4.1. I'm happy with the way everything works now.

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, yeh, there is something they can do for me -- they can fix the errors introduced in 4.2 Or do you think there are none ? Stupid things like running WiFi during sleep mode, failing to turn WIFI back on after resume from sleep, as well as the profoundly significant breaking of applications. This just confirms my opinion that Android is the wild wild west of OSs where anything goes.

And yes, we can hold off on upgrading until app devs have some time to respond to the deluge of newly reported errors in their apps which is my warning to those who ask if they should update.

Typically, I will wait for the 1st deluge of windows update to a new Win OS because we all have learned better over the years but accept minor updates as they are made.
Being a relative Android noob, I did NOT wait for what I thought was a minor update between 4.1 and 4.2 and found that 'minor update' had broken several of my most used apps as well as many minor annoyance errors.

Now I know that going from 4.1 to 4.2 is equivalent to a NEW VERSION of windows in its ragged bleeding edgedness, LOL

So, there you have it.....
How did the OS break your applications?

I'm not saying I don't think you've got problems, just trying to sort out how an application no longer working after a major update to an OS is the fault of the OS.

Time and time again, folks have pointed out that on the Nexus devices the releases are early - clearly too early for the application authors to be ready when it hits the fan. But it doesn't mean an OS is crap because they aren't ready yet. It only means they aren't ready yet.

Now the auto-brightness thing some folks are seeing, that seems to be a bug of a different color.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
How did the OS break your applications?

I'm not saying I don't think you've got problems, just trying to sort out how an application no longer working after a major update to an OS is the fault of the OS.

No idea how they did break the apps - I assume they changed some program API equivalents the App programmers were using. There are a myriad of ways that a program can be made to Crash-to-desktop and for you to expect a user to know such things is a little suspect, no ? All of the fixable apps needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled with new 4.2 or beta versions

So I assume you are ignoring the 4 pages of apps reported broken thread ?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-forum/224832-apps-broken-4-2-a.html

I am hardly alone in noticing that 4.2 wasn't entirely ready for prime-time.