New Buyer Worries @ Nexus 7

slow_mo_panda

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have spent the day researching the best device for my needs. Currently, the Nexus 7 has everything I could want, minus the HDMI output. However, some problems other users have had are giving me serious second thoughts. I am MOST concerned about the whole battery dying problem. From what I read, the problem is either with certain battery-saver apps, or the latest firmware. Does anyone know if as of this date, the problem has been fixed? I am wanting to purchase this tablet before the 'Black Friday' rush, and I need to know if this will be resolved or if it is an easy fix. Another worry of mine is that I read a LOT of ebooks, and I am buying this device partially because my current e-reader is a paperweight now. I use mainly .epub files, with some .mobi and some .pdf so I want to make sure I can read my ebooks before I buy also.
I am also wondering, since I am on a tight budget, does anyone know the cheapest site to order a new Nexus 7 and the accessories I want such as a keyboard and a nice cover/case for the tablet and keyboard?
Thanks for any advice!

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had no battery problems with 4.2. I'm probably in the majority because forum posts usually only talk about problems, not lack of problems, so it just seems like such problems are prevalent. That doesn't mean the problem doesn?t exist, just that you shouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Regarding ebook compatibility, there are lots of apps to handle that, but someone else might be able to give specifics. Or just search the forum more. I recall several posts about ebooks but never read them due to lack of interest.

I'd suggest buying an N7 from a local retailer with a good return policy. Try it out for a week, then if you don't like it, return it for a refund. Double check the policy with them before you leave the store. Prices are pretty much the same no matter where you buy it, unless a retailer has a store coupon that can be applied to the Nexus (many such coupons exclude electronics like the N7). As for accessories, that's another story. Shop around, but lots of people use Amazon and eBay. I'm not the best to ask since I've not purchased N7 specific accessories.

And lastly, don't let the useless hype about Black Friday cause you to hurry your decision. The N7 will be available for you before, during, and after it!

Oh, and lastly lastly, if you really do a lot of ebook reading, and that would be how you'd spend the majority of your time on the N7, perhaps, I shutter to say, the N7 isn't the right choice for you. It has good quality "tablet" battery life, not ebook reader battery life. And though the screen is good for reading, it's not optimized like an ebook reader. Just something to think about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Dont get too concerned about the battery. mostly the battery issue was because of people using the tablet for a while(mainly due to data) and upgrading.

since you will be getting the tablet new and upgrade it you wont have the issue. also factory reset seems to fix those issues.

there are lot of apps to read the format you mentioned for ebook.

the best way to buy is to go to a store. if you want to save money on tax. find a store which sells nexus 7, tax free and gives free shipping. I dont know if there is one.

slow_mo_panda

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, well, I kind of feel silly now, because I think I got this device mixed up with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2... I find that the Galaxy has more of the features I want, BUT I am still waiting to see if other users have any good/bad experiences with either of these Tablets, and also need to do more research tomorrow to see which would be best for my custom usage. I think I saw several of these kinds of devices on WalMart.com with free shipping, and a lot of stores are doing the free ship for the holiday sales... I really hope I can decide soon and grab a good sale deal on one before the Black Friday! :)
Here's a few links to the ones I am now comparing:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 2 WiFi 7-inch Tablet PC - Titanium Silver
Newegg.com - ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet 32GB - Brown
Newegg.com - ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T Tegra 3 32GB 10.1" IPS Tablet - Blue

redzapper

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Nexus 7 to be used primarily as:
- ereader (primarily epub and mobi)
- newsreader
- gaming
in that order and I am very happy with it. It is an excellent multi-function device and my ipad2 and Nook Simple Touch are now gathering dust.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, well, I kind of feel silly now, because I think I got this device mixed up with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2... I find that the Galaxy has more of the features I want, BUT I am still waiting to see if other users have any good/bad experiences with either of these Tablets, and also need to do more research tomorrow to see which would be best for my custom usage. I think I saw several of these kinds of devices on WalMart.com with free shipping, and a lot of stores are doing the free ship for the holiday sales... I really hope I can decide soon and grab a good sale deal on one before the Black Friday! :)

AFAIK, the other tablets you mentioned are still running ICS (older version of the Android Operating System) and the Nexus 7 is running JB 4.2 (the current version of Android), so you may want to take that into consideration.

The Nexus 7 is a Google Experience Device. It is supported directly by Google and will receive updates before the Galaxy Tab or the Transformer.

slow_mo_panda

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I had noticed that, but if the Nexus is lacking some features I need, and it cannot be fixed with a firmware update, I would want whichever one has the most features. Right now I am thinking the Samsung, as I do have a Samsung Android phone, and am very happy with it. But I will be consulting my Dad about this, he might have advice too.

visa01

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK, the other tablets you mentioned are still running ICS (older version of the Android Operating System) and the Nexus 7 is running JB 4.2 (the current version of Android), so you may want to take that into consideration.

The Nexus 7 is a Google Experience Device. It is supported directly by Google and will receive updates before the Galaxy Tab or the Transformer.

I believe the TF300 has received the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update. I've been researching that one for my brother. Office Depot will have it priced at $299 for Black Friday. We were going to get him a Nexus 7 instead, but he's a design student, so would benefit more from a bigger screen. But yeah, one of the reasons why I personally bought a Nexus 7 for myself was the Google Experience.

OP:
I like using ezPDFreader for my PDF files, especially now that they have the double page view mode, and I side load epub files to use with the Nook app. Though I don't use it as an ereader very often (mostly social networking and streaming videos), so I can't attest to its battery life when used mainly as an ereader. Maybe get a smart cover so that at least if you put the tablet down and close it, the screen will turn off and save battery?

Lukashenko

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have spent the day researching the best device for my needs. Currently, the Nexus 7 has everything I could want, minus the HDMI output. However, some problems other users have had are giving me serious second thoughts. I am MOST concerned about the whole battery dying problem. From what I read, the problem is either with certain battery-saver apps, or the latest firmware. Does anyone know if as of this date, the problem has been fixed? I am wanting to purchase this tablet before the 'Black Friday' rush, and I need to know if this will be resolved or if it is an easy fix. Another worry of mine is that I read a LOT of ebooks, and I am buying this device partially because my current e-reader is a paperweight now. I use mainly .epub files, with some .mobi and some .pdf so I want to make sure I can read my ebooks before I buy also.
I am also wondering, since I am on a tight budget, does anyone know the cheapest site to order a new Nexus 7 and the accessories I want such as a keyboard and a nice cover/case for the tablet and keyboard?
Thanks for any advice!

I am also worried about certain issues people are having with their nexus 7. Like the screen lifting issue or the device's touchscreen becoming unresponsive. So i am not sure anymore about buying it. It seems like a great tablet and i have read the reviews and they all said good things about it. Should i still get it? Or should i just go with another tablet instead?

saves

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I favor newegg most of the time, but for the n7 I went Walmart. Our local Walmart was out of them so I ordered it on their site on a Sat night and it arrived on Wed. Free shipping (google play charges ship) and they have an option for a 2 year warranty for $19 (for 16gb, $28 for 32gb) which covers accidental damage due to spills, cracked screens etc. I got it, I figure even if its a hassle filling out forms or mailing it back, its broken so whatever. Walmart says if they do not carry the item anymore or something similar they will refund the price + tax to a gift card. Sounds good to me.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
battery problems? I have two n sevens here. Neither 1 has any trouble with the battery

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I talked with the tech guy at staples the other day because I was having some problems with my nexus (which are gone due to the 4.2 update) and he told me the biggest quality issue with the Nexus 7s is the charging port failing... Not sure if Thats what you're hearing with the battery issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dude_hdt

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up my first tablet, N7, today. Agonized for the last 3 weeks of deciding between this or Samsung Galaxy 2.0.

Left side of screen is slightly raised...left is flushed with frame while right is maybe 1/4 mm below. If it weren't for my readings here I'd never know it.

This unit just got delivered to local Office Depot in the last couple of days so 4.2 out of the box. Guess I won't know what all of the complaints with new JB is all about. Was going to buy from Fry's and was told a week ago to expect new stock on 11/17 but when I went there, was told that Fry's has decided to not carry Nexus anymore?!?!?

So far happy owner!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was going to buy from Fry's and was told a week ago to expect new stock on 11/17 but when I went there, was told that Fry's has decided to not carry Nexus anymore?!?!?

I always noticed that Fry's never really promoted the Nexus 7. It was always just lying there inconspicuously among all of the other cheapo Chinese piece of craplets from Coby or Maylong or whatnot. Maybe they felt that they could get a better profit from selling those junkpads to the unsuspecting consumer.

dude_hdt

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When I was there, noticed employees pushing Samsung tablets. Can't help but wonder if nudging from somewhere to remove competition from Samsung by dropping Nexus. Just "conspiracy" theory:)

slow_mo_panda

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I asked about the warranty plans at the WM store and the sales lady said it would be $30 for any of the tablets they had over $200... Also, she would NOT do any price-matches for anything sold online. I wanted to try and get the price-match for the Newegg being $20 cheaper WITH a free 16GB card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When I was there, noticed employees pushing Samsung tablets. Can't help but wonder if nudging from somewhere to remove competition from Samsung by dropping Nexus. Just "conspiracy" theory:)

I think you're probably right. Fry's has dedicated stands and displays for Samsung items, which suggests they have some special deal with Samsung.