Washington Post App in Play Store

Beat Navy

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
When I try to download this app, I get error message, "Your device not compatible with is app.". I am running Jellybean 4.2, on my Google Nexus7. No problem downloading other apps. Help will be appreciated.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
That basically means exactly what it says. The developer has not made the app compatible with 4.2. or they plan to and haven't updated it yet.

Did you try clicking on the "E-Mail Developer" link within the app's listing in Play? Some developers are very responsive to inquiries.

Last edited:

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
When this happens I will sometimes download the app on my phone then backup the apk and install it on my Nexus.

This doesn't always work though.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The Washington Post app is available from both Amazon App Store and 1Mobile Market. The 1Mobile Market app is available on the Google Play Store or from their website, www.1mobile.com. You need to go to Amazon's website to download their app store application.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I just tried to get the Washington Post from the Amazon App Store. I got an invoice for $0.00. I was instructed to go to the Amazon Appstore on my device to install it. I did that and clicked on Get App and got the message that I already own the Washington Post News App for Android - please find it in the Apps library. I have had it on my cell phone for years but I can't find it on the Nexus 7. Suggestions?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I just tried to get the Washington Post from the Amazon App Store. I got an invoice for $0.00. I was instructed to go to the Amazon Appstore on my device to install it. I did that and clicked on Get App and got the message that I already own the Washington Post News App for Android - please find it in the Apps library. I have had it on my cell phone for years but I can't find it on the Nexus 7. Suggestions?

As mentioned above the app is not compatible with the Nexus 7. This is usually caused by hardware, such as the processor or screen size. You can try side loading it as mentioned in the third post.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
As I wrote previously, try 1Mobile Market. Download their app store app from the Google Play Store or directly from their website (http://www.1mobile.com/app/market/?cid=10), then use it to download the Washington Post app.

I just did this. Keep in mind that if you have your N7 set up to automatically place the app shortcut on your home screen, you'll need to manually place it there (from the all apps drawer) for apps not downloaded from the Play Store. Anyway, here's my app review in case anyone cares. I know you don't, but read it anyway. What else is there to do on such a gorgeous day? Oh... right!

The Washington Post app works fine on the N7, and there are no significant compatibility issues that I noticed. The opening full screen shot of the Washington Monument isn't exactly hi-res, but it disappears quickly. The app functions in a typical manner of many uninspired newspaper apps, meaning you choose topics from a bar at the top, and get a list of articles below from which to select. You can separately get to weather, traffic, blogs, photos, favorites, and the full topics list by tapping on the decidedly non-ICS menu button in the upper right. Also, you can open subtopics by long pressing on a topic heading in the topic bar.

Overall, it functions well and is easy to navigate. Both portrait and landscape mode are supported. It has a nice weather section, as well as lots of traffic info, including a Metro train map, in case you actually live in DC. The nice thing about the uninspired design is that it is indeed easy to get around. However, if you want to close the app by hitting the back button, it may take a few taps to do so. There are ads, but they're small and unobtrusive.

So what's not to like? There are a few quibbles, but nothing horrible. Foremost is the inability to adjust the font size. It's stuck at a pretty small size, so if your eyes won't allow you to hold your N7 close, you might have a problem, and a trip to the dollar store for reading glasses would be in order. This non optimized text resolution might be why the app isn't considered N7 compatible.

In addition, there are no settings available to customize the app. What you get is what you get. You can't rearrange the order of the topics bar; the weather section only shows you the weather for your current location (inconvenient if you're not in DC but want to see DC weather, though strangely the radar only shows the DC area); you can add article and photo gallery favorites, but not topic favorites, even though there is a tab available for this; and the app just doesn't adhere to the ICS/JB aesthetic.

Overall, if you like the Washington Post, this app performs well enough and will deliver what you need, and it's more convenient to use than the website. However, viewing with a Web browser does allow you to zoom in on the text to make it more readable, if that's an issue. So download it and become informed! Now, excuse me while I go and delete this app.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm still not able to get the Washington Post. I downloaded 1Mobile Market from Google Play. Searched for "Washington Post". Found the familiar icon. Clicked on it and clicked on download. "Your device isn't compatible with this version." That's the version I have on my phone. Thanks for your research but I don't seem to be able to duplicate it.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm still not able to get the Washington Post. I downloaded 1Mobile Market from Google Play. Searched for "Washington Post". Found the familiar icon. Clicked on it and clicked on download. "Your device isn't compatible with this version." That's the version I have on my phone. Thanks for your research but I don't seem to be able to duplicate it.

Very strange, because all the "incompatible" apps listed on the Play Store installed just fine from 1Mobile Market on my N7. This included USA Today, American Express, and Discover Card apps. Is your N7 stock or do you have a custom ROM installed? Perhaps clear your cache and try again.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have 1mobile installed. Under settings I cleared cache and data for the app. Then opened 1 mobile searched for Washington Post and selected download. Same message. Are we trying to download the same app? There's one called Washington post offline reader that's not the same.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I have 1mobile installed. Under settings I cleared cache and data for the app. Then opened 1 mobile searched for Washington Post and selected download. Same message. Are we trying to download the same app? There's one called Washington post offline reader that's not the same.

Okay, just to make sure we're on the same page, this is the Washington Post app that I'm talking about: http://www.1mobile.com/shareApps.php?ID=95454. This will open up in your browser, but here is what it looks like in the 1Mobile Market app:
uploadfromtaptalk1361239965796.jpg
I had previously uninstalled it, so tried to install it again, and it worked just fine.

Check one more thing. Go to Settings for your Nexus 7. Under Security, make sure that "Unknown Sources" is checked. If it's not, it's possible the download is being redirected behind the scenes to Google Play, resulting in the incompatibility issue.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Unknown sources is checked. And yes, we're talking about the same app. Tried again. After I click download in 1Mobile, Google Play says incompatible with device. I'm amazed that you don't get that block.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Intriguing! Not that it should make a difference, but I'm still on Jelly Bean 4.2.1 (not 4.2.2), I'm located in the United States,and my N7 is not rooted.

Let's try another app that's listed as incompatible on Google Play. Try American Express US from 1Mobile. It's by American Express and is at version 3.0. Another is CNN App for Android Phones. See if either one of those will download and install.

Finally, although I'm more interested in why we're getting different results, if nothing else works, try copying the apk from your phone to your N7.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Same problem with CNN. I have 4.2.2. Could that be the cause? Assuming I can find the apk in my phone where do I put it on the tablet?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Just place it anywhere, but the downloads folder is easy to remember. Once there, you simply tap on it to begin the installation process. The apk is like an msi in Windows. It's the installation file.

Also, there are various apps that let you backup your installed apps within your device. You then just go to the folder where the apk was backed up to, and transfer it via whichever means you like to another device. This is one such app, but there are many from which to choose: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=mobi.infolife.appbackup&token=rjl6q5dT

By the way, I got my 4.2.2 update today and just now tried the WP download again. It still downloads and installs without a problem. There must be some other setting that is causing the problem.

Finally, I just noticed that you said in an earlier post, "I click download in 1Mobile, Google Play says incompatible with device." I don't quite understand why Google Play would pop up a message if you're within the 1Mobile app. The entire download and install process should be through 1Mobile. Try downloading some other small app from 1Mobile that you know to be compatible, and see how that process works. If everything is successful, then delete the app.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I chose PrinterShare from 1Mobile. Clicked on download. Google Play Apps comes up and says Install. Why Google Play gets involved with my choices and not yours is puzzling. Age discrimination? (I'm old). :D

I did manage to install the Washington Post by transferring the apk as you suggested. It is indeed not designed for a 7" tablet. As you noted, the font is small and not adjustable. Works very well on a phone. Curiously, I received a notification that an update was available from 1Mobile. When I clicked on it, the same Google Play interface told me it was not compatible with my device.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Problem solved, maybe. I uninstalled 1Mobile and re-installed. I was then able to download WP without interference from Google Play. It's really curious how Google Play got involved but I'll leave that for some other expert to think about unless you want to tackle that.
I have learned a lot from all your helpful suggestions and I hope you will come to my aid when I have another problem.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it sounds like you solved the problem. I'm not sure what happened with the initial installation, but obviously something wasn't right. However, I think I read somewhere that 1Mobile doesn?t actually host the apps, but that they come via Google. If true, then something got crossed up the first time, causing 1Mobile not to have full control over the download. Regardless, I'm happy it's solved for you. In the end, it was your idea that solved it!

The ironic thing is that after all this work, you've found the Washington Post app to not be quite to your liking on the N7. So it goes. But at least now you have a couple ways to get incompatible apps on your N7: an alternative market like 1Mobile (SlideME Market is another legitimate one), and transferring the apk from your phone. Happy to help - that's the point of the forum!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek