Nexus 7 Boot problem

madenglishbloke

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
My 16Gb Nexus 7 (Stock, updated OTA to 4.2) shut itself down a couple of nights back because of a low battery charge (I was reading a book on the Kindle app, turned the app off because I was falling asleep and couldn't be bothered getting out of bed to charge it as it was down to 4%) - in the morning when I plugged it in, the Google logo came up fine, then the swirly "X" logo came on - and that stayed there for hours.
Re-booting via a long press on the power button reboots the thing, but the same problem comes up - it doesn't get past that swirly logo.
3 finger reboot lets me into what I assume is the bootloader (Droid on its back with various options accessed via the volume buttons and power button), but none of the options available seem to sort the problem out.
I've tried various combinations for the power supply (wall sockets vs computers, different chargers, different USB cables), and as far as I can tell, the battery is fully charged, as indicated by the image of a full battery that sometimes pops up when I disconnect a cable.
Any thoughts/ideas/help?

madenglishbloke

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to avoid doing a hard reset, because there is some data I would rather not lose (game data, Kobo Reading Life data, etc).
If there is nothing else to try, then this is a valid last resort, but I would rather not go for the nuclear option.
Thanks for the suggestion/link, though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

madenglishbloke

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I finally gave in and did a hard reset - its currently restoring all my backed-up apps from Google - thank smeg I've got unlimited internet at home, orit would take forever and cost me a bundle!
Thanks for the help and advice.

stoneysilence

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem a week or so ago. I let the battery get too low and it didn't want to turn on. I had to plug it in for several hours in the off position in order to let the battery get enough of a charge so I could turn it on. After I did that I was able to get back into the OS and it started fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca