Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default Google Now won't show package tracking

I've had my nexus 7 for a few days now. At first I had a package tracking number card in there that it found in my gmail.

That was delivered so I removed it. Now I have another package en route. The associated email/tracking number is in gmail. But it won't show up in google now. I've even searched 'usps tracking (number)' in google now. Still no card.

Is there a way to make it show up?

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Default Re: Google Now won't show package tracking

If you figure it out, let me know. I've had several emails arrive in my GMail with tracking numbers present and I've never seen the tracking card. (And now most have been delivered, so I doubt I'll see it.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfringer View Post
    If you figure it out, let me know. I've had several emails arrive in my GMail with tracking numbers present and I've never seen the tracking card. (And now most have been delivered, so I doubt I'll see it.
    Same with me. My Nexus 7 arrived today, and I never received a card on my Galaxy Nexus.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Glad it's not just me. I'm not seeing the usefulness of Google Now at this point other than to show off at parties. I've watched the demonstration videos on youtube and don't see too much I'd use it for.

The two cards up on my screen are Chicago Bears recent results/next game, and local weather. As a sports fan, the bears one is not that useful, since I already know the info. The weather one is also not all that useful.

I have a trip coming up with flight/hotel confirmations in the email, but those don't show up. Maybe they'll do so when the date gets a little closer.

I can't get a card to show up for my (mid-major) NCAA alma mater, because I guess it's not mainstream enough for google to care.

Google Now tracks my shipped packages from Amazon, but ironically didn't track my Nexus 7 3G ordered from the Google Play Store, despite having the UPS tracking number in the confirmation email.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Arctic HD

I had it pop up with shipping information and stuff when I ordered my case and otg cable from Amazon, but when I ordered a hard drive from new egg I didn't get anything. Who knows

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

+1 the card showed up for a package ordered from amazon, but not for portenzo case ordered directly from their website. So.... Only amazon so far.

Nexus 7

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

So, it currently looks like Google is parsing Amazon shipping notices correctly, but other merchants not so well. Too bad... if it were to work seamlessly, it would be a great addition.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eerickson7 View Post
    Glad it's not just me. I'm not seeing the usefulness of Google Now at this point other than to show off at parties. I've watched the demonstration videos on youtube and don't see too much I'd use it for.

The two cards up on my screen are Chicago Bears recent results/next game, and local weather. As a sports fan, the bears one is not that useful, since I already know the info. The weather one is also not all that useful.

I have a trip coming up with flight/hotel confirmations in the email, but those don't show up. Maybe they'll do so when the date gets a little closer.

I can't get a card to show up for my (mid-major) NCAA alma mater, because I guess it's not mainstream enough for google to care.
    It doesn't appear that Google Now supports any collegiate-level sports at this time. If you go to the configuration of the sports card, it only allows professional level teams to be selected. With that said, it would have been fantastic had they integrated the sports options from Google's own (now defunct) Scoreboard app. It allowed a plethora of sports to be tracked!

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfringer View Post
    So, it currently looks like Google is parsing Amazon shipping notices correctly, but other merchants not so well. Too bad... if it were to work seamlessly, it would be a great addition.
    I've had three Amazon packages shipped and arrive since I updated to 4.2 with a fourth Amazon package shipped out and on its way for Monday delivery yet I haven't gotten a single card from Google Now about any of them!

I've checked the settings. Its supposed to display. everything is "a go" on my end yet GNow won't display a single shipping card.

This feature is a glitchy hit or miss.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    This feature is a glitchy hit or miss.
    Agreed. There should be some info / troubleshooting on Google Now than that currently available.

~Jaqi~
    Sent from my lovely Nexus 7

I have come to find out that it actually does work for eBay! I haven't tried anything else, but i do know that the card will not show up unless you click on the email with the confirmation number inside of it (I also loaded up the images just to make sure and rule out everything!) Hope this helps everyone!

Do you have to use gmail app for it to work? I use k9...

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

I believe so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Just wanted to chime in and confirm that my Nexus 4 order that shipped yesterday still won't show in Google Now via the Package Tracking feature. Pretty much everything else does. At first I thought it was because I have a separate folder for Play Store stuff, but all of my Amazon stuff goes to it's own folder as well, and Now has no issues picking up on those shipment confirmation emails.

Pretty disappointing. I know it hasn't been out that long, but it HAS been out long enough for them to tweak the way it scans for those emails. That has to be the reason. Email formatting or something.

My Nexus 4 will be on my doorstep in a few hours and I guess I'll just keep opening up the tracking on my PC here until then.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Does Google now work with 3rd party email programs? Specifically the HTC mail client?

Quote Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
    Does Google now work with 3rd party email programs? Specifically the HTC mail client?
    there is no third party integration with google now. its purely google service just like gmail app

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    there is no third party integration with google now. its purely google service just like gmail app
    And I assume, of course, that this does not work with integrated apps for airlines and flight notifications like the AA app, etc. So, what perplexes me is how does one allow the Google Now app to track a flight? By using integrated Chrome browser to search a flight schedule for the exact date and time of my departing flight?

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

I use the Slice app and it is awesome in terms of tracking packages.

I think it relies on certain pre-programmed logic of what kind of tracking number it looks for - so there may be some lag when UPS or FedEx come up with a new numbering format. You might notice google search act the same way when punching in a tracking number with some instantly recognized and others not so much.

I buy alot of stuff online and I'd say it has about an 80% effective rate from what I have seen.

Same here. I got the email from Google Play that my order has been shipped (with tracking number), but it won't show up in Now. Amazon shipments show up automatically. Pretty lame that Google can't track packages from their own store. BTW, Slice is really unparalleled with tracking. It's consistently been more timely & accurate than Now or even Amazon's own notification options.

I found the solution in another forum. It seems the Google Search update stopped shipped packages from showing up.
    The fix was to remove all upgrades to search.
    As soon as the factory installed version was the default all my notifications showed up again

Posted via Android Central App

I believe the cause actually is due to your email no longer being part of Google search and Google Now.

They faced controversy a few months back called Scroogle. Google faced privacy concerns a while back and was reading your emails and popping up advertisements based on your emails.

Only solution to privacy protection was to cut ties to scanning your mail which includes Now and tracking packages.