Preferred anti-virus checker

dduniam

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
What is the best anti-virus checker out there pls ? I've been using avast!, which seems to be okay (so far, so good, at least). Norton and Kaspersky seem to get a bad rap, and there are lots of others that I know nothing about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Google had their own built-in anti-virus. I'm guessing it only works on side-loaded apps, not text files, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Lookout, which is typically in the top 5 apps in respected blogs or publications. I tried Avast on my Razr Maxx, which seemed pretty impressive, but I found it led to noticeable battery drain.

It's true that the actual benefit of using Android antivirus apps at this point in time is probably low, since the prevalence of Android malware is relatively low as well. But I'd rather not fall behind the curve, because it's just a matter of time before malware explodes exponentially in the Android ecosystem.

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Avast on my N7 since launch and haven't had any issues with the program at all. I generally forget it's even there.

I've recently lost faith in Google's ability (and desire) to police the Play store (and their other services), so I feel a half-decent AV is a necessity now, unfortunately.

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Lookout due to its solid reputation, consistently high spot on Top 5 lists, and its low power consumption.

To that end, I also exercise common sense when downloading apps. I keep my devices restricted to Google Play apps only (with the exception of Amazon AppStore because I trust it). I tend to stick with established publishers most of the time. Lastly, I typically won't download an app that falls below 4 stars and/or hasn't been downloaded at least 10,000 times already, and I check the reviews for my device. My thinking there is: if 10,000+ users downloaded it and there was malicious code, chances are somebody's going to have reported it already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes