Google Voice Activated Search Function Down?

dsf7

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to use the Google voice activated search function on the Nexus 7 for about the last hour (8:30 to 9:30 pm eastern US time) and the function just goes into never-never land with a "Recognizing" notification but no results. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have my N7 with me right now, but Voice Search on my Razr Maxx just worked. Maybe go to Settings->Apps->All->Voice Search or Google Search and clear cache and/or data?

dsf7

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried clearing the cache for all apps that looked like they might be related and then I fully powered the N7 down via the long hold of the power button. After the power/boot up, I still had the same problem. I can't remember if this is the first time since I upgraded to JB 4.2 that I have tried to use the voice activated search function, therefore, if others are using JB 4.2 and not having a problem, I may have some sort of upgrade issue. It would be great if someone else with JB 4.2 running on their N7 could confirm if the searching via voice input works for them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Voice search works on my Nexus 7 at 11 pm Pacific time. How's it working for you?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
The voice activated search by saying Google from within the app hasn't been working on my Nexus 7 or my Galaxy Nexus the past couple days, you can tell when its not working it only says search instead of say Google or yada yada.

Sent from my Nexus 7

dsf7

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I contacted technical support. They had me clear some program files and caches. That didn't work. The Google person then said that the only thing to fix it would be to do a factory reset but I was skeptical. I tried cleaning most every Google related program's caches and files on my own. That didn't work. I decided to have faith in the Google rep and did a reset (she said to not allow the restore process to do any of the restoration from backup options in order to get a clean install). Of course, that didn't work but I did waste a whole lot of time reinstalling all of my programs and reconfiguring all my settings. There is still lots more to do to restore everything. Based on this experience, I think it is an issue related to the 4.2 update or Google server or Google services. I am visiting at my mom's for the first time with my tablet so I guess there is a slight possibility that it could be an issues with her Verizon DSL servers blocking something although that seems doubtful.

Another thing the Google rep said was that the factory reset would restore my N7 to 4.1.2. That kind of motivated me to do the reset. Again, she was wrong. The reset gave me 4.2 once more.

Mikesnexus

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear the reset didn't work. Had the same exact issue about 3 weeks or so ago. And that was before 4.2 update. Had to do reset and it worked. Kind of makes me wonder if it is app specific instead of OS?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I decided to have faith in the Google rep and did a reset. Of course, that didn't work but I did waste a whole lot of time reinstalling all of my programs and reconfiguring all my settings. I am visiting at my mom's for the first time with my tablet so I guess there is a slight possibility that it could be an issues with her Verizon DSL servers blocking something although that seems doubtful.
First, that's really too bad you did the reset. It is indeed a hassle to set up again after having everything just the way you wanted it. The silver lining is that it's a good way to clean house, so to speak.

My guess is that it is indeed something having to do with the network you are using. Did voice search previously work before hooking up with your mom's network? Have you since tried another WiFi network? Have you tried resetting your mom's router? If this was a Google server issue, I think a lot more people would be reporting it. Let us know your progress. Good luck!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance