Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: 4.2 battery life

I was running paranoid android before so I had to fresh install, I just ran the 4.2 factory image straight on it.

Everything else works great other than the drain

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I, myself, updated via OTA. It shouldn't matter in my opinion. Maybe we're all just paying too much attention to the battery life, and subconsciously expected to be more life?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

How do you do fresh install?

Quote Originally Posted by NordicNinja View Post
    Did you guys do a fresh install or did you do the OTA update? I've installed 4.2 fresh on my N7 and my N4 and I'm having ZERO issues. No problems with battery drain and no bugs, other than the December thing. I keep hearing people having all of these issues and blog posts criticizing 4.s for being buggy, but I haven't experience any of that.
    How do you do fresh install.

Quote Originally Posted by comandoed View Post
    How do you do fresh install?
    I believe you can manually update, which probably also fresh installing.

ROM
    Stock 4.2

I don't feel battery life has been any better or worse since my 7 updated to 4.2.

ROM
    JB

I definitely notice the battery drain with the update! My screen is on auto brightness and have nothing special running other than WiFi.4.2 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1353662472887.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NordicNinja View Post
    Did you guys do a fresh install or did you do the OTA update? I've installed 4.2 fresh on my N7 and my N4 and I'm having ZERO issues. No problems with battery drain and no bugs, other than the December thing. I keep hearing people having all of these issues and blog posts criticizing 4.s for being buggy, but I haven't experience any of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by comandoed View Post
    How do you do fresh install.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I think what's meant by a fresh install of the 4.2 update is if you did a factory reset and install the update before installing any apps?

I did not do the factory reset before installing 4.2 and I've noticed faster battery drain, bluetooth cutting out, and subtle screen flicker. Although, either the screen flicker isn't so bad anymore or I've gotten used to it...

Anyway, I'm considering Doing factory reset and trying the update again. But will a factory reset take the OS back to 4.1 (or whatever version it was when I first got it) now that I'm on 4.2?

Quote Originally Posted by dedduck0121 View Post
    I definitely notice the battery drain with the update! My screen is on auto brightness and have nothing special running other than WiFi.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1353662472887.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	48022

Here are my battery stats:
    4.2 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1353673347017.jpg

I noticed that the icon on Google services is different than yours on mine...

ROM
    JB

That's strange!

I'll be lucky to get 8 hours out of this battery today.

Quote Originally Posted by pjniez View Post
    Here are my battery stats:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1353673347017.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	48024

I noticed that the icon on Google services is different than yours on mine...

LOL...Take a gander at THIS! Its horrible. I only used the map app for 20 minutes or less...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.2 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1353727590303.jpg  

Google really needs to start Project Roadrunner for battery, because this life doesn't last.

Thanked by:

ROM
    JB

So this battery is lasting longer b.c I put it on airplane mode every time i leave the tablet idle for long periods of time. Exchange Services (work email) and ,APS I used for like 30 seconds each and look at their batter consumption! Both were not running in the background either.4.2 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1353816921326.jpg

Not saying the 4-3% is that much for long term but I literally had them on for 30 seconds each haha

Are you all using Live wallpapers? Two nights ago I realized that l switched my wallpaper to one of the new Live wallpapers that came with 4.2. Of course that was shortly after I upgraded to 4.2 and started noticing the poor battery life. I then switched to one of the non-live wallpapers and my battery seems to be lot better and the Google Services isn't so high on my battery stats:
    4.2 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1353820032524.jpg

But Maps is still pretty high on the list and I don't think I even used it!

No change in battery life for me. Getting at least a full day of use off a full charge.

If you are having issues, do a factory reset and reinstall apps manually - not from a backup. Battery drain can be caused by app data/cache issues.

ROM
    JB

No live wallpaper for me. I tried different battery saving strategies this charge and next time I charge it up I'll try something different ya know. Hopefully something gives.

Will Google improve battery life in the next update?

ROM
    Stock

I agree that 4.2 has shortened the battery life, but I actually improved it a bit by uninstalling Juice Protector or whatever it's called... Weird.
    "Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?"

It's probably not optimized for 4.2 thus the improvement

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
    Eduardo06sp likes this.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

High power consumption by Maps, especially when you're not using, may be due to the Network Location Service. I first encountered the bad behavior on my phone and disabled the service there. Then, did the same on the N7. Made a big difference in battery life. Even though I turned off WiFi location in Settings, I still had to disable the service to get it to stop running whenever it felt like it.

Maps has been known to accidentally turn on the GPS and leave it on. So, you might check that too.

Quote Originally Posted by bitseeker View Post
    High power consumption by Maps, especially when you're not using, may be due to the Network Location Service. I first encountered the bad behavior on my phone and disabled the service there. Then, did the same on the N7. Made a big difference in battery life. Even though I turned off WiFi location in Settings, I still had to disable the service to get it to stop running whenever it felt like it.

Maps has been known to accidentally turn on the GPS and leave it on. So, you might check that too.
    I've also noticed that you can disable a different option. If you go to the three dots at the corner---> Location Settings, you can disable automatic location reporting, which happens to be under 'Background Location Reporting'.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I had the problem with Maps sucking power even when not used before the 4.2 update, but the new culprit appears to be Google Play services as noted here:

I (and others) have noticed Google Play Services has absolutely eaten into my Nexus 7's battery life post-Android 4.2. Usually, I get a solid 3-5 days of standby time if my Nexus 7 is sitting mostly idle, but after leaving it alone this weekend for under 48 hours, I returned to it at about 8% remaining. Not good. Similar issues have been brought up by Galaxy Nexus owners. In addition to that, exchange accounts are apparently causing massive loss in battery longevity. The exchange issue can be alleviated by removing and re-adding your accounts, according to some of the bug threads.

The Google Play Services problem, though, doesn't seem to have a solution presently, and reportedly is affecting all Nexuses. I'm also hearing from numerous people that NFC is causing extreme battery drain in some cases across all Nexus devices, a problem I, too, have experienced.

I don't have NFC on, don't want to turn off location services (and they weren't a problem before), but GSam Battery Monitor reports Google Services with Play a component being THE major power hog. Here's to hoping 4.2.1 squashes these bugs.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

One of the main culprits for me was Google currents. It apparently was making the whole tablet lag. I went into the app and disabled background updating and that seemed to take care of the lag and have me better battery life........I can't take credit for finding it though. I read it in an article...problem android central.

I just updated to 4.2 a couple of days ago and contrary to others, I have seen same or battery battery life. One thing that is definitely better now is charge time. It was taking me almost five hours to fully charge this device and now it charges in half that time. The only issue with 4.2 so far is Bluetooth connectivity but I hear that it will be fixed with the 4.2.1 update.
    OD, DX, D3, Bionic, Nexus, RAZR Max and Nexus 7

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.2 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1354044970035.jpg   4.2 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1354044981245.jpg  
    OD, DX, D3, Bionic, Nexus, RAZR Max and Nexus 7
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast