Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: 4.2 battery life

Go to settings, Wi-Fi, click the "three dots" menu button in the top-right, select advanced, click "keep Wi-Fi on during sleep", select the option you want.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Try switching off Google Now. Doing that improved my battery life dramatically from 1 day to almost 3 days.

Eduardo06sp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sandeep_s View Post
    Try switching off Google Now. Doing that improved my battery life dramatically from 1 day to almost 3 days.

This is why I dislike Google Now. It's really cool, but at the cost of most of my battery life.

Angry Re: 4.2 battery life

I've uninstalled Weather Channel, Google Currents, HD Widgets Disabled 90% of my Play Store Apps from auto-updating, manually shut off wi-fi all the time, disabled location access and NFC, disabled Google Now and some other things I can't even remember.

All this just to try to squeeze 4-5 hours of battery life out of what has become a POC since the 4.2 upgrade. I used to easily get 8-10 hours of battery life with all those other things listed installed or running. So, now I have to not use features and apps that I enjoyed and found useful.

Google better man up soon and issue a fix for this boondoogle. This ignoring of the problem coupled with how they did the same thing with the shipping fiasco when the tablet was released seals the deal for me that their customer attitude is horrid.

What's the sense of having a recognized best in class machine that is crippled by the manufacturer via their doggy update?

I doubt I'll ever be buying hardware from Google again.

I am contemplating going back to 4.1.2 myself. Battery life is the least of my concerns anymore

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I just did a little research on my tablet. In the settings I changed "Keep WIFI on During Sleep" to "only when plugged" from the beginning but battery lasts for a day with only moderate use. Then I tried Battery Mix widget mentioned here. It showed that WiFi is kept on while tablet is in sleep even though it should be off during sleep. I'm not sure what keeps it on.

Eduardo06sp likes this.

Anybody else getting this from BBS? I researched it and have no real clue.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.2 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1355052127267.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by robertnv View Post
    Anybody else getting this from BBS? I researched it and have no real clue.

I took a look at my battery statistics when I caught a glimpse of 'surface flinger', then it turned to something else.

Thanked by:

Hello People!

I have good news for you! I had similar problems after 4.2 but found a fix. I am sure it will work for many of you. This is what I did (diagnostics and solution):

1. Unchecked "Data Enabled" at "Settings > More > Mobile Networks". After doing this the drain stopped, so it was clear it had something to do with an app connecting to internet.

2. Most mobile data was consumed by K-9 Mail (should be applicable to other clients too) so I decided to try it first. I restricted its "Background Data" via "Settings > Data Usage > K-9 Mail. Then I checked "Data Enabled" back and there was no battery drain. It was obvious that restricting Background Data helped.

3. I deleted all K-9 Mail accounts, cleared the app data and added accounts back. And Voila!, no more battery drain!

Hope this helps you guys,

With all best wishes,

Tigran Shahnazaryan

That sucks, mine has been running flawlessly.
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, and Nexus 7
    robertnv likes this.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Battery life performance slashed in half since 4.1.2 --- kind of frustrating that this is
    a pure Google experience, and its almost like we received an update from Verizon for a skinned android device. Frustrating indeed. people over at xda are rolling back. It is a pain in the neck, but charging everyday is not a good look,,,,,, What the heck is going on here????

I'm getting good battery life on 4.2 and that includes 4hrs of screen time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.2 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1355988365276.jpg  
    Galaxy S4 ATT (Retired)

Galaxy S3 VZW (Retired)

Xoom LTE VZW (Retired)

Nexus 7 2012 (Retired)

Nexus 7 2013 (Retired)

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Note 10.1 2014 Ed.

Galaxy S5 ATT

disable all location services, that helped a lot with my nexus 7

This is almost off-topic, but I have a 4.2 battery usage question (I've only had mine for a few weeks): Thus far I have only a seat-of-the-pants feel about battery usage but have been pleased with it. I normally leave the GPS and NFS turned off.

Yesterday I was watching a movie using MX Player and paused it and went to another app. I put the 7 down and closed the case (which turned off the screen). Normally when I leave it idle with the display off for a couple of hours I notice very little. But this time, when I turned it on, the battery had gone from maybe 70-something to 24%.

I didn't think to check the battery usage indicator, but I'm wondering if MX Player is sucking up the battery even when paused and the display is off. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

I'm getting pretty good battery life on 4.2. And this was almost 13 hours of screen time, most was from Global Outbreak and Galaxy On Fire 2.

@Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234