4.2 battery life

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
No live wallpaper for me. I tried different battery saving strategies this charge and next time I charge it up I'll try something different ya know. Hopefully something gives.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

xQuencher

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree that 4.2 has shortened the battery life, but I actually improved it a bit by uninstalling Juice Protector or whatever it's called... Weird.

bitseeker

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
High power consumption by Maps, especially when you're not using, may be due to the Network Location Service. I first encountered the bad behavior on my phone and disabled the service there. Then, did the same on the N7. Made a big difference in battery life. Even though I turned off WiFi location in Settings, I still had to disable the service to get it to stop running whenever it felt like it.

Maps has been known to accidentally turn on the GPS and leave it on. So, you might check that too.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
High power consumption by Maps, especially when you're not using, may be due to the Network Location Service. I first encountered the bad behavior on my phone and disabled the service there. Then, did the same on the N7. Made a big difference in battery life. Even though I turned off WiFi location in Settings, I still had to disable the service to get it to stop running whenever it felt like it.

Maps has been known to accidentally turn on the GPS and leave it on. So, you might check that too.

I've also noticed that you can disable a different option. If you go to the three dots at the corner---> Location Settings, you can disable automatic location reporting, which happens to be under 'Background Location Reporting'.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the problem with Maps sucking power even when not used before the 4.2 update, but the new culprit appears to be Google Play services as noted here: Android 4.2-Gate: Here Are Some Of The Major Issues Plaguing Google's Newest Release

I (and others) have noticed Google Play Services has absolutely eaten into my Nexus 7's battery life post-Android 4.2. Usually, I get a solid 3-5 days of standby time if my Nexus 7 is sitting mostly idle, but after leaving it alone this weekend for under 48 hours, I returned to it at about 8% remaining. Not good. Similar issues have been brought up by Galaxy Nexus owners. In addition to that, exchange accounts are apparently causing massive loss in battery longevity. The exchange issue can be alleviated by removing and re-adding your accounts, according to some of the bug threads.

The Google Play Services problem, though, doesn't seem to have a solution presently, and reportedly is affecting all Nexuses. I'm also hearing from numerous people that NFC is causing extreme battery drain in some cases across all Nexus devices, a problem I, too, have experienced.

I don't have NFC on, don't want to turn off location services (and they weren't a problem before), but GSam Battery Monitor reports Google Services with Play a component being THE major power hog. Here's to hoping 4.2.1 squashes these bugs.

gaijin82

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
One of the main culprits for me was Google currents. It apparently was making the whole tablet lag. I went into the app and disabled background updating and that seemed to take care of the lag and have me better battery life........I can't take credit for finding it though. I read it in an article...problem android central.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I just updated to 4.2 a couple of days ago and contrary to others, I have seen same or battery battery life. One thing that is definitely better now is charge time. It was taking me almost five hours to fully charge this device and now it charges in half that time. The only issue with 4.2 so far is Bluetooth connectivity but I hear that it will be fixed with the 4.2.1 update.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354044970035.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354044970035.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 190
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354044981245.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354044981245.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 61

bitseeker

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the problem with Maps sucking power even when not used before the 4.2 update, but the new culprit appears to be Google Play services as noted here: Android 4.2-Gate: Here Are Some Of The Major Issues Plaguing Google's Newest Release

Ah, good to see confirmation of that. The Play app was a power hog on 4.1 as well. I always check for it and kill the app before I turn off my N7, which might be why it didn't seem to have changed in 4.2.

Too many services not playing nicely.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Well after I disabled google Currents my battery life saw a huge improvement. Easy fix there, and currents is worthless anyway. It's useless without reader support.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

forestinjersey

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
As stated above. If you don't use it disable Google Currents. Both my N7 and Galaxy Nexus battery life has nearly doubled!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bitseeker

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
i disabled google current....is that a fix ? lets see what happens now...

Go through all the Google apps and services and disable automatic/background updates and notification on anything you don't really need. The more the N7 wakes up, the less battery is left when you need it.

shontrashi

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
i have disabled google current, still not getting the battery power that i had with 4.2.......now i'm getting just 4 hours of average use....i don't play games but watch YOutube short clips and browse, facebook etc........very disappointed......i think it was a mistake to sell ipad 2 and buy nexus 7.

MrLANlord

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue. I use the battery monitoring app 'Battery Mix'. It showed me that my weather app 'The Weather Chamnel' was using most of my battery. I went from 2-3 days per charge to less than 1.

Once I removed the weather app I rocketed back up to 2-3 days per charge. Not sure if that helps you.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie