Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.2 battery life

Since upgrading to 4.2 my battery life is lousy, I'm losing 30 percent an hour and that's with the display on a low resolution, it wasn't this way before the update. Any suggestions ? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Default Re: 4.2 battery life

Digital displays have a fixed resolution - it is what it is. Do you mean low brightness?

I've heard other folks complaining about high battery usage, but this is about the worst I've heard of so far. What does the battery usage page under settings say is using the power?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes I mean brightness. Screen is showing 78 % and NFC 12%.

No idea what NFC is, but the screen taking up about 22% of your battery every hour seems awfully high - are you using the tablet that much?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ya I use it frequently and half the brightness set on low to medium. I'm not using it more than I was before the update.

What was your battery consumption @ 4.1.2?

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I'm in the exact same situation, battery life has been terrible since upgrading. Find myself wishing I had never upgraded

To disable NFC, go to Settings---> More...---> Un-tick NFC. What this is, is Near Field Communication. You can 'beam' content from any devices that support NFC. You can even get NFC Tags that change your settings simply by putting your tablet on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Same. ever since i upgraded to 4.2, battery draining like anything for me.........very unhappy here..

Same here battery isn't lasting through the day. What's up Google. Not very happy.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Check what services are running. Something may have started up when 4.2 rebooted the N7. Also, were you automatically logged back into Google+, Google Talk, etc.?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I disabled NFC. I'm not sure how to know if other services are running other than bringing them up in the recent apps window.

I upgraded JB4.2 NFC on, Brightness slider just over half way up, Location Ser on, using live wallpaper, Google Search on, Google+ not used, With moderate use it lasts about two days. This seems not to be what others are getting. I am very happy with the battery life.
    BTW on 4.1.2 I used Auto Brightness and can't on 4.2 because I get the screen flicker that has been talked about in other threads. I did unlock and root. Thats about all I have changed on my Nexus 7. Just wish Nexus 4 would come back in stock!

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I got my N7 about a week before the 4.2 release and even running it stock, with all variables held equal, the battery drain has been significant. This is my third N7 and I have been insanely happy with the battery life it has exhibited, but I can't say that anymore.

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shontrashi View Post
    Same. ever since i upgraded to 4.2, battery draining like anything for me.........very unhappy here..
    +1

I used to get 12-14 hours of ACTIVE USE out of my Nexus 7 before I upgraded to 4.2. Now I can barely get 8! :banghead:

I'm not a happy camper. Google needs to address and fix this and soon! :banghead:

Sent from my Nexus 7

I get about 5 hours of use on this.

There is definitely something causing drain on 4.2, I wouldn't say my battery life on my nexus 7 completely sucks, but forget getting 2 days out of a charge now! Before the update my battery life was epic, we're talking maybe a 5% drain and hour during heavy use, and a percent drain a day on standby. Now while in use my battery drains fast, to the point you can just watch the percentage go down while in use, and on standby a percent an hour or more. I always kept auto brightness on, plenty of widgets, and gps on at all times before. Now I've shut all that stuff off for no noticeable gain.

It's not just me either, my friend has a Gnex and he also complains about heavy battery drain. Really I love the update other than this, I really hope they patch it, thus far only thing they've cared about is the December bug

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

+1!!!

My battery performance has significantly suffered since 4.2... I'm very disappointed. I get half the battery life now. I don't get it, don't they check things like this before final release?

ROM
    stock

Same here. Just noticed how bad it is now. Ridiculous, could 4.2 be any worse?

Yeah I'd say half would be pretty accurate. It's insane. I think 4.2 was a bit rushed. I mean 4.1 just dropped a couple months ago but they needed to have a new Android for the nexus 4 and 10. Hopefully 4.2.1 fixes the drain

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Just installed Advanced Task Manager from app world. Looks like it might help some battery drain problems. Anyone got comments?

Did you guys do a fresh install or did you do the OTA update? I've installed 4.2 fresh on my N7 and my N4 and I'm having ZERO issues. No problems with battery drain and no bugs, other than the December thing. I keep hearing people having all of these issues and blog posts criticizing 4.s for being buggy, but I haven't experience any of that.

I haven't noticed any hit on battery life since the update to 4.2, it's been much of the same.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    I haven't noticed any hit on battery life since the update to 4.2, it's been much of the same.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA
    Ditto. Just checked my N7, 1 day 4 hours on the battery and it's at 60%. And my kids streamed Netflix for perhaps an hour or so. Although, it was idle for a ton of the other time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Have you turned off the NFC, Bluetooth and location service?
    I manually updated my 32 and have had no issues other than it is much faster!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast