Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

ROM
    stock

Default Re: Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean 4.2 debacle

We shouldn't have to reset after every update. That is completely unacceptable. Imagine if you had to reformat and reinstall Windows every time a major update came out. Ive been having nothing but trouble with 4.2. Lag, reboots, when is Google gonna get their act together. Remember the awful performance when having less than 6gb free? Still not fixed. Ffs.

I didn't pay $250 for a device to be a beta tester. I'd rather have stable software than what ever is bleeding edge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I am also having battery issues but I have lots of games and another user account. Do I still need to do a factory reset?

Quote Originally Posted by flux capacitor View Post
    We shouldn't have to reset after every update. That is completely unacceptable. Imagine if you had to reformat and reinstall Windows every time a major update came out. Ive been having nothing but trouble with 4.2. Lag, reboots, when is Google gonna get their act together. Remember the awful performance when having less than 6gb free? Still not fixed. Ffs.

I didn't pay $250 for a device to be a beta tester. I'd rather have stable software than what ever is bleeding edge.

I do. Did a clean install with Windows XP, Windows 7, and the last 4 versions of OSX

Sent from my Nexus 4

^ Co-freaking-sign. They either aren't paying their testers enough or they wanted us to beta test for them. Either way, it was a really stupid decision to release this mess on their flagship devices. Don't treat us paying customers as if we're participating in one of their years long beta services. After reading about Google leaving a two year old bug go unfixed, it seems now isn't a good time to be an Android user.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    stock

Really? So when ms issues a batch of new patches on Patch Tuesday u reformat and reinstall everything? this is not a case of ICS to JB . 4.1 to 4.2 isn't something that should require this much headaches.

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by jairusz View Post
    ^ Co-freaking-sign. They either aren't paying their testers enough or they wanted us to beta test for them. Either way, it was a really stupid decision to release this mess on their flagship devices. Don't treat us paying customers as if we're participating in one of their years long beta services. After reading about Google leaving a two year old bug go unfixed, it seems now isn't a good time to be an Android user.
    Correction, INexus user. My sgs3 runs fine

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Here's what I see:
    A number of people with problems.
    A number of people without problems, or maybe just screen auto brightness.
    A remarkably crude fix of resetting the machine.

Maybe the problem isn't with 4.2. Maybe the problem is with some group of apps that some people have and some people don't.
    If people pool their smarts and compare details, they will get a lot farther than just showing how irritated they are.
    blitzen89 and drew_t like this.

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL88 View Post
    Doing a factory reset resolved all my issues with 4.2. Unfortunately it seems Android needs a reset after an OS update, it should not be that way but for me it always seems to be a necessity for optimal performance. If all else fails do the reset.
    +1 on this. Its a hassle but it worked for me.

My Nook7 was flawless prior to the update - now it is frustrating to use.

WiFi Connection is extremely erratic.

I need to do a cold start in order to get connection about 80% of the time.

Amazon App Store Sh#$-The-Bed and refuses to remember my password. (maybe a Google Play Store conspiracy....)

Beautiful Widget Weather/Clock Widget takes forever to appear on start up.

I'm really ticked at the lack of QCing for support for Google's own tablet.

Mine worked fine out of the box, and works fine with 4.2.

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using Tapatalk 2
    drew_t, memlok and Coldar like this.

ROM
    JB

I have heard all of these problems and I honestly don't have any of them on my Nexus 7. (Thankfully)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    blitzen89, drew_t and Coldar like this.

Really? So when ms issues a batch of new patches on Patch Tuesday u reformat and reinstall everything? this is not a case of ICS to JB . 4.1 to 4.2 isn't something that should require this much headaches.

Not wanting to stick my foot into the "reset" / "we shouldn't have to reset" debate here, but ...

It's an all too common misconception that something like 4.1 -> 4.2 is a minor update, while in most cases that's just not true. The way the vast majority of development houses number things, that first decimal point is a major release change. Bundles many changes - some obvious and some under the wrappers. The minor releases (like 4.1.1 & 4.1.2) are normally just bug fixes and sometimes a minor feature or two.

Also, the term minor isn't in our - the users - perception as to how large or small a difference something makes in our lives. It's primarily the amount of code that needs changing and the level of risk for a bug regression.

ROM
    stock

However big an update may be, its simply unacceptable to have reset and reinstall and reconfigure everytime an update is issued. I just can't go thru all that again. I,ve spent so much time tweaking and setting up my apps and now I gotta do it all over again because Google can't figure out how to make an update not suck? I'm seriously considering just giving this thing to my nephew so he can play the games alone, and I'll check out the mini too see how things are in iOS land. Ive had the n7 since September and while there are things I like very much about it and android overall, I've frankly have a good bit of buyers remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by dougf4 View Post
    My Nook7 was flawless prior to the update - now it is frustrating to use.

WiFi Connection is extremely erratic.

I need to do a cold start in order to get connection about 80% of the time.

Amazon App Store Sh#$-The-Bed and refuses to remember my password. (maybe a Google Play Store conspiracy....)

Beautiful Widget Weather/Clock Widget takes forever to appear on start up.

I'm really ticked at the lack of QCing for support for Google's own tablet.

The amazon bug was Amazon's fault. If you're still having that issue, it's because you haven't installed their update.

Is it just me or is the device much quieter now? It seems that my volume boosting app doesn't boost the volume on movies as loud as it used to be before the update.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    jairusz and DuvalBounty904 like this.

Several times after cold booting a message popped up saying wi fi finder has stopped working and then after a few seconds it finds my network. Playing music over bluetooth to my Jawbone Jambox is one skip after another, totally unusable. Great job, Google.

The only issue I've noticed is that Bluetooth no longer works when I want to tether it to my phone. Bluetooth works for my BT mouse and keyboard but the tethering is no longer functional. I was using Open Garden with 4.1 and now it will not work. This same problem is being reported by a lot of people. The update certainly adversely affected this function.

ROM
    Stock

Now that Google is pushing the Nexus device to the general public, they really need a setting that ignores any OS updates for 4 weeks so developers have a chance to get their apps fixed. Leave it ON by default, and anyone who wants immediate updates (developers and those of us who bought the Nexus so we could be on the bleeding edge, knowing that it's not called the "bleeding edge" for nothing) can turn it off by going into developer options and checking "Immediate OS Updates" or something. Maybe have a setting at the release level relative to the impact of the upgrade (X.00 releases wait 6 weeks, 0.X0 releases which are usually a new named version wait 4 weeks, 0.0X releases wait 2 weeks).

This was a fairly significant release, and I'm frankly surprised Google didn't decide to call it Key Lime Pie to befit its 0.X0 version increment. It's going to cause some confusion, because a lot of phones that are getting "Jelly Bean" in the coming months are going to be getting some variant of 4.1, and go looking for multi-user support, configurable lockscreen widgets, dreamtime, photosphere, swiping native keyboard, etc, and it's not going to be there.

Global Posts
    1,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

For the first day after updating, things seemed fine, but then it started dragging like an underpowered ICS device and battery life was abysmal. Clearing the cache helped speed for a little while, but the power drain was untenable, so I bit the bullet and did a factory reset and things seem much better. Because I'd ticked the box to back my device up to Google, I didn't have to do a thing to get my apps back on for they redownloaded themselves. Nice. Yes, there are some PITA aspects, like getting your sideloaded Kindle books back to where you left off, but oh well.

Yes, it's a pain, but the fact that the negative effects are so hit and miss indicates there's something more happening than just a bad update. Are there variances in the builds of N7s (i.e. earlier units have different components or something) or are there certain combos of hacks, apps, tweaks, etc. that are more susceptible to problems?
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    Thanked by:

roblox84 I noticed the same problem on mine. The volume boost is not as loud as before.

Quote Originally Posted by jairusz View Post
    After reading about Google leaving a two year old bug go unfixed, it seems now isn't a good time to be an Android user.

I've just come to Android from iPhone. Been an avid Google user for years, so finally took the plunge. This Nexus 7 is driving me up the wall with screen flicker and I'm going round in circles with replacement devices. Also had the reboot issue, which I think is resolved. And, I'm still in my 14 day tryout period with my new HTC One X+. Loving the phone, but get random hiccups when playing music. While I'm tempted to go back to Apple, I really want to make it work with Android.
    jairusz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by parchping View Post
    Here's what I see:
    A number of people with problems.
    A number of people without problems, or maybe just screen auto brightness.
    A remarkably crude fix of resetting the machine.

Maybe the problem isn't with 4.2. Maybe the problem is with some group of apps that some people have and some people don't.
    If people pool their smarts and compare details, they will get a lot farther than just showing how irritated they are.
    That can't be the case. I didn't add or delete apps, just 4.2.

I haven't had any issues with 4.2 on my N7 but I did a factory reset after "forcing" the OTA update.

The 2 problems I seem to be having after the update are... Volume is lower and random reboots. The random reboots are the biggest problem for me. It rebooted once just sitting idle at the home screen. Before the update I had 0 problems. I pre-ordered my 16g model back in July. I did a factory reset yesterday, and I just had it reboot on me.

For those who want 4.2, and you are interested, willing and able, I suggest unlocking, rooting, and running CleanRom. It's basically a stock 4.2 ROM, stable and smooth as heck, and battery life actually seems a bit better than stock. I've been running it on my N7 for a few days now with zero issues.

[ROM][11/19][JB 4.2] - CleanROM 2.5 -★| Where Performance Meets Stability ! |★- - xda-developers

EDIT: there is also a stock 4.2 ROM, but I have not tried that one, so cannot say one way or another about it. However, it looks like it was put together by the same dev who dod CleanRom, which I CAN say is the bees knees, with zero issues.

[ROM][11/14][JB 4.2] Stock Rooted (Works!) - JOP40C - Apps De-Odexed! - xda-developers

If you don't want to go that route, and are having issues with the update, a factory reset seems to be the answer, as much of a pita that can be at times. No, it shouldn't be this way, but it is, so do what you gotta do and get your awesome N7 back on its feet and enjoy it. I did a reset after the 4.2 update and my N7 seemed to be running fine, but I decided to go ahead and unlock/root/ROM that sucka!
    Last edited by lpt2569; 11-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast