Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean 4.2 debacle

All of my issues have gotten better since dropping nova and going back to the stock launcher.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRight View Post
    All of my issues have gotten better since dropping nova and going back to the stock launcher.

Yeah, I noticed Nova was acting wonky for me too. But running it now with a custom ROM and having no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Not sure what your issues are/were but I am really liking the 4.2 OS on my stock Nexus 7 and my rooted Galaxy Nexus phone. Stable, quick/snappy and smooth overall. I think a lot of users are confusing apps that aren't working (updated) to work with this new OS. Many times it's the apps not the OS that is the culprit for your woes. Damn you Google for updating your operating system too quickly and often so that app devs are having trouble keeping up, hahaha.

Do not upgrade to 4.2 I just had to send my Nexus 7 back because it would not power up. It was still under warranty so there sending me a new one no questions asked.

My 7 working just fine after 4.2 with no bugs or crashes at all. But in all honestly I really think I paid my dues with my Asus Transformer and the ICE upgrade. Almost dumped all of my android gear and jumped on the Apple bandwagon after that nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Yeah I know helpful post right?
    NO. So don't bother please.

Those of you with issues, make sure you have 3gb or more of free space.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    NO. So don't bother please.

Those of you with issues, make sure you have 3gb or more of free space.
    You never know, might be useful to someone. I certainly felt better

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    Is it just me or is the device much quieter now? It seems that my volume boosting app doesn't boost the volume on movies as loud as it used to be before the update.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe. I was turning up my volume and got a warning that I could hurt my ears. I wasn't even halfway

Since getting the 4.2 update on my Nexus 7, I have noticed that it seems a little laggy. Or it could just be that i'm getting used to the incredible butteriness of the Nexus 4, so now it seems a little laggy in comparison
    - Motorola Atrix 2 - Nexus 7 - Nexus 4

I'm adding this to my original post on this topic.

I had a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 that I returned for the N7 that had an annoying issue that now has surfaced on the N7 since the update. It seems almost like a video horsepower issue to me. On the Tab 2 After installing quite a few apps, the screen swipe became very difficult. The screen would not advance from one to another without several attempts and the original screen would "bounce back" into position rather than the next one "taking over." Out of the box when the Tab 2 was relatively clean of additional apps, the screen swipe seemed fine. Well, now since the 4.2 update abortion from Google, my N7 is now behaving in the same manner - just like ICS and not the "Buttery Smooth" element that Google delivered in my factory version of Jelly Bean. GRRRRRR......

Original Post Below:

My Nook7 was flawless prior to the update - now it is frustrating to use.

WiFi Connection is extremely erratic.

I need to do a cold start in order to get connection about 80% of the time. So much for letting my N& go into hibernate anymore. I now need to do a shutdown if I expect WiFi to work when I want to use it again.

Beautiful Widget Weather/Clock Widget takes forever to appear on start up.

I'm really ticked at the lack of QCing for support for Google's own tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Palermo View Post
    Do not upgrade to 4.2 I just had to send my Nexus 7 back because it would not power up. It was still under warranty so there sending me a new one no questions asked.
    I am running 4.2 on two devices (Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus ) with zero issues, that's a broad statement to make that anyone downloading the new OS 4.2 is going to have problems.....

Only issue most of us have is no December in the People app

Quote Originally Posted by iCrank View Post
    I don't have any issues with 4.2 on my Nexus 7.

loving 4.2. on my Nexus 7
    Neither do I

Sent from planet earth

Quote Originally Posted by flux capacitor View Post
    Really? So when ms issues a batch of new patches on Patch Tuesday u reformat and reinstall everything? this is not a case of ICS to JB . 4.1 to 4.2 isn't something that should require this much headaches.

4.1 to 4.2 is a major update, especially since it was released with a new Nexus device. An example of a minor update would be a change in the build version but not the OS version (this happened on the Galaxy Nexus, going from 4.0.2 to a newer version of 4.0.2). Many developers of ROMs/kernels have been complaining because so many things changed in 4.2, and they could not easily update their ROMs/kernels.

Im having a number of the issues, from random reboots to erratic bluetooth performance. ive done hard resets to no avail. Havent done a factory restore because im a little paranoid about losing my data (my contacts particularly) and mostly the problems are just an annoyance.

Mine does the same

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

I am brand new to Android but have a history with webOS and took the dip with the Nexus 7 when the 32Gb landed at the start of November (in the UK).

Android is a shock to the system, a different way of working, and clearly Android has some way to go before I would consider migrating fully off webOS.

My Nexus 7 came with 4.1.2 but that updated to 4.1.7 on initial set-up. When 4.2 update came I updated immediately. I have to say I did suffer horrendously with the wi-fi issue on updating to 4.2, wi-fi would continually fail to connect or drop off after a few minutes. It was not really usable so I had to do a factory reset as a clean start. That really was a learning experience. Thanks to App Backup and Restore a little less painless than it may have been!

Biggest shock after the update was that numerous apps were not compatible with my device! Something entirely alien to me coming from the webOS world - where updates were always a painless and helpful process. I lost some fairly key apps (BBC iPlayer for one as a UK resident!), but managed to install from the backed up version the next day once I figured that the settings for apps had defaulted back to only the approved Play Store.

Since the factory reset I have had no issues with 4.2. So back up and running again, loving the 7's form factor, and knowing I'm going to enjoy getting Open webOS on it sometime next year. Never say never though, who knows one day (long way down the road) maybe Android will be my platform of choice!
    About me - PalmOS > webOS, now trying out Android...
    Mobile: HP Pre 3 | Tablets: HP TouchPad & Google Nexus 7 (4.2)
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by mike37918 View Post
    Im having a number of the issues, from random reboots to erratic bluetooth performance. ive done hard resets to no avail. Havent done a factory restore because im a little paranoid about losing my data (my contacts particularly) and mostly the problems are just an annoyance.
    You should be backing that stuff up to Google... Pictures to Dropbox or the lime

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

I was having the random reboot blues, so I did the factory reset, piece of cake. All of my apps automatically reinstalled themselves, which was time consuming but effortless. Good job there, Google.

Everything seems fine again. We shall see how long that keeps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3...

I found this and even though I never use Google Currents I tried it anyway and it really really worked!! Also shared it on Twitter with people noticing lag since 4.2

Make sure to reboot afterwards

My nexus 7 is flying again now

Hope it works for the rest of you

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jcochran1977 View Post
    I found this and even though I never use Google Currents I tried it anyway and it really really worked!! Also shared it on Twitter with people noticing lag since 4.2

Make sure to reboot afterwards

My nexus 7 is flying again now

Hope it works for the rest of you

gonna try this....mine has been laggy since 4.2....even the wife mentioned it and asked what was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jjhoneck View Post
    I was having the random reboot blues, so I did the factory reset, piece of cake. All of my apps automatically reinstalled themselves, which was time consuming but effortless. Good job there, Google.

Everything seems fine again. We shall see how long that keeps.
    Hi there this must be basic to most of you but being new to Android how does one do back up and restore so all APS etc automatically download after a factory reset? I recently did a factory reset and though I got my books automatically I had to download all my apps again. And as has been said in the UK BBC iPlayer is a pain because it needs flash downloading as well.any help greatfully received.Ta
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL88 View Post
    I did a factory reset from settings menu. Yes it is a pain to have to reload all your apps but for me it was worth it. I had horrible battery life after 4.2 and tried all I could short of doing a reset but nothing worked. After the reset my battery life is back to normal.
    Is the reset pretty straight forward? Are you prompted to answer any weird question. Am still waiting for delivery of my N7.

Quote Originally Posted by comandoed View Post
    Is the reset pretty straight forward? Are you prompted to answer any weird question. Am still waiting for delivery of my N7.
    Factory reset returns it to the "out of the box, new" condition, so you have to set up again. If you have "backup and restore" enabled for your Google account (I forget which setting it's in for 4.2), many of your contacts, calendar events, etc will automagically download after entering your Gmail account info.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL88 View Post
    Doing a factory reset resolved all my issues with 4.2. Unfortunately it seems Android needs a reset after an OS update, it should not be that way but for me it always seems to be a necessity for optimal performance. If all else fails do the reset.
    Factory reset cleared most of my issues as well. However I still get random reboots from time to time.

Sent from my HTC One S
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast