Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean 4.2 debacle

Quote Originally Posted by jcochran1977 View Post
    I found this and even though I never use Google Currents I tried it anyway and it really really worked!! Also shared it on Twitter with people noticing lag since 4.2

Does your Nexus 7 lag after the 4.2 update? There’s a fix for that | TalkAndroid.com

Make sure to reboot afterwards

My nexus 7 is flying again now

Hope it works for the rest of you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    That's interesting, I've had Google Currents disabled since the day I got my Nexus 7, I didn't like it and didn't want it and have never had any problems with lag or any of the other problems people have reported either before or after 4.2, maybe that's why?

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Palermo View Post
    Do not upgrade to 4.2 I just had to send my Nexus 7 back because it would not power up. It was still under warranty so there sending me a new one no questions asked.

Nexus 7 bricked by 4.2! Replacement on the way.

My son played angry birds till the battery died and put it on the shelf without recharging. When I picked it up and hit the power button, it immediately went into shutdown due to dead battery. After charging all night, all attempts to restart failed fantastically. First I would see the Google splash screen followed by the "X" screen and get stuck there. Then subsequent attempts to reboot were followed the Google screen to "X" screen to a screen displaying static or snow and get stuck there (never seen that before). Then after powering down and back up with long power button presses, it would then just go to faint blue background illumination and get stuck there, not even the Google screen or "X" screen. Tried hard resets, long power button presses, display now only flashes between faint background illumination and total black every 5 seconds or so.

Called Google customer support this morning (called ASUS first, big mistake, dont waste your time) they didnt sound very surprised. Said they know of this type of issue with very early devices (ordered my Nexus day 1). Long story short, new one in the mail today. He mentioned that they are working on getting a fix out there for this problem, but its not ready yet. So if you were an early device purchaser, you may want to wait before installing 4.2, mine was the 8 GB version.

My Nexus 7 upgrade to 4.2 made my bluetooth useless and broke some apps. This was critical enough for me that I went through the not so simple process of downgrading to 4.1.2. Now everything's good again -- except for the "update later" prompts that I get on nearly an hourly basis. If Google is going to put out rapid releases of beta grade software then they need to allow us to choose whether we want to upgrade. I also have the added stress that someone (like my kids) will be on my device and push the wrong button - oila, I'm back to 4.2! Please, let ME decide when to upgrade, and then maybe ask me every 30 days, or 90, or never! Certainly not hourly!!!!!!! I was happy on 4.1.2, so let me keep using it. Even Microsoft gives me, the user, the choice of when to upgrade. Bad Google! Bad, bad, bad!

And Google does not get off the hook saying that apps are a 3rd party responsibility. That excuse never worked for MS, and it shouldn't work for Google. Google needs to put the OS out there in Beta long enough for developers to respond to the changes BEFORE they force us all to adopt their new "wonderful" update. They need to learn that the purpose of an OS is to run apps -- its the apps that matter, NOT the OS -- they can't expect individual developers and small companies to be able to react immediately to every OS update. Microsoft knows that it takes many months before an OS goes out. Google needs to learn that we, the customers, want a release to be solid more than we want it now, and we want to be able to continue to run the apps that we wanted to run when we bought the device.

The only problems I've experienced have been:
    1) Norton Tablet Security stopped working and had to be re- installed.
    2) Using the stock book reader, if I was slow in reading a page the tab would go into sleep mode.
    Otherwise, its still the great, problem-free device I've had since new.

Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    Nexus 7 bricked by 4.2! Replacement on the way.

My son played angry birds till the battery died and put it on the shelf without recharging.
    Duplicate post. And spamming it twice still doesn't make it a 4.2 issue. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Duplicate post. And spamming it twice still doesn't make it a 4.2 issue. :P
    3 times actually...
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Only getting the word out to those that care. It was the Google tech person that said it was due to 4.2. Again, passing along info that I know I sometimes look for. I posted this in the few threads that seemed related to the problem, because before I called Google this is where I looked for an answer.

Nerdy twerps are cordially invited to ignore and f-off.

Fair enough. When you get the replacement, please repeat those steps (let son kill battery playing a game, then let sit before trying to charge) and let us know if it's still a problem.

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Google rep said it was affecting the early devices the most. Ergo this replacement device is not expected to behave similarly. Thanks for the brilliant idea though
    Just received replacement today, had a look, and the version is 4.1 Think I'll wait a bit before installing 4.2. Another of the issues I had after the update to 4.2 was that neither Apex launcher or Nova launcher worked anymore. I hate the stock launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    ... Think I'll wait a bit before installing 4.2. Another of the issues I had after the update to 4.2 was that neither Apex launcher or Nova launcher worked anymore. I hate the stock launcher.
    For what it's worth, I'm @ 4.2.1 and the Apex launcher is working fine. Though ... I only started using it last night.

4.2 has caused Aviation navigation app to fail on my Nexus 7. Went back to 4.1.2 and all is well. A OS upgrade that changes memory management i would think is unacceptable.. still awaiting fix from application developer
    I/DEBUG ( 124): Build fingerprint: 'google/nakasi/grouper:4.2/JOP40C/527662:user/release-keys'
    I/DEBUG ( 124): Revision: '0'
    I/DEBUG ( 124): pid: 18403, tid: 18415, name: Thread-1022 >>> com.control.awm <<<
    I/DEBUG ( 124): signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1 (SEGV_MAPERR), fault addr cff70c00

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Guzzi View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm @ 4.2.1 and the Apex launcher is working fine. Though ... I only started using it last night.

Thats good news. I just redownloaded the apex launcher on the new N7, and while I was there i was reading some reviews. Someone posted that the launcher has just been updated twice in the last few days to work with 4.2 That is impressive on their part. Still got cold feet though.

How to make your phone work:
    Root Phone: How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S3 – XDA Developer TV – xda-developers
    Install Blackbean 7: – Downloads
    Enjoy smooth operation, great battery life, and the same BT audio probs that all of 4.2 seem to have. But I am having good luck with Speaker boost.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234