Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean 4.2 debacle

ep1977

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I have wit my N7 is the poor battery life and long charging times. The switch to 4.2 didn't change this for good or worse.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The only difference is the update. I haven't displaced anything new or added anything to the device. It was running flawlessly before the update at least four me. I've already decided that I'm just gonna sick it up and do a factory reset though..

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
But... But... It is a Nexus! This is Android the way Google intended it.

It isn't a defect but a feature...

Yeah I know helpful post right?

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
do you mean a device cache clear out - this appears to work - but laggyness came back with 48 hours

I did a factory reset from settings menu. Yes it is a pain to have to reload all your apps but for me it was worth it. I had horrible battery life after 4.2 and tried all I could short of doing a reset but nothing worked. After the reset my battery life is back to normal.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Only minor issue most of us are having is the screen dimming on occasion, and the month of December being gone in the People app. Super fast, very stable, great tablet.

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
We shouldn't have to reset after every update. That is completely unacceptable. Imagine if you had to reformat and reinstall Windows every time a major update came out. Ive been having nothing but trouble with 4.2. Lag, reboots, when is Google gonna get their act together. Remember the awful performance when having less than 6gb free? Still not fixed. Ffs.

I didn't pay $250 for a device to be a beta tester. I'd rather have stable software than what ever is bleeding edge.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
We shouldn't have to reset after every update. That is completely unacceptable. Imagine if you had to reformat and reinstall Windows every time a major update came out. Ive been having nothing but trouble with 4.2. Lag, reboots, when is Google gonna get their act together. Remember the awful performance when having less than 6gb free? Still not fixed. Ffs.

I didn't pay $250 for a device to be a beta tester. I'd rather have stable software than what ever is bleeding edge.

I do. Did a clean install with Windows XP, Windows 7, and the last 4 versions of OSX :)

Sent from my Nexus 4

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

^ Co-freaking-sign. They either aren't paying their testers enough or they wanted us to beta test for them. Either way, it was a really stupid decision to release this mess on their flagship devices. Don't treat us paying customers as if we're participating in one of their years long beta services. After reading about Google leaving a two year old bug go unfixed, it seems now isn't a good time to be an Android user.

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Really? So when ms issues a batch of new patches on Patch Tuesday u reformat and reinstall everything? this is not a case of ICS to JB . 4.1 to 4.2 isn't something that should require this much headaches.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
^ Co-freaking-sign. They either aren't paying their testers enough or they wanted us to beta test for them. Either way, it was a really stupid decision to release this mess on their flagship devices. Don't treat us paying customers as if we're participating in one of their years long beta services. After reading about Google leaving a two year old bug go unfixed, it seems now isn't a good time to be an Android user.

Correction, INexus user. My sgs3 runs fine

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

parchping

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Here's what I see:
A number of people with problems.
A number of people without problems, or maybe just screen auto brightness.
A remarkably crude fix of resetting the machine.

Maybe the problem isn't with 4.2. Maybe the problem is with some group of apps that some people have and some people don't.
If people pool their smarts and compare details, they will get a lot farther than just showing how irritated they are.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Doing a factory reset resolved all my issues with 4.2. Unfortunately it seems Android needs a reset after an OS update, it should not be that way but for me it always seems to be a necessity for optimal performance. If all else fails do the reset.

+1 on this. Its a hassle but it worked for me.

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
My Nook7 was flawless prior to the update - now it is frustrating to use.

WiFi Connection is extremely erratic.

I need to do a cold start in order to get connection about 80% of the time.

Amazon App Store Sh#$-The-Bed and refuses to remember my password. (maybe a Google Play Store conspiracy....)

Beautiful Widget Weather/Clock Widget takes forever to appear on start up.

I'm really ticked at the lack of QCing for support for Google's own tablet.

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have heard all of these problems and I honestly don't have any of them on my Nexus 7. (Thankfully)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Really? So when ms issues a batch of new patches on Patch Tuesday u reformat and reinstall everything? this is not a case of ICS to JB . 4.1 to 4.2 isn't something that should require this much headaches.

Not wanting to stick my foot into the "reset" / "we shouldn't have to reset" debate here, but ...

It's an all too common misconception that something like 4.1 -> 4.2 is a minor update, while in most cases that's just not true. The way the vast majority of development houses number things, that first decimal point is a major release change. Bundles many changes - some obvious and some under the wrappers. The minor releases (like 4.1.1 & 4.1.2) are normally just bug fixes and sometimes a minor feature or two.

Also, the term minor isn't in our - the users - perception as to how large or small a difference something makes in our lives. It's primarily the amount of code that needs changing and the level of risk for a bug regression.

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
However big an update may be, its simply unacceptable to have reset and reinstall and reconfigure everytime an update is issued. I just can't go thru all that again. I,ve spent so much time tweaking and setting up my apps and now I gotta do it all over again because Google can't figure out how to make an update not suck? I'm seriously considering just giving this thing to my nephew so he can play the games alone, and I'll check out the mini too see how things are in iOS land. Ive had the n7 since September and while there are things I like very much about it and android overall, I've frankly have a good bit of buyers remorse.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
My Nook7 was flawless prior to the update - now it is frustrating to use.

WiFi Connection is extremely erratic.

I need to do a cold start in order to get connection about 80% of the time.

Amazon App Store Sh#$-The-Bed and refuses to remember my password. (maybe a Google Play Store conspiracy....)

Beautiful Widget Weather/Clock Widget takes forever to appear on start up.

I'm really ticked at the lack of QCing for support for Google's own tablet.

The amazon bug was Amazon's fault. If you're still having that issue, it's because you haven't installed their update.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or is the device much quieter now? It seems that my volume boosting app doesn't boost the volume on movies as loud as it used to be before the update.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2