Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean 4.2 debacle

Bookworm88

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Several times after cold booting a message popped up saying wi fi finder has stopped working and then after a few seconds it finds my network. Playing music over bluetooth to my Jawbone Jambox is one skip after another, totally unusable. Great job, Google.

MaddSkillz

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The only issue I've noticed is that Bluetooth no longer works when I want to tether it to my phone. Bluetooth works for my BT mouse and keyboard but the tethering is no longer functional. I was using Open Garden with 4.1 and now it will not work. This same problem is being reported by a lot of people. The update certainly adversely affected this function.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Now that Google is pushing the Nexus device to the general public, they really need a setting that ignores any OS updates for 4 weeks so developers have a chance to get their apps fixed. Leave it ON by default, and anyone who wants immediate updates (developers and those of us who bought the Nexus so we could be on the bleeding edge, knowing that it's not called the "bleeding edge" for nothing) can turn it off by going into developer options and checking "Immediate OS Updates" or something. Maybe have a setting at the release level relative to the impact of the upgrade (X.00 releases wait 6 weeks, 0.X0 releases which are usually a new named version wait 4 weeks, 0.0X releases wait 2 weeks).

This was a fairly significant release, and I'm frankly surprised Google didn't decide to call it Key Lime Pie to befit its 0.X0 version increment. It's going to cause some confusion, because a lot of phones that are getting "Jelly Bean" in the coming months are going to be getting some variant of 4.1, and go looking for multi-user support, configurable lockscreen widgets, dreamtime, photosphere, swiping native keyboard, etc, and it's not going to be there.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For the first day after updating, things seemed fine, but then it started dragging like an underpowered ICS device and battery life was abysmal. Clearing the cache helped speed for a little while, but the power drain was untenable, so I bit the bullet and did a factory reset and things seem much better. Because I'd ticked the box to back my device up to Google, I didn't have to do a thing to get my apps back on for they redownloaded themselves. Nice. Yes, there are some PITA aspects, like getting your sideloaded Kindle books back to where you left off, but oh well.

Yes, it's a pain, but the fact that the negative effects are so hit and miss indicates there's something more happening than just a bad update. Are there variances in the builds of N7s (i.e. earlier units have different components or something) or are there certain combos of hacks, apps, tweaks, etc. that are more susceptible to problems?

Purplelinny

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
After reading about Google leaving a two year old bug go unfixed, it seems now isn't a good time to be an Android user.

:'(

I've just come to Android from iPhone. Been an avid Google user for years, so finally took the plunge. This Nexus 7 is driving me up the wall with screen flicker and I'm going round in circles with replacement devices. Also had the reboot issue, which I think is resolved. And, I'm still in my 14 day tryout period with my new HTC One X+. Loving the phone, but get random hiccups when playing music. While I'm tempted to go back to Apple, I really want to make it work with Android. :confused:

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I see:
A number of people with problems.
A number of people without problems, or maybe just screen auto brightness.
A remarkably crude fix of resetting the machine.

Maybe the problem isn't with 4.2. Maybe the problem is with some group of apps that some people have and some people don't.
If people pool their smarts and compare details, they will get a lot farther than just showing how irritated they are.

That can't be the case. I didn't add or delete apps, just 4.2.

Boomer52

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
The 2 problems I seem to be having after the update are... Volume is lower and random reboots. The random reboots are the biggest problem for me. It rebooted once just sitting idle at the home screen. Before the update I had 0 problems. I pre-ordered my 16g model back in July. I did a factory reset yesterday, and I just had it reboot on me.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
For those who want 4.2, and you are interested, willing and able, I suggest unlocking, rooting, and running CleanRom. It's basically a stock 4.2 ROM, stable and smooth as heck, and battery life actually seems a bit better than stock. I've been running it on my N7 for a few days now with zero issues.

[ROM][11/19][JB 4.2] - CleanROM 2.5 -★| Where Performance Meets Stability ! |★- - xda-developers

EDIT: there is also a stock 4.2 ROM, but I have not tried that one, so cannot say one way or another about it. However, it looks like it was put together by the same dev who dod CleanRom, which I CAN say is the bees knees, with zero issues.

[ROM][11/14][JB 4.2] Stock Rooted (Works!) - JOP40C - Apps De-Odexed! - xda-developers

If you don't want to go that route, and are having issues with the update, a factory reset seems to be the answer, as much of a pita that can be at times. No, it shouldn't be this way, but it is, so do what you gotta do and get your awesome N7 back on its feet and enjoy it. I did a reset after the 4.2 update and my N7 seemed to be running fine, but I decided to go ahead and unlock/root/ROM that sucka!

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
All of my issues have gotten better since dropping nova and going back to the stock launcher.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Yeah, I noticed Nova was acting wonky for me too. But running it now with a custom ROM and having no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

lucky sevens

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what your issues are/were but I am really liking the 4.2 OS on my stock Nexus 7 and my rooted Galaxy Nexus phone. Stable, quick/snappy and smooth overall. I think a lot of users are confusing apps that aren't working (updated) to work with this new OS. Many times it's the apps not the OS that is the culprit for your woes. Damn you Google for updating your operating system too quickly and often so that app devs are having trouble keeping up, hahaha.

Tom Palermo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Do not upgrade to 4.2 I just had to send my Nexus 7 back because it would not power up. It was still under warranty so there sending me a new one no questions asked.

lwoolen

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
My 7 working just fine after 4.2 with no bugs or crashes at all. But in all honestly I really think I paid my dues with my Asus Transformer and the ICE upgrade. Almost dumped all of my android gear and jumped on the Apple bandwagon after that nightmare.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or is the device much quieter now? It seems that my volume boosting app doesn't boost the volume on movies as loud as it used to be before the update.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe. I was turning up my volume and got a warning that I could hurt my ears. I wasn't even halfway

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Since getting the 4.2 update on my Nexus 7, I have noticed that it seems a little laggy. Or it could just be that i'm getting used to the incredible butteriness of the Nexus 4, so now it seems a little laggy in comparison :p

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm adding this to my original post on this topic.

I had a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 that I returned for the N7 that had an annoying issue that now has surfaced on the N7 since the update. It seems almost like a video horsepower issue to me. On the Tab 2 After installing quite a few apps, the screen swipe became very difficult. The screen would not advance from one to another without several attempts and the original screen would "bounce back" into position rather than the next one "taking over." Out of the box when the Tab 2 was relatively clean of additional apps, the screen swipe seemed fine. Well, now since the 4.2 update abortion from Google, my N7 is now behaving in the same manner - just like ICS and not the "Buttery Smooth" element that Google delivered in my factory version of Jelly Bean. GRRRRRR......

Original Post Below:

My Nook7 was flawless prior to the update - now it is frustrating to use.

WiFi Connection is extremely erratic.

I need to do a cold start in order to get connection about 80% of the time. So much for letting my N& go into hibernate anymore. I now need to do a shutdown if I expect WiFi to work when I want to use it again.

Beautiful Widget Weather/Clock Widget takes forever to appear on start up.

I'm really ticked at the lack of QCing for support for Google's own tablet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance