Nexus 7: Loose Micro-USB port!

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have a problem with my Nexus 7. Over the last few weeks, the charging port has become loose/faulty. To get it to charge now, I have to apply a light bit of downwards pressure (when the face is up) to get it to charge. This is a pain because now when I charge, I have to put weight on the cable to connect it. Also, I think this is related, I'm having trouble connecting to my computer. Even when it shows it's charging, it won't connect as a USB device anymore and might come up with an error.

Does anyone else have these problems and do they have a fix?

BTW, I can feel a bit of play with my port but it doesn't look particularly bent or out of shape...

Sent from my Nexus 7 :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Loose Micro-USB port!

I had that problem when I accidentally knocked the N7 down from my nightstand. I realized it wasn't the port but the cable itself when I used another USB cable. Hopefully it could be on the cable end and not the N7.

Sent from a tablet on a crappy OS, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

I had that problem when I accidentally knocked the N7 down from my nightstand. I realized it wasn't the port but the cable itself when I used another USB cable. Hopefully it could be on the cable end and not the N7.

Sent from a tablet on a crappy OS, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

Thanks for replying! I had thought that it might be the cable but it doesn't seem to wobble too much. Was yours loose?

Sent from my Nexus 7

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I have the opposite problem..
I find my connector a tad hard to insert -N7 is quite new, bought it two weeks ago. Can't wait to have a charging dock, using the side pins, instead of the USB connector.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

I have the opposite problem..
I find my connector a tad hard to insert -N7 is quite new, bought it two weeks ago. Can't wait to have a charging dock, using the side pins, instead of the USB connector.

I did have that problem but it has worked it's way loose!
A charging dock would be great.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Jay Barstow

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Yup ... same issue ...Had to wobble and/or use weight.

Have to replace port, but repair guy can't source parts yet:(!

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

Have you popped the rear cover and looked at it yet? Could just be a loose screw has let the connector work loose.

535528_4684887412674_1970301251_n.jpg

btw, in checking for loose screws, I like to try backing (unscrewing) the screw to see if it's loose, not tighten...

Also the pic is with the speaker module (3 screws) removed...

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

Have you popped the rear cover and looked at it yet? Could just be a loose screw has let the connector work loose.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/535528_4684887412674_1970301251_n.jpg

btw, in checking for loose screws, I like to try backing (unscrewing) the screw to see if it's loose, not tighten...

Also the pic is with the speaker module (3 screws) removed...

Thanks for the help. Funnily enough, when I took it apart, the actual USB port didn't seem loose. This made me suspect the USB cable and when I tried my friends cable, it seemed to be normal. I'm confused though because my cable doesn't seem loose either.
I think I'll try a new charging cable. Do any of you know where to get one?

Tom :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

xzb6np

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

The cable that came with my N7 32gig came apart at the device end. The part you grip slid right of the connector. I used some superglue to fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

voxangelus

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm not happy, exactly, to see that other people are having the same issue - but I am glad to see a teardown link. We've tried every micro-usb charger in the house on our Nexus 7 since yesterday and nada.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm not happy, exactly, to see that other people are having the same issue - but I am glad to see a teardown link. We've tried every micro-usb charger in the house on our Nexus 7 since yesterday and nada.

I'm really confused because I tried a USB OTG and it works fine. I'm thinking that I might have to buy a dock now, just so I can charge via the Pogo pins :-(

voxangelus

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm really confused because I tried a USB OTG and it works fine. I'm thinking that I might have to buy a dock now, just so I can charge via the Pogo pins :-(

It'd be great to get a dock - if any of the stores could keep them in stock. But I'm offended that I'd have to pay another $40 just to charge my device when it shouldn't be having this problem in the first place.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie